Klipsch Heresy w/sub vs Cornwalls, etc

texas42

I've been looking (unsuccessfully so far) for a pair of Cornwalls, Fortes or even La Scalas in decent shape in the San Antonio area to be used in a small two channel room with a Jolida 302BRC integrated amp. I am now thinking of expanding my search to a nice pair of used Heresy's or even a new pair of Heresy III's to be used with my Sunfire Super Junior sub (1200wpc high excursion small sub). Obviously, the Cornwalls, Fortes, LaScalas, etc) would have more bass than the Heresy's (by themselves) but my question is whether a pair of Heresy's WITH a sub would provide me the same quality of sound? I've owned all 4 models mentioned in this thread in the past but don't really recall a lot about the Heresy's I had as I didn't have them long. Do they provide true 'heritage' sound or are they more of a Klipsch with training wheels? Any comments on their performance appreciated...

Heresy I's sound about as Heritage as you can get but are not in the same league as the Cornwall or La Scala, even with a sub.

IMHO

Wait for La Scalas (if you can fit them in.)

That's for "best" quality of sound (most balanced and lifelike.)

IMHO

If you want more bass at the cost of the sweet La Scala midrange then lean toward the corns over the La Scala.

The Heresy has its own balanced heritage sound and with a tube amp and at moderate volumes is a very sweet combo all by it self.

I never liked the Heresy with a sub.

Sometime this winter I will be setting up a second 2 channel system with a Scott LK-72 and a pair of Heresy I's and (shudder) a Sony HD FM - lol.

Never to exceed 105 or 106 db.

My main 2 channel system (La Scala / subs) cracks 115 db when I want it to.

My Cornwalls are waiting for the day that I want more than the Heresy's give comfortably.

just my 2 cents because no one else had replied.

Noah

I agree with Noah on many points.

I have never owned any heritage but Heresy...... Yes they provide true heritage sound, but as you go up the line (up to Khorns); the bigger the speaker, the larger the soundstage, the more the overal presence and detail is improved.....

I dream (like you) for Corns someday....... (Or Chorus II)....

That being said, the Heresies are a kick butt little speaker. They are able to provide a level of detail most people have not heard... (Not referring to forum members, just general public). I love them and will probably keep them even if I get CWs or Chorus II.

I recently had a set of KG 5.2s... Great speaker (2 way). Not nearly as detailed, but they thumped! I had to choose.... Ultimately the quality of the overall sound of the Heresies was far superior even though the KG 5.2s quality of bass was amazing.

I am currently using a KSW 10 and it works very well.... That being said I am looking for a punchier sub, I want to take the bass drums, etc up to another level. Heresies are definitely some of the best bang for buck speakers out there.... The H IIIs are reputed to be better in every way then H Is or H IIs.......

Good Luck.

• Moderators

If I had to guess, the reason so many say LaScala is the same reason I like them, the midrange. They have the same midrange as the Klipschorn, you can always add bass but you can't make a Heresy of a Cornwall have the midrange of a Lascala or Klipschorn, at least not easily or cheap.

In the garage sale section, there is a very nice pair of Corns in Florida for $650 - and he's been asking a while. I have no clue what's involved with proper packing and shipping, but $650 for a pair in very nice condition is quite a deal. The Cornwalls come up all the time in Houston. You should check the Houston Craiglist. None there today, though.

I've been looking (unsuccessfully so far) for a pair of Cornwalls, Fortes or even La Scalas in decent shape in the San Antonio area to be used in a small two channel room with a Jolida 302BRC integrated amp. I am now thinking of expanding my search to a nice pair of used Heresy's or even a new pair of Heresy III's to be used with my Sunfire Super Junior sub (1200wpc high excursion small sub). Obviously, the Cornwalls, Fortes, LaScalas, etc) would have more bass than the Heresy's (by themselves) but my question is whether a pair of Heresy's WITH a sub would provide me the same quality of sound? I've owned all 4 models mentioned in this thread in the past but don't really recall a lot about the Heresy's I had as I didn't have them long. Do they provide true 'heritage' sound or are they more of a Klipsch with training wheels? Any comments on their performance appreciated...

There are a coupl of extremely nice "belle klipsch" speakers on ebay right now.Also one very nice pair of heresy 3 speakers.Either set will work well with your sub and they are both in the same leage pricewise.Around 1100 bucks.Check em out.

..... whether a pair of Heresy's WITH a sub would provide me the same quality of sound?

....Do they provide true 'heritage' sound or are they more of a Klipsch with training wheels? Any comments on their performance appreciated...

The requirement for a sub with the Heresy's is extremely dependent upon two factors: (1) the Heresy itself, and (2) the room's acoustic geometry.

Heresy Rule Number #1.... A pair of Heresy's, especially if they are SEALED correctly, have good diaphragms, crossovers are redone, and the woofers are up to par, will amaze you.

It's actually scary just how much good sound you can get out of the "lil' boxes"..... (see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx ) The pair in the "man cave" Wall of Voodoo are that good. I've had Forum members over and just switched on the Heresy "eXtremes" and folks thought the K'horns were "workin"....

The room's acoustics become very, very apparent when using a smaller speaker. Ceiling & rear corner reflections, bass absorption from furniture, rugs; assymetrical wall configurations, etc. ad. inf. really come into play with the Heresy's since they are physically smaller and lesss sensitive that the "beastie boys". Yiu have to play around with placement, riser angles (if used), etc., etc.

Heritage sound? You bet! At lower volumes, they will fool you (pleasantly though).

The Heresy is probably the best "bang for the buck" when looking at Heritage.... provided Heresy Rule #1 is followed...

[H]

I have a few pair of Heresy's (I & 2) along with a pair of cornwalls. I also have a Sunfire True Signature subwoofer that I have upstairs hooked up and I occasionally use it with the Heresy II's. I do NOT use the sub very often when listening to music, but when watching movies and I want "effects", ie. really low bass. I know the GLA51 already covered the Heresy basics above, but to reiterate, these speakers set up right sound awesome. Putting them on the floor, close to the wall (I have them in corners) they are not shy of bass. They sound awesome. Yes, I like the Cornwalls better, but the Heresy are awesome as well. In addition to making the purchase that fits your budget, the size of the speakers also need to fit work for you. I don't know your situation, but I have another besides myself I have to please when it come to decorating. When she is happy, I'm happy, and right now and can't complain with the speakers I have and the car (see avatar above) taking up space in our garage. The Sunfire subs are similar to the Heresy speakers in one way - bang for your buck.

If I had to guess, the reason so many say LaScala is the same reason I like them, the midrange. They have the same midrange as the Klipschorn, you can always add bass but you can't make a Heresy of a Cornwall have the midrange of a Lascala or Klipschorn, at least not easily or cheap.

+1 [Y]

Dennie

In a larger room Id go with the cornwalls. to me theyre overall more balanced if youre not going to use a sub. i like my la scalas too but i needed to tune down the midrange because it became kinda shrilly. idk how much of that has to do with my amp/wiring/crossover but when i get them loud they sounded a bit thin. the cornwalls will absolutely rock as well.. if youre room is smaller i absolutteelllyyyy love my Chorus II's and Forte IIs. Lots of bass too.

What amps are you using?

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have Cornwalls (owned for 20+ years) and Heresy's (owned for 3 years) and I've owned La Scalas (but it's been 30+ years ago!). So. my short answer is that the Heresy can never match the big, rich, beautiful sound of the Cornwall or La Scala- it's like a little box vs. a live performance. A subwoofer isn't going to make the Heresy sound like a Cornwalll or La Scala. Between the La Scala and the Cornwall, well, the Cornwall is smoother and is my choice. The La Scala is just harsher, more appropriate for a stage speaker, if my memory from 30 years ago is correct. Get the Cornwall, no matter how long it takes or how far you have to drive!

I currently have Cornwalls (owned for 20+ years) and Heresy's (owned for 3 years) and I've owned La Scalas (but it's been 30+ years ago!). So. my short answer is that the Heresy can never match the big, rich, beautiful sound of the Cornwall or La Scala- it's like a little box vs. a live performance. A subwoofer isn't going to make the Heresy sound like a Cornwalll or La Scala. Between the La Scala and the Cornwall, well, the Cornwall is smoother and is my choice. The La Scala is just harsher, more appropriate for a stage speaker, if my memory from 30 years ago is correct. Get the Cornwall, no matter how long it takes or how far you have to drive!

There are those on this forum who would totally disagree with that statement about La Scalas.

Also, I am curious if you have ever done an A - B comparison of any of these speakers on the same setup; etc.

Also, consider the source material; You would be surprised how bad they sound if the source material is bad and how great they sound when the source material is good!

Basing an opinion on a 30 yr old memory is not an objective opinion and we often remember things very different from how they actually are.

I also disagree about Heresy being "like a little box". Not Cowrnwalls; but when set up properly; they are a great, GREAT speaker....

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

There are those on this forum who would totally disagree with that statement about La Scalas.

Also, I am curious if you have ever done an A - B comparison of any of these speakers on the same setup; etc.

Also, consider the source material; You would be surprised how bad they sound if the source material is bad and how great they sound when the source material is good!

Basing an opinion on a 30 yr old memory is not an objective opinion and we often remember things very different from how they actually are.

I also disagree about Heresy being "like a little box". Not Cowrnwalls; but when set up properly; they are a great, GREAT speaker....

Actually, I think jgg has a key point.

I have owned LaScalas and 4 pairs of Khorns. The only way the k400 isn't midrange heavy is by pairing it with a larger and more balanced bass horn such as the Khorn. Seems like jgg's 30yr old memory holds true as he has had Cornwalls for quite a while now. More balanced overall than most would say about other speakers. The LaScalas can have a wonderful midrange though. Many folks have found fault in the K400(1) - (look at all the tractrix mid horns running rampant on this forum). They have to be set up just right with particular music where you don't care about the bass filling the foundation in and not showing the mids weaknesses. As a matter of fact, I kept my KLF-30's I had at the time and sold the beautiful pair of LaScalas as I did not want to do serious modding to them.

That said, in the past 10 years I have owned Cornwall II's, Forte IIs, and LaScalas (2 other pair of Khorns come and gone). Of Klipsch speakers,(I own a bunch of speakers) I currently own Heresy 1.5's and 2's, RB5s, KLF-30's and Khorns. When paired with subs (2 hand build Focal 13"), Heresys are great for HT. For a smaller room, the subs can be a definite overkill for music but not HT. For what you want your Heresys could work wonders close to the wall and about 8" off the floor on angled stands. The bass will not be overwhelming and likely as tubby and overloading as with the 15" woofers in a smaller room. Corns can be that way. Add the sub when/if you want to watch movies. You would be surprised how much bottom end Heresys can really produce positioned that way.

If you are really looking for bigger sound then you could search out Cornwalls or possibly look at this thread entry by djk at

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/137682.aspx?PageIndex=2

If you are a good box builder and know a little bit about crossover work, you could build yourself something close to a Cornwall by getting two k-33s and rebuilding using your Heresy parts.

Remember, we want to listen to our music, not change our choice in music to fit the system. The system should be able to balance across a broad range of source material (not saying electronics) instead of us not enjoying due to having to focus on one attribute of a system and that is it.

My opinions of course.