Ribs: Whaddaya think

fini

I just wanted to run this by the meat maestros here. I'm trying a slower cooking technique (I asked my wife) to get a more tender rib (seemed like a good price at the store...$2.27/lb.). I've got two racks in the oven on baking sheets at 285 degrees. Very simply spiced with salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, tumeric, and a bottle of ale* split between the two. Beets, broccoli and pesto pasta will accompany. It's been in there about an hour, and things are starting to smell yummy. I'm planning on another 1-2 hours.

*Redhook ESB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time try 3-4 hours at not a degree over 225. Put a pan of water in with them a couple of inches deep to keep things moist. If you like 1/2 way through wrap them in foil. Be sure and get the membrane off the back of the ribs and rub both sides of your meat.[:D]

My favorite bbq place leaves the membrane on and they have been doing ribs since 1930 but I've always removed it when I grill. I'd do a long slow day smoke with hickory :) I do brine mine first not unlike the mighty sea bacon that does self brining..

2085619-Swimming-Pigs-0.jpg

The membrane is on the bone side of the rack. Use a clean philips screwdriver or the handle of a spoon to loosen it up from the meat. Once you get a bit of it started to loosen, grap it with a paper towel (it is a slippery little thing) and pull it off the rack. It adds nothing to the ribs and is nasty to eat.

Fini,

Removing the membrane gives a tenderer rib and also allows the flavor from the smoke and/or rub to penetrate both sides.

The ribs should be cold, read right out of the fridge, to make it easier to seperate.

Start at the end with the largest(widest)bone and gently pry the membrane up with a butter knife.

Once you lift the edge of the membrane, you’ll see another, thinner membrane. Don't remove it, that's what holds the ribs together while they're cooking.

After you get the membrane started, get your fingers underneath and pull it loose to the point where you can use a paper towel to pull it the rest of the way off. Always keep changing your grip so that the you are holding the ribs down with one hand and getting your grip on the membrane as close to the ribs as you can.

Use as many paper towels as is needed. I can usually pull the entire membrane off without it tearing. If it does tear, no big deal, just get your butter knife out and continue like you started off.

Cal, I saw that you had already posted a more concise version, but I had already done all this typing and wasn't going to let it go to waste.

Edit: BTW, friends don't let friends EVER boil their ribs, even for a few minutes.

Randall

Well there you go, I learned something today! 54 years old, and I was never told about that membrane. I wonder if there's anything else I don't know...Thanks for all the tips, guys!! Now I wanna go get more ribs for tonight....

I do 325degrees for 2 hours- in a tin foil lined roaster pan seasoned with salt pepper garlic and vinegar-take out at 2 hours- remove all the grease - fat and nasty stuff- cover with sauce - cook for another hour - turn off oven - let sit for 30 mins.

I had these last night and they were great- baby backs. It is fast and easy with little or no cleanup. the ribs are falling apart when finished- I use this recipie at least once a week.. nearly perfect.

Should I expierment with longer cook times and reduce the temp to 250-275-300?

As a meat-related aside, the butcher at my market recommended an interesting way to cook roasts. 500 degree oven, 5 minutes per pound, then shut off the oven, and do not open for 2 hours. I have yet to try it.

I do 325degrees for 2 hours- in a tin foil lined roaster pan seasoned with salt pepper garlic and vinegar-take out at 2 hours- remove all the grease - fat and nasty stuff- cover with sauce - cook for another hour - turn off oven - let sit for 30 mins.

I had these last night and they were great- baby backs. It is fast and easy with little or no cleanup. the ribs are falling apart when finished- I use this recipie at least once a week.. nearly perfect.

Should I expierment with longer cook times and reduce the temp to 250-275-300?

Winchester, I have never cooked ribs in an oven, but as far as heat, the formula should be the same. Mine are always done in my smoker. But here goes...

If I were doing them in an oven, I would try to keep the ribs off the pan, sorta like trying to simulate a grill over the pan so that the heat would more evenly wrap around the ribs.

I shoot for between 230-240 degrees for 2 hours meat side up. I then spray both sides pretty liberally with apple juice, or pineapple or experiment(I've even tried orange juice). Put the ribs back on the rack, still meat side up. Let 'em cook for another hour. Then take 'em out again, respray both sides again, then wrap 'em up tightly in heavy aluminum foil and stick 'em back in BONE SIDE UP. Cook for another 1- 1 1/2 hours. Take them out, remove the foil, they should be very tender at this point, you can check by pulling one of the bones. If it feels loose, you are probably in good shape(after awhile you get better at this). You really don't want the meat to be falling off the bone, no matter how good that sounds.

If they are at a very tender stage, you are ready to finish them off with a glaze. You make the glaze by mixing one cup of your favorite BBQ sauce with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of honey. Mop the chit out of them, both sides. Really no need to worry about which sides up at this point. Place the ribs back on your pan/rack without the foil, 30 minutes later mop them again, just flip them over from the way you had em in for the first 30 min. I would probably cut my temp. down to around 200-210 before you stick it back in after starting the glaze. Not probably, definitly cut the heat down, even 180-190 for the last hour would be alright.

Hope I didn't rattle. And if you get the chance, go for a smoker, you'll never cook Q any other way once you get the hang of it.

EDIT: this was mainly just cooking times, your rubs and other stuff should already be taken care of before my ramblings kick in. My finger is getting sore. SO......

Enjoy,

Randall

Edit: BTW, friends don't let friends EVER boil their ribs, even for a few minutes.

Amen! I did try the boil method and it was not good.

I like minimal seasonings and let the smoke do the work.

My favorite rib place will not discuss temperature but will tell you seasoning but not proportions. Teases.

fqZAJEFkhuRlDB-640m.jpg

Sauce on the side : )

And if you get the chance, go for a smoker, you'll never cook Q any other way once you get the hang of it.

Randall, do you have any recommendations on a smoker? I have a Webber kettle, that's it.

BTW, I just returned from Raley's (supermarket) where they had rib roasts on sale for 5.97/lb. (whole ribeyes, about 20#, were $4.97/ lb.). The butcher (nice guy) cut me a nice 7#. Ooh baby!

As a meat-related aside, the butcher at my market recommended an interesting way to cook roasts. 500 degree oven, 5 minutes per pound, then shut off the oven, and do not open for 2 hours. I have yet to try it.

I've tried it this way... and it does work... However, you do miss all of the extra's that come with cooking it outside...