First & Second La scala Done

kg4guy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to give these Goldwood horns a try at $39. each http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=270-204 I am getting my house in order and will set up a 7.1 system with my Cornscala dbbs as fronts with the 2445J's and 2360A horns with La scalas in the rear and I am going to build another pair of La scalas and use one as a center and I have a few pair of Heresys I will use on the sides.I may offer up a La scala bin to someone I am going to build the next with walnut ply .

Your doing a great job building these. What I was wondering is, are you using Lascala Parts? Woofers, Horns, Tweeters?

Reason I'm asking is, if you're not using those parts, are they in reality, still a Lascala?

I have a pair of Lascalas I bought back in 1982. Recently I did some upgrading and added Crites CT-125 tweeters

and the B&K A/4500 Crossovers. I also made some risers but that was 25+ years ago. A few months ago I ported the risers.

Now that I made changes to the tweets and XOvers, are my Lascalas TRUE Lascalas?

So ya see I'm not just questioning your build but also my modifications also?

Something I've always wondered...... Why is the "plate" in front of the woofer choked down to a rectangle or slot? Why wouldn't the opening be as big as the woofer itself. I'm sure there's a reason, but I've never seen it discussed.

I think that reduction is what makes the woofer a compression driver. Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Something I've always wondered...... Why is the "plate" in front of the woofer choked down to a rectangle or slot? Why wouldn't the opening be as big as the woofer itself. I'm sure there's a reason, but I've never seen it discussed.

I think that reduction is what makes the woofer a compression driver. Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Showing my inquisitivness (stupidity), why would you want to compress or limit the drivers output? I've seen horn loaded bass bins, but never with this restriction. Is that why Lascalas are a little bass shy?

Your doing a great job building these. What I was wondering is, are you using Lascala Parts? Woofers, Horns, Tweeters?

Reason I'm asking is, if you're not using those parts, are they in reality, still a Lascala?

I have a pair of Lascalas I bought back in 1982. Recently I did some upgrading and added Crites CT-125 tweeters

and the B&K A/4500 Crossovers. I also made some risers but that was 25+ years ago. A few months ago I ported the risers.

Now that I made changes to the tweets and XOvers, are my Lascalas TRUE Lascalas?

So ya see I'm not just questioning your build but also my modifications also?

My post was La scala bass bin and it is stock as stated in the post I will be using K-33 however the top HF will not be as I am using non Klipsch parts.The stock Klipsch La scala I uses a K-55 with a K-77 and a K-33 for drivers.

Showing my inquisitivness (stupidity), why would you want to compress or limit the drivers output? I've seen horn loaded bass bins, but never with this restriction. Is that why Lascalas are a little bass shy?

Trust me when I say I can match you toe to toe with any ignorance. Indeed, I could probalby swamp you with mine [:o]

I don't think you should interpret the use of the word compression to mean limit. Rather, put a straw to your mouth and blow real hard. You won't be able to expel the air through the straw as quickly as you could if your mouth were open however, you will have higher pressure going through the straw. The straw represents some resistence to the driver (since you have a 15" driver trying to push through a smaller slot) and this among some other things over my head, is the gist of how the horn begins with the compression driver. A little movement of the driver creates more pressure through that slot than it would through a larger slot, then it goes through the throat of the horn and ultimately out the front.

I think they are bass shy because the length of their horn (basiclly, the "small" (cough cough) size of the speaker box). Look at it this way, the Khorn, and LaScala are designed to use the same driver, yet they each have a differing amount of bass right?

Might it be fair to say the larger the box the better/deeper the bass? I'd speculate that if you had a speaker box 4 times the size of a Khorn you might have even better output than the Khorn (even with the same driver). So, all that to say, I think the raw size of the LaScala is one of the reasons it bass isn't as deep as the Khorn. I was going to also use the Cornwall in this comment however, it's not a horn loaded woofer.

Have you considered mouth braces for the bass horn? They would be avery good Idea.

I like the corner deflectors I have thought about that and was wondering if anyone had tried it. I am going to put 3/4 x 3/4 inch red oak trim around the front and a smaller piece down the top of the dog house so it ties it all together this should stop some side vibration similar to this pair I built a few years back. Back to your side deflectors what was the results of this modification?

Whoa.

John...is that your la scala build? It has reflectors. I would love to see a FR curve on that.

jc

Have you considered mouth braces for the bass horn? They would be avery good Idea.

I like the corner deflectors I have thought about that and was wondering if anyone had tried it. I am going to put 3/4 x 3/4 inch red oak trim around the front and a smaller piece down the top of the dog house so it ties it all together this should stop some side vibration similar to this pair I built a few years back. Back to your side deflectors what was the results of this modification?

Those are not mine. I kept the pic for illustration. Not necessarily attractive, but more effective than most any other stiffness mod, the mouth braces should be standard on any La Scala. I have a picture of Mr. Paul with a braced La Scala in the background. The outer walls of mine get to vibrating quite a lot when they get loud.

The corner reflectors will extend the upper frequency response of the bass horn until it looks something like a Peavey FH-1. I can't recall anyone here curving a bass bin with the reflectors installed. Klipsch did not do it because it is not necessary with a K-400/K-55. They would help build a nice 2-way system. A La Scala's response has a dip at 500 Hz and starts falling pretty fast above 650 Hz.

post-2142-13819539258722_thumb.jpg

post-2142-13819554706414_thumb.jpg

post-2142-13819567565548_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, it seems to make sense. My last question would be then, why isn't the restriction round as opposed to rectangular?

If I just sit back, I can let you ask all of the same questions I have about choking down the woofer and the geometric shape of the slot. I understand what coytee is saying in regards to the size of the horn and would assume (oh shi^, I might be setting myself up for a correction on this one), that if I build the Jamboree's and extend the angle of the base and top from the rear making the horn proportionately larger in width and depth, I should get more bass out of them??????????????? Here we go, I'm going to find out more of what I don't know.[:$]