OT: Civet coffee. Have you tried it?

mungkiman

Apparently, the most expensive coffee in the world comes from Civet dung. Civets are nocturnal, cat-like, creatures, that eat the tastiest and ripest of coffee "cherries". Once the pits (beans) have passed through their digestive tracts, they are washed and sold as specialty beans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/world/asia/18civetcoffee.html

So the rationale for this is that the animal only eats the best, yet passes it through as a brewable bean. It's a premium bean, except its been through the digestive tract of an animal. Sounds like you'd be better off picking the best beans yourself and skip the excremental process. Of course human error then comes into play but ffs it's only coffee. No I have not tried it.

It's a premium bean because it's been through the digestive tract of a specific animal. Apparently, the digestive process removes some of the acidity, but also some of the caffeine. Not to be funny, or rude, but the flavor is described as "chocolaty".

I'd try it, if I knew it was the real deal. AND properly cleaned...

It's a premium bean because it's been through the digestive tract of a specific animal. Apparently, the digestive process removes some of the acidity, but also some of the caffeine. Not to be funny, or rude, but the flavor is described as "chocolaty".

I'd try it, if I knew it was the real deal. AND properly cleaned...

Sorry, but I'm laughing anyway. Chocolaty?

Wild is more work, even though Civets conduct their business in the same place, consistently. Farm raised cats are fed a mash of coffee cherries and bananas, which greatly increases their "output", if you will, but likely reduces any "beneficial" chemical reactions.

There is a tree that produces nuts (or maybe fruit pits) which will only germinate after passing through an elephant. Interesting stuff, for sure.