SPL question?

ClaudeJ1

Now that I have gone large format horns and drivers the last few years, and now witht the Audyssey PEQ for room acoustics (including dynamic loudness control), I find myself satisfied with listening to levels between 70-80 db, instead of 80-90 db. Osha says 85 or below is safe (they used to say 90).

So how many of you own a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter and use it? If so, what's your average listening level?

Now that I have gone large format horns and drivers the last few years, and now witht the Audyssey PEQ for room acoustics (including dynamic loudness control), I find myself satisfied with listening to levels between 70-80 db, instead of 80-90 db. Osha says 85 or below is safe (they used to say 90).

So how many of you own a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter and use it? If so, what's your average listening level?

I've had one for a couple decades. Obviously the SPL is dependent on the music played. In general I'd say I listen at about 60-85dB. Peaks are louder, sometimes up to 100-110dB.

Your comments about being satisfied at lower listening levels with the Audyssey PEQ are interesting. As I've improved my room's acoustics over the years I've noticed the same thing. I don't feel compelled to play it as loud, and in fact, I really enjoy hearing the lower level subtle sounds that otherwise often get masked. I can't imagine listening at the SPL some Forum members say they do, and I've logged a lot mileage playing in bands over the years. While live music can certainly be loud, there's usually a lot of dynamics involved, the peaks may be high but the average level isn't. The last concert I recorded (Chorale & small orchestra) the SPL reached about 105-107dB at the first row where I was sitting. If the playback room isn't acoustically correct the music doesn't sound right at those levels. It can get harsh and compressed sounding.

That is my experience as well. I have had an Extech SPL meter for about 4 years now. My listening averages in the same 70-80 db range as yours. I hit peaks of 85 db once in awhile in my listening position.

I am keenly aware of protecting my most valueable and irreplaceable piece of my audio gear - My Ears !

I also focus on reducing all backround noise as well. No fans, traffic, motors - keep the backround quiet and you need less volume.

Good question Claude, I too run Large horns. Just not as large as yours. [;)] I found with my La Scala's they seem to easily fill the room with sound. I picked up a Audio Control C-101 III, with a built in RTA, microphone and full octave Eq. and it showed me which frequencies were bouncing around the room. Once I tamed them with the Eq., I was able to listen to music much quieter with more detail. Now, if I hit the "Bypass" button, it gets so loud and almost offending. I loose detail and pick up more "noise" and it is not nearly as pleasing to my ears.

I have owned a Radio Shack SPL meter for a number of years and often check to see how loud I am listening. My normal listening level is between 70 and 85dba. Sure, every now and then I get a little crazy and hit the 95-105dba range, but it is only for a few minutes.

Dennie

What! What?

Speak up man, I can't hear you.

Got me one of them thar hippie meters. I like rolling up one of cousin Eddie's bodacious blunts and watching the little pointer go back and forth. I usually start out the evening around 70 of those db's people are always talking about and go upwards from there till about 85/90. Of course, when cousin Hesus el Diablo stops buy with one of his patented Tijuana boilermakers, I usually fine myself leaning really far forward and listening at about 35 bd. That is until I lean forward too much, fall out of my chair, and lay there taking a nice nap.

Sometimes I wake up with a major crick in my neck and the battery of the meter's run down.

According to research from the CDC, long term exposure to sound level 85dB and above can result in hearing loss. As a rule of thumb, no more than 8 hours of exposure time to 85dB and for every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible
damage can occur is cut in half.

[8o|] I sure would like to know what SPL reading I had the other day. Fried a driver in my beatiful RF-7's. I know exactly when it happened. 1st thought, "well that can't be good"!!! Thank goodness for warranties and a very helpful local D&M Sound. New driver already on its way (no questions). Gotta love dem' Klipsch.

[^o)]in-line fuses[^o)]

+ Thebes you are the mistro, I love you man... SPL's you get right to the heart of some listeners expression.

As others said I also find the need for less volume ,,as I get my system more & more dialed in. I mostly run in the 75 to 85 range I also notice I have less need for my meter the more experiened my ears become. Now My ears know the difference between 70 spl & 80... The tool has been an inexpensive aid in understanding the mystery's of audio reproduction.

Cornman

+ Thebes you are the mistro, I love you man... SPL's you get right to the heart of some listeners expression.

As others said I also find the need for less volume ,,as I get my system more & more dialed in. I mostly run in the 75 to 85 range I also notice I have less need for my meter the more experiened my ears become. Now My ears know the difference between 70 spl & 80... The tool has been an inexpensive aid in understanding the mystery's of audio reproduction.

Cornman

It's nice to see that others are not the decibel freak I used to be when I got my Khorns at 23 years old (had a speaker payment!). But now that I'm into higher quality music and recordings, I feel that the all-horn setup I have gives me way more detail, dynamics, and lower distortion than my 2 Khorns and mono LaScala ever did. Not that it was bad, mind you. I had those for 30 years. But I went the next step, which still follow all of PWK's principles of good sound, but with even greater efficiency with ridiculously low distortion.