Need pointers on moving a pair of Klipschorns

Edroom

Well...I finally scored my dream....my very own pair of K-Horns! Moving up from the Cornwall 2's.

I am driving a considerable distance to pick up my dream speakers and want to make sure I move them properly.

I have a pick up truck so they will be in the back (it better not rain!)

anyway, I would appreciate any pointers or tips for moving them, I am sure many people here have made this same trip and I want to benefit from your experience!

Thanks for the help!

Ed

I did not know either of those...other than having listened to K-Horns a few years ago and being completly blown away, I have never touched or examined a pair closely. So I can take the tops off and remove the grills with wing nuts...well thats a start! any other info is also appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

Be sure to use lots of blankets under around and in between them.

As had been said take the tops off. Sides too. So face the bottoms together, with blankets in between. Pillows work good here too.

Hopefully, you do not have to stop on a dime too? LOL

A big piece of cardboard underneath it all makes it easier to slide in and out without scratching.

Go Slow..and get another person to help you.

Good Luck.

Take pics, and enjoy "the journey" too.

Congrats!

having done this about a bazillion times....

• Take about 8-10 blankets, 1 roll of black plastic painters sheeting from wall mart, 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 roll of painters tape and a "dolly" (the hand cart.....), and a friend who can lift things....
  • Disconnect the bass bin wires; tape them inside the tops with blue painters tape
  • Remove the tops and set them aside.
  • Remove the side grills and set them aside.
  • Depending on the distance and road condition..... I recommend that you place the bass bins face down in the bed of the pick-up truck.
  • Lay down two blankets on the bed, then uroll and lay out the plastic drop cloth sheeting.
  • Lay the bass bins down, separate by about 2-3 inches; roll a blanket and place between the bins.
  • fold the sheeting up over with the fold opening towards the rear of the pick-up;
  • Tape the mortal crap out of the sheeting; up down, sideways, round and round, etc. You get the idea...
  • Place two blankets on the rear set of the pick-up truck. Place the tops, front down, bottom towards the front, and cover with blankets.
  • Place the side grills on top between the top and the rear window, each wrapped in it's own blanket.
  • Don't slam on the brakes on the way back.......
  • Like 1

if you lay the bass binsface (veneer) side down, make CERTAIN that there is no dirt or grit or you might scratch the heck out of them. I prefer to lay them on one side so the good veneer is free from any pressure.

with the top hats, you will have two bolts sticking down so they can't sit in their normal position, flipping upside down puts the veneer in contact with something. Again, I stand them upright (on edge) so no expensive side is down. Do make sure that they can't tip in the event of a hard turn or brake.

M

Take about 8-10 blankets, 1 roll of black plastic painters sheeting from wall mart, 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 roll of painters tape and a "dolly" (the hand cart.....), and a friend who can lift things....

I think you pulled out the wrong answer book.... he's looking to move two speakers, not two bodies..... [:|]

Upon second consideration, I can see some parallels.... [:^)]

Watch moving them. You can damage the veneer on the bottoms very easily. You'll end up with chunks of veneer missing. Been there done that. I peeled a 3" long and 3/4" wide sliver off mine. Luckily my GF at the time did vintage furniture restoration and repaired the area where it wasn't noticable at all.

Harry

I quite strongly second the use of an appliance dolly (one with straps). Protect corners of the speakers where the straps ride with a moving blanket.

One side benefit is, if you get scared, or if the seller disappoints you by deciding to keep the Khorns, you'll have a dolly and a blankie to comfort you.

I moved a pair of K horns- a pair of industrial Lascalas- a TT- A sub- and a ton of misc wires and stuff from Coytee's friend's- place about this time last year. Also another pair of Cornwalls and Lascas from CIgarbums place in Ga. The K horns are not that bad provided thart you take the tops off as noted. I would advise against a pickup unless there is ZERO chance of rain. The flat veener surface should be placed face down on a flat surface with heavy padding underneath. take a ton of blankets or the blue moving quilts sold at Northern Equip or Uhaul. If you have tie down hooks buy some rachet binders and secure the load against sudden stops. If you think you need 5 blankets- take 10 or 15.Northers Equip has a bag of the blue moving blankets for less than 50.00. money well spent.

I would suggest renting a Surburban or a van. So far I am damage free on all my road trip purchases.

Prepare to be knocked out and blown away by the K horns- Except for Jubs- they have no equal IMHO.[Y][Y]

Take about 8-10 blankets, 1 roll of black plastic painters sheeting from wall mart, 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 roll of painters tape and a "dolly" (the hand cart.....), and a friend who can lift things....

I think you pulled out the wrong answer book.... he's looking to move two speakers, not two bodies..... Indifferent

Upon second consideration, I can see some parallels.... Huh?

The "bodies" book includes the chains so they won't float later...... [:|]

[H]

Thank you for all the advice!

I left for the trip with a big stack of pillows, blankets, 2 rolls of duct tape, pliers, a sheet of plastic and a giant "pallet bag", straps, and a helper! The Horns are now safely in my home 2 days later in the same condition I picked them up in. It was a great trip.

I am going to refinish before I install and I need to reupholster one of the wings which was damaged before pick up, but I am excited and can't wait to hook em up!

Ed

I think you pulled out the wrong answer book.... he's looking to move two speakers, not two bodies..... Indifferent

Upon second consideration, I can see some parallels.... Huh?

The "bodies" book includes the chains so they won't float later...... Indifferent

Cool

Groomy,

You forgot to tel him to take a long knife and make sure to puncture both lungs individually and to stab through the diaphram. Chains aren't always enough to prevent a floater.

JEEESSHH, Rank Amatures!! [:#]

Roger / Gadfly

Here are some before pics...They are in my garage, they have some scratching and I am going to refinish them in cherry with a high gloss polyurethane. They have sequential serial numbers - 12S205 and 12S206 and were KC-BR raw birch, can anyone explain the serial number code to me...year etc.