Do the significant others have a regular meeting called ATAFAOAI

Pete H

That would be Attached to an Audio Freak and Own an IPOD. My wanna be wife is struggling along with my refreshed audio addiction and has no where to turn. Last week she got really excited that I gave a pair of Klipsch to a good friend (actually we bartered and there are more tools in the shop), that she thought I was making progress. Though I am making progress, the progress is in the direction of major upgrades including the build of a custom set of Jamboree's, selling the Onkyo and going to a kick *** HT processer and taking the amps to a new level and integrating a movie screen and HD projector and Network ready HT processom into the mix. She just doesn't understand. If any of you have a significant other that feels the same way, could I please have the meeting information, as I'm sure it will help my beloved Denise.

Sincerely,

Hopelessly in love with Klipsch and Fine Audio.[8][:'(][um][pi][<:o)]

My wife is honestly happy listening to the little 2" speakers on the TV. They are after all, in stereo you know [^o)]

She is a VERY asthetics kinda gal... putting form above function ANY and EVERY time the choice might come up. She would rather build some shelves out of 1/4" plywood that was pretty verses using 2x4 construction with 3/4" shelves that might not be as light & pretty but will work without caving in. She'd rather spend $500 on a stamped metal mower that will rust out after several years, than $1,500 on something made of 1/4" steel that will last a lifetime. (she'd be happy to spend $3,000 on the stamped metal mower if it was prettier than the 1/4" steel....it's not about saving the money, it's about looking good verses being built to last & looking heavy duty)

Sucks to be her in that when I shelved the closet, I happened to have 2x4's and 2x6's laying around... [:o] [A]

Now my pretty wife is going to have 2 black Jubilees and three LaScalas in the same room. She has approached the state of being catatonic more than once. [:|]

to be honest.... if I hadn't already had the LaScalas when she met me (as well as two EV Interface D's) she would have probably filed for divorce already.

[Y]

As much as she detests these things (and trust me, she really does detest them) she's finally stiffened her back enough to admit that ugly though they are, they DO sound very very veryyyyyyyyyyyy good.

She will then quickly tell me that those little cube type speakers (yes, those) sound 'just as good'.

I simply repeat my vows to myself... til death do us part.... til death do us part.... I then steal a glance outside at my industrial backhoe, realizing that we live on 250 acres, surrounded by another 300 or so acres of woods.... then I usually slap myself. [8o|] [^o)] [:#] [A]

Ultimately, my wife realizes (or so I think) that as stubborn as she can be and as willing as I am to go along with virtually anything she wants... I too can be stubborn. Actually, I can be more stubborn than her and my audio stuff is where she knows that line is drawn. Beyond that, I don't really care if I live in a house full of flowers & butterfly painted walls & fabrics.

I feel we have a happy medium...and she of course, feels that she's doing all the compromising. go figure.

As many here know, my Kecia is always referred to here as the PAW...Perfect Audiophile Wife. There are now 5 systems in the house, two of them major. A little over a year ago in a period of cash shortage (consisting of the latter half of the 20th century and all of the 21rst to date) I rec'd a note from a note one day of a pair of Frazier Elevens on Craigs List at 400 dollars, 550 lbs, and only a couple of hundred miles away. I mentioned it sadly in sort of a "Such a shame..." way and she simply walked on through saying "O fer chrisakes go get the damn things..."

I've been very good sense then...

This too, shall pass.

Dave

Guest davidness

than $1,500 on something made of 1/4" steel that will last a lifetime

OT: I need a new mower (self propelled), and would pay $1500 for one that would last. You seem like you have an opinion on this, Please let me know! (Sorry for Off-Topic post)

OT: I need a new mower (self propelled), and would pay $1500 for one that would last. You seem like you have an opinion on this, Please let me know! (Sorry for Off-Topic post)

Sorry, but off topic.

Hey Davidness, I've owned and operated a Landscaping/Gardening business in Sunny California, for over 14 years now and I recommend TORO commercial mowers. The last one I purchased was just about a year ago and it cost me just under $1400. For residential use, it should last forever, if taken care of.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program........

Dennie

Coytee all I can say is you better stay pretty !

When you have a Brutus at your disposal, it's enough to impress any woman. Brutus is of course, my industrial backhoe. [<:o)]

As I was typing, for brevity I didn't clarify... I was referring to a seven foot rear finish mower, pulled by a tractor as contrasted with the stamped steel riding mower that she originally bought (and I beat to snot cutting our yard and the field in front of us) Was kind of funny because the "lug nuts" on this riding mower were actually little "C" clips and I'd be out in the field which I'll admit was not a "lawn" but rather an old pasture which was rougher than a lawn, and one of these C clips would pop off and the wheel would then pop off. I'd be out of business for 1-3 days as I had to go to work (25 miles) and call the local shop to see if they had the parts and drive another 30 miles FARTHER to get said parts, then drive the 55 miles back home. It was really, the wrong tool for the job but it was 'cute'.

Hey Davidness, I've owned and operated a Landscaping/Gardening business in Sunny California, for over 14 years now and I recommend TORO commercial mowers. The last one I purchased was just about a year ago and it cost me just under $1400. For residential use, it should last forever, if taken care of.

There ya go Davidness!!! When I was thinking of something like a new rider, instead of a tractor pulled (we also have a larger tractor with 10' and a 15' mower for the bigger fields) I was looking into getting either a Kubota diesel for the yard...or... I finally stumbled onto Ferris. The Ferris is pretty cool because it has an actual suspension, instead of simply using the bounce in the tires to cushion the ride. Only problem is, it is something like 14/15 thousand and I have a hard time paying that for what I need to do on a home owner level. These are more expensive than their gasoline counterparts because I was looking specifically at the diesel versions so I can have one fuel stored.

I'm more than tickled using my 7' finish mower behind the 45 year old tractor. Gives me a grand excuse to put my Custom 3's in my ears and have at it [8]

• Moderators

As I was typing, for brevity I didn't clarify... I was referring to a seven foot rear finish mower, pulled by a tractor as contrasted with the stamped steel riding mower that she originally bought

I know what you are talking about I have a 6' finish mower, I LOVE that thing in the summer. People might think I am nuts but I really like to cut grass, or I really like the way it looks after it's cut. I don't have as much grass to cut as you so 6 acres is nothing compared to the fields you cut. [:o]

I, too, love mowing the lawn: Its' the only two hours of my week when the task is adequately defined, I can look back and see progress, and look forward and see see completion!

(Quoted from the email signature of a friend... the one that started me on Klipsch as it happens...)

Ok guys... I have a fabulous idea.... even though we all enjoy our mowing, we also enjoy hearing our systems.

Here's the challange:

We all need to get our wives or girlfriends (or both if you're a Tiger [^o)]) out mowing the yards/pastures/fields so WE can have more quality time sitting in front of our systems appreciating them. Winner of the challange is the person who has his 'gals' doing the most cutting as measured in hours spent cutting (ie, out of your hair so you have all the quality time you want). Maybe the prize will be a beer or something to the winner.

Knowing what I know...I guess I'll buy the first round & watch you others type about the success you've had and what a great idea this was... [:(]

I have found that after using my Bobcat and the Land Plane attachment a few times, anything that is growing is gone and I am down to bare dirt so there is nothing to mow for the rest of the summer, thus freeing me from that chore. This may or may not work for you IDK[:P]

Back to the topic:

My wife just looks at me, asks if we can afford it then says OK if my answer is to the positive.... 99% of the time. Our home (a lot of this stuff is on the back patio) is filled with industrial equipment from sewing machines (supposed to be hers but I am the only one who uses it as it sews "too fast" for her) to a commercial oven, 3' griddle, commercial espresso machine and 3 commercial coffee grinders, commercial refer and a commercial freezer a 10' long bakers rack and a commercial cooling rack, 3 sets of stereo speakers (plus 2 more pair in the shop along with several in storage) and equipment to power them, a 5.1 and a 7.1 Klipsch HTR setups and a few odds and ends here and there. She is a GEM and after being married for 28 years we know what makes the other happy and trying to keep each others likes and dislikes in mind is just automatic anymore. [Y]

We just got a 20 year old Ariens lawn mower. It had been sitting for about 10 years. I rebuilt the carb, replaced all of the hoses, spark plug, belt, drive wheel and blade. About $150 in parts. It runs like a champ and is so much better than the 5 year old Sears 7 HP model that we have, which will be on Craigslist very soon.

The Ariens is built like a pro model and is just so nice. It is actually overkill as we have exactly 2,000 square feet of grass after out Xeroscape a few years ago (we previously had about 10,000 feet of grass - water bills can get as high as a small mortgage in the desert). Nice mower.

Oh year, my wife thinks that a $50 Walmart sound system is the bomb. Once when she was mad at me she told me that I should get Bose cubes instead of my K Horns because they are better. Its funny the things that we remember.

Cal, it sounds like you have alot of commercial stuff, you have to say it is made better than the normal junk, and Congratulations on the 28 years.

I guess I do.[:S] Every year (the last weekend in Feb), I host a blacksmithing event for 3 days and we cook for about 50 people those 3 days. I buy the stuff at auction for a REAL good price and repair what needs it and convert the Nat Gas stuff to LP so I can run it stand alone style. I do, from time to time use it for personal use but mostly we cook in (did I say WE, I meen I) in our newly rehabbed kitchen. The extra refer or freezer space comes in handy every now and then. I just leave the stuff unpluged and off unless it is needed. I do use the oven to bake bread and cakes and cookies in. It is nice to have a large oven to take full size commercial baking pans and molds in. I suppose if I need to cook, say 10 roasts at a time, I could use the oven for that LOL!

The coffee stuff, I use that every day so it stays in the kitchen, the rest of the cooking stuff (except for the bakers rack and the cooling rack) stay outside along with the 3 bowl and 2 bowl SS sinks, warming oven, refer equipment stand, patio heaters, floor mats etc. etc.[:S][:|]

Cal, it sounds like you have alot of commercial stuff, you have to say it is made better than the normal junk, and Congratulations on the 28 years.

The extra refer or freezer space comes in handy every now and then.

Reefer?

I can see how that would be handy.

-Josh

• Moderators

The extra refer or freezer space comes in handy every now and then.

I don't ever remember having any "extra" reefer, you Califonia guy have it made so much extra reefer you don't even have room in the freezer for any more. [:|]