Crites midrange diaphragms

troutboy

• 3 weeks later...

> John Chi-town said: Can you believe that this discovery came about by me losing an original driver while trying to install BC's phenolics?

I remember reading a few years back with some replacing the midrange and tweeters with the titanium versions on the Forte, Chorus, and KLF models.

I remember thinking about trying it with my Klipsch KLF but there were mixed reviews on going from phenolic to titanium. Some loved the change and others liked the phenolic better. Some were saying the titanium gave a little more distortion/ring that some people take as more detail, where as the phenolic didn't have this problem because it was a resin type material vs metal, a natural damping that didn't cause the ringing. I didn't try it in my KLF-20 after reading some reviews on it from one of the other audio forums they were discussing it on. I have no experience to say either way because I didn't try this but remember it being done a few years back and thought about giving it a try.

Ok, here it is, looks like it was (marems) that may have been the first trying the tweeter and midrange to titanium.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/55776/539527.aspx

Not very long ago I purchased a used pair of Cornwall III but ended up liking the Klipsch phenolic mid and tweeter better that I'm used to on my Klipschorn's and Super Cornwalls, so I think I'm more a phenolic guy. The guy I purchased the Cornwall III from had extra 52ti and 53ti diaphragms that he gave me with the speakers, both are the same so I don't know why Klipsch gives them different model numbers, they look the same to me.

I did talk with Klipsch tech a few years ago when I was reading about guys changing to the titanium mids when I was thinking about trying it on my KLF-20 and Klipsch strongly advised me not to do it, so I didn't. Not that it does or doesn't mean it's ok.

OK, I stand corrected from a couple of email reminders, so I'll correct myself.

The tweeter from Polymer to titanium was said to be an improvement.

The tweeter from Phenolic to titanium was said to stay with the Phenolic, but I was told Bob has a newer titanium tweeter dia. that might compare better now, first time I heard this, I didn't know he has a newer version? Guess I'm the last to know these things!

The midrange from Phenolic to titanium had mixed reviews, some even said it seemed to be missing an octave or two from males voices and certain notes.

Hum, interesting! I hadn't heard the octave one before.

SkyDover,

The nice thing about changing out diaphragms is that if you are not happy with the result you can always return to stock, etc. I have my original set of both tweeter and mid diaphragms should I ever get the urge to change out, or part with the speakers. The first scenerio although unlikely, is much more plausible than the second.

Strange as it is, got an email from someone that lives not far from me, about an hour and half drive that has an extra set of titanium dia. tweeters and titanium dia. midrange and said they have never been used, had bought an extra set when he changed to titanium on his Chorus 2 years ago that he purchased from Klipsch. Said he was going to sell his Chorus because he's upgraded to some huge speakers that I have never heard of, has my curiosity up. I think I might buy the diaphragms from him, he has a reasonable price, if anything to change the polymer tweeters to the titanium. I could give the mids a try. I'll probably go get them but I won't be able to really try things out until I get my HT build speakers completed. I'll just have to make sure I don't come home with the Chorus speakers too! Too many speakers already and the other half will have my hide if I attempt to!

• 2 weeks later...

I did pick them up but still haven't tried them yet, probably won't get to them for a month or so with working on the HT build, making the braces for the drivers.

The diaphragms are solid silver both for the tweeter and mid, don't have any patterns in them for reinforcement like the Selenium and JBL titanium's have.

The tweeter from Phenolic to titanium was said to stay with the Phenolic

I am a bit confused. Are we talking about going from a phenolic tweeter diaphragm to a titanium tweeter diaphragm in a Forte I? I heard vast improvements when I switched to titaniums. I will soon switch out my tweeters to titaniums in my Quartets.

I was told Bob has a newer titanium tweeter dia. that might compare better now, first time I heard this, I didn't know he has a newer version? Guess I'm the last to know these things

Newer than the ones I bought a year ago?

The midrange from Phenolic to titanium had mixed reviews

This is where I thought Bob had underperforming results in his testing, not with his titanium tweeter diaphragms.

Am I missing something?

Bill

I think it was back in 2007 or 2008 that was discussed that some did not like the change to titanium from phenolic, thought it was a bit more harsh sounding. This might be different than your version? I don't know when Bob started using the newer version titanium tweeter, I wasn't even aware there was a newer version until just recently from what I was told but I don't know how accurate that info is?

I found this older thread where Bob gave a slight nod to the phenolic tweeter:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/55776/539524.aspx

More reads:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/76685/756167.aspx

I'll know more for myself once I change out my KLF-20 to the titanium tweeter and titanium mid-range, but it will take me a while to get to that, as I am very busy trying to get my HT build done. I still liked the phenolics in the Cornwall for tweeter and mid better than I did with the used Cornwall III that I bought and tried for a time, the Cornwall III uses titanium mid and tweeter. I may very well be just a phenolic guy but it's still all good!

Right now I am going between the Selenium DT150 phenolic tweeter and the Selenium D220ti titanium tweeter to decide which to use for my HT build. They both are nice but for music, I think I prefer the DT150 phenolic tweeter and movies the D220ti tweeter or DT150 is nice. The titanium is a bit harsh sometimes for music, as well with movies. The phenolic just blends right in and pleasant sounding, and a better match with the Selenium D405 phenolic that I am using for the mid-range. The phenolic just sound more natural sounding to me, hold together better, smoother sounding, more hi-fi sounding. The titanium seems to let a little more background noise through, which for some, might like as it is a little easier to hear.

There's just something special about the phenolic sound! To these ears anyway! [;)]

I installed klipsch titanium mid diaphragms in my forte's a couple of weeke ago and had been thinking they were too aggressive, and have a slight coloration or peakiness too them. I do feel that they sounded somewhat more open than before but could not live with the scewed sound character. I put the phenolics back in and too my ears are much smoother and "as one " with the tweeter. I may try the crites units some day but i think its clear to me now that the originals are really good.

The mids sound seemless and smooth with the Crites Ti Tweeter, there may be some x-over weirdness happening if you indicated you recently upgraded here : http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/141614/1499437.aspx#1499437

Im still running stock, the other two folks i know that havem, John-Chitown i believe has Crites' x-overs with stock values newer parts, and SET12 has his mutant self made x-overs.

Ti mids with Phenolic Tweet would not sound as seemless as having the Ti tweet, unsure if your running it that way.

i could see where the ti tweeter units would be better matched with the Ti mids but i still heard an elevated level with the klipsch Ti mid diaphragms that i can't imagin going away with the crites Ti tweeter. My impression of my Al K. crosovers was of greater smoothness compared to stock especially in the mid area with better high frequency clarity. I would say to my ears that i would expect the stock crossovers to be even hotter with the Ti mid ? i may try the Ti mids again at some point down the road and i was going to buy the Crites tweeter diaphragms but he was/is out due to having alot of orders for these. I will say i have Jimmy Vaughn on right now and it is sounding outstanding and i'm feeling very content with these forte's as they are. I am running a Marantz pm11s2 integrated along with a McIntosh mvp 841 player. Its true that alot of the fun in this hobby is the fact that we all love music and sound but have such varied opinions of what great sound is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I can provide a little technical information of using the Klipsch titanium midrange to replace the orignal phenolics. On the trace below, the red is an original K-53 phenolic diaphrgm and the green is the K-53TI titanium midrange diaphragm on the same 700 hz horn. We see slightly higher average output for the titanium than the phenolic. The phenolic output drops like a stone at 6khz where the tweeter takes over. That allows the crossover to be pretty simple since there is no reason to roll off the midrange. But, the titanium diaphragm keeps on going, in fact heading for a peak at around 7.3khz before it drops off. So, if the titanium diaphragm is used in place of the phenolic without a crossover mod, you would have the midrange and tweeter both at full output at the same time around 7khz.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819686091574_thumb.jpg