Girl Cave

dtel's wife

Jeeze, I think my wife would be ovejoyed if there were a place in the house the girls and I didn't mess up. She'd be ecstatic if the only speakers in the house resided in the ceilings...*sigh*...THAT ain't happenin', though...until I get buried in the Khorns! [{][W][}]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Pete, my business is centered around designing/sewing/embroidering children's clothing. I also do framed embroidery art...like the fleur di lis picture shown. In addition, I make bibs, burp cloths, covered diaper wipe cases and the like for infants. We also make barrettes and decorate flip flops to match the girls' outfits.

I have designed and sewn everything from infant christening dresses to the lining and a pillow for a funeral casket.

I also embroider polo shirts/hats for businesses/schools. I have even embroidered a name on a saddle pad for someone.

The choice of speakers for my "girl cave" was definitely a struggle. I opted for the in ceiling speakers for three main reasons: first, every inch of space counts in this room..as you can see by the various plastic storage containers under the counters...secondly, my customers are mainly women and I thought the in ceiling speakers would be a great way to introduce women to Klipsch...especially the 2650s...they are great speakers. Lastly, I have several other rooms I can use for "listening", including my bedroom which houses the Cornwall IIIs we won in Hope. The purpose of the speakers in this room was just to provide background music.

• Moderators

This couldn't have been accomplished without dtel giving me 2/3 of his workshop space. For those of you that saw the pics of the build of the MWM's...well that space is now my "girl cave". Dtel will be getting a brand new workshop built to accomodate his woodworking tools and his hobbies.

The sewing machine that looks "like you could do an appendectomy with it" is actually a six head embroidery machine. I really love that machine, but I also love my serger and my other two regular sewing machines. The embroidery machine is really nice. It is a Brother PR620, very reliable, very efficient and very user friendly.

Sewing has been a lifelong hobby for me. I would sit for hours and watch my grandmother make all of my clothes when I was young. I only wish I could be the seamstress she was. Every dress I ever wore when I was younger would be considered "beauty pageant" quality these days. Layers and layers of tulle to make the dress stand out.

Fini, did you notice that pole in the corner? Well, dtel wanted to put it in the center of the room to hold "try outs"...I told him no way...it had to go in the corner.

• Moderators

I could feel the testosterone leaving my body as I scrolled down this page...

looks nice~

That is very funny! But the testosterone would have been flowing while you were doing the construction!

Dtel says he has no use for the room anymore...his work is done...he just comes in from time to time to visit me now.

Lovely room and photos Christy!

It was magical watching the room take shape during my recent stay at your Mississippi home. We formed a 'human chain' to ferry all the fabric down the narrow staircase. That was preferable to the knee-numbing, dangerous task of carrying it downstairs by hand. I love the layout, the center island on rollers, counters built to custom 'perfect heights' for each machine's workstation. I think I counted 12 of the daylight corrected double-tube fluorescant fixtures so there's plenty of light. The room also features a wide window that overlooks the garden and pond areas in the Dtel back 40, with blackout curtains to keep the west sun and heat out.

My idea on the speaker arrangement would be to wire each in stereo in a L/R- L/R- L/R configuration. That way no matter which workstation you're at there will be good stereo surround field. But with Eldon's MWM stack next door (in the remaining half of his wood shop), it's going to be tough to keep up with him. That is until you take over completly and he has to build a NEW workshop for his tinkering! LOL

Thanks for a great relaxing visit last week. We didn't even go to the city once. Great times with great friends!

I only wish I'd let my OCD out and organized those spools of thread, they really need to be color sorted and that bugged me all week!

Michael

Fini, did you notice that pole in the corner? Well, dtel wanted to put it in the center of the room to hold "try outs"...I told him no way...it had to go in the corner.

LOL! I guess you could let dtel work out on that pole to entertain you and your lady friends...[:$]

• Moderators

LOL! I guess you could let dtel work out on that pole to entertain you and your lady friends...Embarrassed

Now that's a novel idea! Maybe he will give it a try![:P]

Thanks a lot, Christy. This will give Mrs. Fini some ideas...She will be soooo jealous!

Great work, guys! I really would like to give Cathy something like this (modified for quilting, her passion).

My wife is into quilting also. I don't want her to see this it will only give her ideas. Her ideas end up being my projects. I am impressed with the fabric shelves. My wifes a walk in closet and a stand alone cupboard all filled with material. I don't think she could ever have enough material.

Mrs. Finihere. OMG I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jealous of the Girl Cave. I want one too. Well I sort of have one, it's just filled with Mr Fini's cra.........ooops, I mean treasures.

• Moderators

Mrs. Finihere. OMG I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jealous of the Girl Cave. I want one too. Well I sort of have one, it's just filled with Mr Fini's cra.........ooops, I mean treasures.

Mrs. Fini, it has been along time since we last saw each other! Hope things are going well. I have to say it took dtel two days to move all of his "treasures" out of this area, before we could even begin the transformation from garage to "girl cave".

Honestly, it was very generous of him to give me the space...and I absolutely love this "girl cave".

I finally got to hear my three Klipsch 2650 in ceiling speakers for the first time today...I have to say I am impressed...bass was rattling the windows with very little volume!

It is so nice to have everything in its place....of course I can't wait till dtel's new workshop gets built because then I can have the other 1/3 of the remaining workshop for storage.

• Moderators

Thanks a lot, Christy. This will give Mrs. Fini some ideas...She will be soooo jealous!

Great work, guys! I really would like to give Cathy something like this (modified for quilting, her passion).

My wife is into quilting also. I don't want her to see this it will only give her ideas. Her ideas end up being my projects. I am impressed with the fabric shelves. My wifes a walk in closet and a stand alone cupboard all filled with material. I don't think she could ever have enough material.

That's funny...when I first started seriously collecting fabric, about a year and half ago...we had a standing joke in the house..."Hello, my name is Christy and I am a fabriholic"....I can totally relate to collecting material....everyone in the house caught the "disease" and they were purchasing fabric and bringing it home to me.

• Moderators

Merkin,

Look on the bright side. In dtel's case he gave me 2/3 of his workshop space and he is going to get a new, bigger, better workshop! So, maybe just maybe you could figure something out that would be a "fair trade".

JC, thank you for the compliment. It is really a nice room and will allow me to accomplish a lot more of things I really like to do....I have to do something to occupy myself since we don't landscape anymore...I was driving everybody crazy! This keeps me busy but still allows me to exercise a lot of creativity.

I have perfected the art of framing embroidery...it took a little bit of practice and a few guinea pigs (thank you Mr. and Mrs. JC) but I think I've got it done now...at least my clients think so.