ORCA 3; TRAINERS 0

Gilbert

Tillikum the Terrible....

The fact that 2 prior incidents happened should have caused SW to seriously consider Tillikum a real risk and confine him to a show off tank or let him go.

Tillikum snatched the vic's ponytail and pulled her down....

I've often wondered about the idea of "playing" safely with a 4 ton killer whale.... They are really smart, hunt in packs, use very intelligent attack tactics, and they can't be really happy about being locked up in any fish tank.....

Interview with former Orca trainer....

Jim Nemec spent 13 years working with killer whales at Sea World in Geauga Lake in Aurora until the park closed. Jim Nemec knows what it's like to work with orcas every day. "We knew every day that there was a chance of getting hurt, bumped, scratched, scraped and even killed," said Nemec. He added,"I mean, these animals are called killer whales for a reason."

More interesting.....

In 1991, Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing a trainer who lost her balance and fell in the pool with them in at Sealand of the Pacific in Victoria, British Columbia. The animal was then transferred to Florida. In 1999, park officials found the body of a man who had sneaked past Orlando Sea World security in the pool with Tilikum. The man's body had been bruised and scratched by the orca and had either jumped, fell, or was pulled into the frigid water by Tilikum. Sea World trainers were especially wary of Tilikum.

Gee.... I wonder why? [:|]

Let me see- the big fish weighs in at like 6 tons???? It is called a Killer Whale- Maybe because it will crush and drown your @ss if the thing gets mad??? News flash--It is pissed off from getting closed up in the tank in the first place........so lets jumpin the tank with it and see what happens????????

DARWIN AT WORK HERE

I heard a report that the whale was not responding to the trainer at the previous show, "was acting like a spoiled child".

I can only imagine that there must have been some type of discipline envoked or at least she displayed displeasure with the whale.

Guess what? The whale just figured out that he was bigger than she was.

I am sad this happened, but like the other post said Darwin at work. The whale is just "thinning the herd of the stupid ones".

Or.... the stupid pursuit of profit at any cost.

The latest from Seaworld is that they've attributed the attack to "interested curiousity" on the part of the whale, and the show will go on with him, since he misses not performing. How the spokesman could say that with a straight face, and also sleep at night, is beyond me.

An animal expert was quoted on CBC Radio last week saying that the orca had experienced the excitement of killing a human and could be expected to want to do it again. I don't recall whether he said that after the second killing or after this third one.

The fact is, that orca is a serial killer and should never be near humans again.

killer whaler trainers are like astronauts, or olympic athletes.

i read that today, it was part of an actual quote.

That quote doesn't make much sense. Lion tamer sounds more logical to me. The only difference is that killer whales don't roar.

Of course, there are lots of friendly killer whales, just as there are lots of friendly people. However, after this whale had killed two people over a period of years, one might conclude that he was not one of the friendly ones.

The only difference is that killer whales don't roar.

That's absolutely correct, they go... eeeeeeek! eeeekaaadeeek! beeeeker! squeeeker! ..... Which means, come on in, the water's fine.

Of course, there are lots of friendly killer whales, just as there are lots of friendly people. However, after this whale had killed two people over a period of years, one might conclude that he was not one of the friendly ones.

Oh, but of course! You can always tell the friendly ones from the angry ones by the smiley face on the back of their tongue. Theres' only problem that can go wrong, and that's when you check for the smiley face. Be sure to use fish oil for your hair spray just before you check.