7 channel amp?

aj01

I'm thinking about getting a 7-channel amp for a basement home theater and was wondering if any of you had recommendations? I've started looking at Outlaw Audio 7700, B&K 200.7 and maybe an Emotiva 5-channel with one of my two channels powering maybe the rears? Right now the plan is cornwall fronts, academy, forte rears with an SW-15 sub. I'm probably 50/50 music/movies and will (someday) do some sort of JBL-based cornscala mains.

I'm running one of the Emotiva UPA-5 amps on my 5 channel system. It's driving La Scala mains, a DIY Academy/C7 knockoff and a pair of Heresy surrounds. I am very very pleased with it.

My listenening area is roughly 15' X 22' with a sloped ceiling that goes to almost 20' at the peak. Even at only 125 W/ch this amp can drive my system to insane volume levels.

Highly recommended!

Posted Image

I think if I was going 7 channel I'd look at the UPA-5 for all of the surrounds and center and either a pair of UPA-1 monoblocks for the mains or maybe an XPA-1. Emotiva makes nice stuff.

I just recently became a member of the "external amp" community, so I'm really excited to give any input I might have on the subject.

Now, I have an Outlaw powering my Ref. line so my input may not be as beneficial to you (since you're curious about the Heritage line). However, in my research into Outlaw paired with Klipsch I came across a few posts about Heritage owners running Outlaw amps. All the posts basically said the same thing... Everyone really liked the combo. The Outlaws can tend to be a little bright with Ref. gear (which I really like, sounds "crisp" to my ears) which I think a lot of Heritage owners liked. Gave the beautiful, "laid back" sound of the Heritage line a little bite. At least that's what I gathered.

Good luck! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the afore mentioned amps.

Reading these posts about amps really makes me wonder if I need to invest in one. I just got the Yamaha RX-V665 but it sounds like even though its rated at 90x7 I think, it won't actually produce those levels when 7 speakers are connected (though I will only be connecting 5, it still makes me wonder). How much is a decent amp to drive 5 speakers (2 RB-35s, 1 RC-35, 2 S-1s). I can just leave the sub to run off the receiver I guess. This might need to be the next thing I need to save up for, at least that's what I'm thinking. Or does the Yamaha have plenty of power to drive the speakers I currently have especially since its only 5 total? Sorry don't mean to threadjack.

• Moderators

How much is a decent amp to drive 5 speakers (2 RB-35s, 1 RC-35, 2 S-1s).

I wouldn't worry about an amp with bookshelf speakers but if you did, you can get a used 3 channel Acurus amp for around $300.

I can just leave the sub to run off the receiver I guess.

The sub has it's own amp so it doesn't really "run off the receiver". It is just fed a signal, not power. The amp in the sub amplifies the signal it recieves.

Check out integra- I have heard good things from others. You cannot lose with Emotiva- Outlaw or B & K - I am running 2 B&K outboards with a carver 3 channel- Sony Da 4300 ESHT receiver with all heritage- Sound great . if I had it to do over again I would look for a 7 ch HT Pre processsor and skip the receiver amps. the Sony is OK but I think the other stuff reccomended may be better. Do not be afraid to put the power to the Heritage stuff. 10 watts will drive my k horns in 2 ch mode but the 250 wpc carver makes them sound fantastic in HT mode.

Bear in mind that the wattage ratings on HT receiver amps are seroiusly overrated in most cases. My 100 wpc rated Sony ws inadequate for my reference stuff before I switched to Heritage.buying Outboards fixed it big time.

The afternoon I took that picture I was updating the Pronto. Most of the time the only thing on the coffee table (or my hand) is the Pronto. Unfortunately my old Pronto has lost its ability to talk to my computer. Changes I normally would have made at the computer now have to be "taught" to the Pronto. I guess it probably time to move in to the current century :)

You're right about the screen. It's a pull down 92". There's a Hitachi projector on the opposite wall. That setup is reserved for movies. Everything else gets displayed on the plasma.

One of the things that I don't like as we move in to the summer months is the sun setting later. I don't have very good light control in that room so I have to wait for darkness to really enjoy the projector. I generally won't start a movie after 21:00 so I won't be watching as many for a few months

Correct. It is angled down toward the sweet spot. Not ideal I know but I had to make a couple of compromises in order to get everything set up close to the way I wanted. It still sounds pretty good and I don't miss any dialog.

Last night I finished one of the 24" X 48" acoustic panels that are going to flank the plasma directly behind the La Scalas. I hope to finish the other one tonight and get them both hung. I'll probably post a revised picture once they're up. I'll try to get a shot of the center even though I haven't completed the grill yet.

• Moderators

Definitely would appreciate some pics of your acoustic panels. After purchasing an amp, my next purchase will be acoustic panels. My room REALLY needs them to tame the slap echo I have in the room. I'm trying to figure out whether to make them or to just buy them. Two companies I've looked at are the Chameleon C2's from Ready Acoustics and ATS Acoustic Panels. If I can save quite a bit by doing them myself, I might opt to go that route. How much do you think it will cost for each panel that you are building?

I bought 6 of the Roxul 60 24" X 48" X 2" panels from ATS. I also got from them 6 yards of the burlap material in a "celery" color. They'll just be another shade of green in an otherwise green room. I probably should have gone with a contrasting color but I just didn't want them to stand out that much.

As for the actual construction I picked up 6 sheets of 24" X 48" X 1/4" birch plywood from Lowes. Using liquid nails construction adhesive (1 tube per panel) I'm gluing the plywood to the panels. I then wrap the entire thing in the burlap and staple it on the back side. They're not the prettiest ones I've ever seen but they're still quite presentable and hopefully will tame some of the echos in that room. Up until a year or so ago there was a really nice berber carpet on the floor and I have very few acoustic issues. Since installing the laminate it now echos a lot.

Has anyone experienced any funky reflections from a flat panel TV? Just for grins and giggles I draped a blanket over the TV the other night and I'd swear the imaging changed. Maybe I'd had one too many beers but it sure sounded different. I haven't repeated the experiment but I'm going to. Right now I'm waiting until all of the panels are up.

If I can remember to do so I'll take some photos of the construction process to post. As for cost they're going to come in at right around $30 each.