tools for stripping wires?

smokarz

just wondering what everyone is using to strip their speaker wires? i am looking for something decent, and cheap. thanks!

btw, just bought a radio shack sound level meter on ebay for $20. now i need to get a wire stripper to complete my 'must have' essentials.

Just visit a hardware store or tool supply and take your pick, they should have a few to choose from that strip and cut, usually crimp also. I have many different ones I use for various wiring jobs.

However I think every time I have made speaker wires I have just used a pair of scissors and a delicate touch but if your not used to stripping wire a wire stripping tool will make the job easier. Something along the lines of what JL Sargent posted is the best all around wire stripping tool.

Automatics are ok for certain rubber coated wire, but try them on small real slick plastic coated wire and they ain't so good. I have several pair of autos sitting at the back of the bench. The Kleins I mentioned are better all around. Maybe I just prefer the simpler things in life.

Automatics are ok for certain rubber coated wire, but try them on small real slick plastic coated wire and they ain't so good. I have several pair of autos sitting at the back of the bench. The Kleins I mentioned are better all around. Maybe I just prefer the simpler things in life.

I have a couple pair of Kleins and the automatics, and my autos work great. The only problems I ever had with them was until I adjusted the plates, and since then, I use them 85% of the time.

I've used everything from teeth (my dentist loves it) to a machete but a couple of years ago I found these and nothing works as easily, as fast, as neatly - okay, you get the picture - I love them. This link is to Parts Express who has them on sale (under $10) but out of stock (they sell). The same basic tool can be found at other places - try MCM, etc if you can't wait on Parts Express. Wish I had a photo to post but it's too late to get into that.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=360-627

I use my teethStick out tongue

LOL. So did I when I was younger. At 50, I can't risk it anymore. Now I use a nice pair of wire strippers like those shown above! Much easier!!

I used to use a razor blade to get it started before finishing with my molars! [:#]

Yep, I've used teeth before too (usually on Cat 5 type wire, not speaker wire)

All of my speaker wire is 12g so I simply use the needle nose pliers I have which have the little notch in them to strip....12g wires!

[Y]

Now, I save my teeth for more productive work.... like ripping off bottle caps [:o]

The Klein Tools strippers like JL Sargent posted are the best all arround and you will love them. Klein makes all professional tools specifically for electricians along with seathed screw drivers so you don't get nailed or an arc from a live wire. Went to JVS for construction electricity and whole tool belt was Klein, that was prior to going to colledge for electrical engineering. My Klein strippers are 28 years old and still work like new after totally wiring many houses and sound systems. The automatic wire strippers go out of adjustment, and break over time, heve used up several like the one you bought. Lowes caries the Klein brand as well as most any electricians outlet. [Y]

Roger