Which Heritage for Rock Music Listening?

rockhound

Hey rockhound - I am on the SE side near Beltway 8 and Gulf Freeway. I have recently acquired Fortes and you are welcome to come have a listen. I have a pretty good selection of amps; a 2-Watt tube 'Spud', a 3.5-watt SET, a 17-watt push-pull tube (EL84), a 50-watt McIntosh SS and a 250-watt Carver SS. I listen to so some hard rock still (Govt. Mule comes to mind) and I can attest the Fortes can pump it out. My listening room is on the small side, but you will get a taste of their capability. I picked up the Fortes for $350, heckuva deal IMO!

Let me know if you are interested. rtrigler at comcast dot net

Rick

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet I would really enjoy a pair of LaScalas with a nice sub.

I'm sure you would.The Chorus IIs take up less space...

I am very satisfied with my LS with no sub attached, but I also pulled the midrange down a little bit (autoformer tap change), so the balance is fine for me. Not too lean on the bass for most of my collection.

As a mastering engineer, my last project was a metal band out of Denver. Not usually my thing, but I studied up by watching the documentary, "Metal" - wow! There's a lot to the genre. I saturated lots of tape and tubes, and had a happy customer. Anyway, I don't monitor using Klipsch in my reference system, as I sit rather close. When finished with any project however, I listen to it in my car (stock audio system), then let it run wild upstairs on a Heresy III/Paradigm 18in. servo sub/Outlaw 1050 rcvr system. The Outlaw is no longer made, but is representative of a "typical" , modest HT receiver these days. With care setting up the sub, the HIII's will be killer! And here's a tip for you recordists out there: if you add any reverb or effects, add just over 40msec of pre-delay. It will trigger your ProLogic circuit and give you some nice surround. Have fun!

PM Sent

Hey rockhound - I am on the SE side near Beltway 8 and Gulf Freeway. I have recently acquired Fortes and you are welcome to come have a listen. I have a pretty good selection of amps; a 2-Watt tube 'Spud', a 3.5-watt SET, a 17-watt push-pull tube (EL84), a 50-watt McIntosh SS and a 250-watt Carver SS. I listen to so some hard rock still (Govt. Mule comes to mind) and I can attest the Fortes can pump it out. My listening room is on the small side, but you will get a taste of their capability. I picked up the Fortes for $350, heckuva deal IMO!

Rick

Although not part of the heritage line I strongly recommend you look at the Epic CF 3, series 1. I have a pair and drive the woofers with a pair of B&K sonnata mono blocks (200W), and the horns with a Golden Tube Audio SE 40 tube SET amp (40 WPC). All I can tell you is that I am in heaven every time I listen to music with this system. A good clean pair of CF 3 series 1’s can be had in the used market for an average of $500-800, give or take.

I listen to loud rock, mainly Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, etc and absolutely love it. These are also good for soft music as well.

I sometimes lose track of the time and before I realize it hours have passed by listening to music. I strongly recommend you consider these wonderful speakers.

PM Sent

Rick

Replied to your PM. Pretty busy lately as I noted in the message. I am on a different computer during the week so I don't have your phone # that you gave me in the PM. Give me a call at work @ 281-206-6418

Rick

I still rather doubt it would be what I call a heavy metal setup

The guy states " I listen to all kinds of rock music from classic to modern to heavy" so he is not purely looking for a heavy metal set-up. If people are happy with their Cornwalls, why not be happy for them? Everyone has their own personal taste taking into the synergy of many factors. If someone likes a certain speaker/amp combo I say cheers to them!

Everyone has their own personal taste taking into the synergy of many factors

I agree. Synergy, power, room acoustics etc. It all has to jive. All the Klipsch speakers mentioned so far will be great but are at the mercy of what supports them.

Recently, I had a "hard core" JBL enthusiast over to my house to listen to my 4.1 KLF-30 stereo setup. He commented strongly that it was one of the best "rock and roll" systems he had heard to date. [Y]

Ok I tried to decipher the results the best I could. If anyone posted more than one choice I counted only your 1st choice none of the others. I should have made a poll but when I posted this I didn't realize I could (darn newb's!) Anyway thanks to all that have posted so far below are my rough calcs....

Cornwall 4 votes

KLF's 2 votes

La Scala 2 votes

Chorus 2 votes

Forte 1 vote

Heresy 1 vote

K-Horn 1 vote

Rockhound,

I see that you live outside of Houston. Maybe start a new thread to your fellow Texans to see if they will invite you over for a listen. This way you can see for yourself, with your own music, which one will be the best. Texas has a lot of Heritage owns so you might luck out, worth a shot.

James

Personally, I think you need more than one pair to get the "best" sound. I'm using a pair of La Scalas, a pair of Chorus IIs, and a sub-woofer. If I turn any of them off I am not completely happy with the sound. If I turn them all on people just stand there and drop their jaws. Most typical quote - "I feel like I am sitting in the 1st row at a rock concert". Frankly, I couldn't agree more. All said, the La Scalas (or Klipschorns, or Belles) are a MUST, the Chorus IIs can be replaced by Cornwalls, or even Heresys. You'll need a sub to round out the bottom (Chorus II and Cornwall have great bass, but not sub-woofer bass.) Do all this and I guarantee your speaker set-up will rock the house. Now as far as the amp/receiver driving them. Well, that's another topic all together.

The only problem with stacking and/or mixing speakers is the soundstage disappears, it does sound good though. I stacked my Chorus II's upside down on top of the LaScala's and admit it did create a formidable, punchy sounding stack of sound.

Ah the wisdom of Coytee --Buy once, buy right and be done! Buy once, buy right and be done! If only we could all be intuitive enough to know what sound we were looking for---read, & read some more ---then go & listen to as many systems as possible. You will be GLAD you did. " IM so Glad im gald im glad" As the Cream said...

Cornman

James- Good suggestion and a few guys around here have contacted me about demoing their setup I just need to get off my butt and make arrangements!

With the weather breaking it would be a good time to. If I were you I'd take everyone one up that offers, just because some might have the same speakers not all room are equal. I might like one set of speakers at one location and not at another, something to take into consideration.

Don't forget the Pilgrimage that Klipsch is having, another way to hear to great speakers and meet forum members.

James