The Corvette of Loudspeakers? Bang for the Buck limit?

o0O Bill O0o

The analogy I am drawing is based on my perception that the base model Cheverolet Corvette is at the price point where performance is at a near maximum. Any where beyond that you're spending too much for any measured performance.

Example. Corvette vs. Porsche- both awesome, but if you line up all the objective factors the Corvette is the clear winner. If you differ, just state a speaker instead of turning this into a car debate, please.

The fact that money is the limiting factor is the basis for this question. Otherwise if we went for true performance Mercedez or Bugatti - Wilson Audio or Magico (Heck, Klipsch Palladium) would hold the mark has the highest performing products. ( google them if you don't know about what I am using as my comparasion)

Any brand answer, no limitations to how many, place the maxium performance for the money. no limit to what you think point is, even though a 45K corvette is clearly defined- I think the price point is open for discussion.

My limit is 3K a pair ( yes, I own 6K pair speakers, but I didn't pay near that)

I'll start with Klipsch KLF-30, RF-7, JBL 6328P, JBL 6332, Paradigm Studio 100, B&W 600 Series (Current 683)

The KLF-30 plays loud and clear some of the best sound I ever heard. Klipsch RF-7 is a close second.

The JBL 6328P is actually a studio monitor, and the most neutral speaker I have ever heard. The music just comes through like wet paint on a white canvas. The JBL 6332 has even more output than the 6328.

Paradigms always sound great and never have dissappointed me, the studio 100 is just amazing.

B&W makes no joke ULTRA expensive speakers, some say the best, but even there "entry level" speakers really capture all the benefits, the current 683 is a great example of some well designed and sorted out speaker.

It would solve alot of problems if some one had a data base or spreadsheet of all speakers and there price point and then some one came up with standard performance point (i.e. 40 to 18K +/- 2dB @ 105 dB upto 30 degrees off axis) and then let the subjetivests decide how to re-order.[:D]

Used pair of Klipshorns for $2500.

I agree, in this price range used (ahem ... "pre-owned") is the way to go. Price is high enough that used items are almost 100% likely to have been well cared for -- usually a finicky audiophile fell in love with the speaker, lived with it for a while, then fell in love with a newer, younger model.

That said, some of the Legacy Audio products on the used market offer a lot of performance for a reasonable price.

Greg

Bill,

You mentioned that you like the B&W sound so I offer the following.

I just replaced a pair of B&W Signature 800's (the actual Sig 800's http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/600/#) with a pair of Pioneer S-1EX speakers which are actually TAD speakers (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/307piosex/). (I know, but at least the articles are something to go by).

Because of the marketing decision to label these as "Pioneer" they can be had for less than 1/2 of ther retail price of $9000. If you find a used pair (which is difficult), expect to pay $4000 or less.

I do not feel that I gave anything up with these compared to the S800's and a Japanese stereo rag feels that they are the equal of the B&W 800D. They can also be driven by a 200 wpc amp instead of $7,500 to $10,000 monblocks. If they were made by B&W they would be $16,000 and if made by a smaller audio company they would be way more than that.

I also suggest the B&W N802's as a great bargain right now (around $4000 if you are patient) but they need serious amplification so are ultimately more expensive.

Good luck with your quest. (Everyone else, flame away!)

Chris

• Moderators

"Bang for the Buck limit?"

I would think there should be at least two price points, like under $2,500, used Khorns, Forte's, Chorus, LaScala and others. This is where many people are willing to try something new, in this price range.

If your not concerned with "pretty", and want to move into the next price range try the Jubilee. I have heard it side by side with other great speakers. I would put it against speakers in the +30K range when set up correctly for a good bit less than 1/3 of that price. But this is something for someone a bit out of the norm, someone looking for pure sound quality and not a piece of furniture.

The jub is like buying a Corvette with just primer and no paint, no radio, cloth seats and in general stripped down. You get all the performance but none of the cosmetics, but for less than half price of a dressed up model.

I have also heard the Palladiums, Very Nice and great to look at, they could fit into any fancy setting and only improve the look of the room. There sound is right up there with there price, I would say they beat out most speakers costing a good bit more than they do and that's saying alot. I was a little worried about them, thinking I hope they can make them sound as good as they look because that's much harder than just making them look great. But they did, there sound is as good as there looks or better.

Everybody's price range is different, but if your careful there are many great deals, the hard part is deciding what you want !

IMO

• Moderators

No brainer, the Corvette of loudspeakers is the Magnepan 1.6QR, soon to be the 1.7QR. You can put $30,000 worth of electronics in front of them and still not reach their limits.

Thanx, Russ

But part of that is because you almost need a welding machine output for power. [:o]

I don't have any but don't they need big power to really shine ?

I don't have any but don't they (Magnepan 1.6QR) need big power to really shine ?

Oh yeah, big power, just like a Corvette (think Z06)! I know this is the Klipsch forum and I'm a big fan of Klipsch but they are not class leaders in their respective price ranges. Saying used ones are cheap does not make the situation any better, as other speakers are also available used at favorable prices. IMHO, the Klipsch strengths are high efficiency, the Heritage line and solid customer support but not the best bang for the buck unless you are only looking at other horn loudspeaker systems.

Klipschorn or Jubulies are expensive high quality systems but definitely not price leaders. Please don't flame me too hard, please.

Thanx, Russ

Bill,

You mentioned that you like the B&W sound so I offer the following.

I just replaced a pair of B&W Signature 800's (the actual Sig 800's http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/600/#) with a pair of Pioneer S-1EX speakers which are actually TAD speakers (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/307piosex/). (I know, but at least the articles are something to go by).

Because of the marketing decision to label these as "Pioneer" they can be had for less than 1/2 of ther retail price of $9000. If you find a used pair (which is difficult), expect to pay $4000 or less.

I do not feel that I gave anything up with these compared to the S800's and a Japanese stereo rag feels that they are the equal of the B&W 800D. They can also be driven by a 200 wpc amp instead of $7,500 to $10,000 monblocks. If they were made by B&W they would be $16,000 and if made by a smaller audio company they would be way more than that.

I also suggest the B&W N802's as a great bargain right now (around $4000 if you are patient) but they need serious amplification so are ultimately more expensive.

Good luck with your quest. (Everyone else, flame away!)

Chris

Well, what do you know? A day trip away from the OP. Not the S-1's, but the S-3ex's. Local pickup is though, especially with obscure speakers. I see $2500 on these because who is going to pay that much for some Pioneer speakers? (They do have a TAD label on the back and were designed by TAD's chief engineer who designed the TAD 1's using trickle down technology on these). $2500 would be a steal.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1269377043&/Pioneer/TAD-S-3EX-floorstander

I also bought a piece of gear with someone who worked for Theil and he even told me just how good the Pioneer EX speakers are (very similar design to the Theils but a warmer sound).