My new sliding-panel table saw

I'm so excited about this I just had to share it with someone!

I did a lot of research on saws and I was just about to buy a similar new saw of lower-quality when I got an email from the Felder rep, telling me about this one for sale in New Jersey. 18 months old, used only a few times by a wealthy hobbiest woodworker, single phase motor, 8' slide, 31" rip to the right of the blade, lots of accessories. A 20-hour round trip road trip to NJ with my trailer in tow and this baby is now mine!

Alone, I can accurately rip 8' with the sliding table on this saw and my hands don't go anywhere near the blade, no fence to bind on - just smooth accurate repeatable cuts on large panels. Perfect for building big horn speakers.

Cutting panels to make parts for Khorn bass bins becomes much easier with a saw like this.

Greg

post-11090-13819600358684_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819618839276_thumb.jpg

Now, That, is a table saw! Congrats....whats the first project?

I hope it's the new bass horn design I'm working on. Follows the Khorn folding pattern, but many differences in quality of construction, smoothness of horn pathway, deeper bass, enclosed backs, etc...

Greg

Beautiful machine Greg, Felder is well respected. Let us know what you think after a few days of use.

Tom

I will. When I get back from my trip I'm going to work on getting it cleaned up and powered up.

Nice LS in your avatar. I must have missed your restoration thread!

Greg

I will. When I get back from my trip I'm going to work on getting it cleaned up and powered up.

Nice LS in your avatar. I must have missed your restoration thread!

Greg

Thanks Greg, I was really happy with the way they turned out. The caining isn't true Klipsch, but very nice. Thanks to those here that gave advice on reinforcement of the bass bin.

Tom

Greg, I understand that you offer a variety of products, but you mentioned building Klipschorn-like bass bins.

I am not asking for propriatary information, but I am curious about the general demand for large bass cabinets. I got the impression that the Speaker Lab cabinets or the Shinnal (?) cabinets (and this may not be a good comparison) never had a big demand. I assume this was because folks preferred a "store- bought" version.

Do you see "big cabinets" making a comeback?

Greg, I understand that you offer a variety of products, but you mentioned building Klipschorn-like bass bins.

I am not asking for propriatary information, but I am curious about the general demand for large bass cabinets. I got the impression that the Speaker Lab cabinets or the Shinnal (?) cabinets (and this may not be a good comparison) never had a big demand. I assume this was because folks preferred a "store- bought" version.

Do you see "big cabinets" making a comeback?

I've been a little surprised at the number of requests for Jamboree plans and I've been asked a half-dozen times to quote building Jamboree cabinets. But no sales of cabinets yet. I think it would make a difference if I actually had them built and ready to ship, maybe even knock down kits for DIY'ers.

I don't think there is much demand for large cabinets and I don't really see that changing much. A lot of the interest I'm getting at Volti Audio is from DIY'ers, and they're not going to spend $10K - $15K on a pair of Volti speakers. But there's bound to be a few customers out there for me, it's just a matter of having the product available and marketing it. A good review on a pair might be the start of something. It's going to take time.

Right now my interest in building the new corner bass horns is mostly personal, as I continue to improve my own system. After making significant improvements to the upper horns and crossovers, it just makes sense to work on the bass horns. Whether or not sales come from that remains to be seen.

Greg

The Felder weighs 1800 lbs. with the outrigger! It really is quite a nice machine. I took the handle that raises and lowers the blade off for the move, and I could very easily raise and lower the blade by using two fingers to turn the shaft that the handle attaches to!

I can't wait to get back from Russia to play with this thing. I need to get the power hooked up to it. It needs a 25amp breaker and all I had running over there is a 60' long piece of 12/2. So I've got to install a 10/2 wire and receptacle. I also need to clean it up. The previous owner let it get rusty. I badgered him about it. I also need to check all the adjustements on the tables and fences, which is going to take a few hours.

Well, off to Russia tomorrow. I'll check in when I return.

Greg

Oy vey, very nice! 3-4 weeks ago one of my nieces got married, wedding and reception were at her dad's house, my sister's ex, who I hadn't seen in probably 20 years. As we were leaving he took us through his shop. I knew he was a contractor, but I was stunned by his shop. Had to be nearly 2,000 sf. Right in the middle of the floor was a Felder cabinet saw, a massive blue beast. My jaw hit the deck. Several other items, plenty of dust control capacity, and space to maneuver around. Visions of speaker building projects immediately leaped into my head. Off in the corner, my wife saw them first and pointed them out to me, were a pair of Choruses, looking to be pristine, aside from gathering dust. He had no idea what he had, other than they were Klipsch. I made it clear to him that I'd be plenty happy to take them off his hands for a fair price. The crime of it is, he's got a home theater set-up in the basement, but for mains is using in-wall speakers. I thought, you've got these beauties, which you apparently like, gathering dust in the shop when they could be used in your theater? Oh, the humanity!