HELP! They got my 61" Samsung

Tom Adams

So at 1:30 Tuesday afternoon I get the following call from my wife....

"Hey...it's me. Listen, I'm on my way home with Ron (DA that she works for) and I don't have a whole lot of info to tell you but I got a call from a sheriff's detective saying she was standing in our kitchen and asked me to come home 'cause there was a burgurlary at our house. I'll call you when I find out more. Can you get away from work?"

My heart sunk..... [:(]

The bad news was that they snatched the 61" Samsung (took all HDMI cables but left the power cord - WTF??? [*-)] ) and my wife's jewelry box (approx. $12K worth of stuff) and that was it. Don't have a clue why they left the laptop sitting out in plain sight or any thing else. The good news is that we recovered the TV and around $8K of the jewelry. BUT....the Samsung is toast due to screen scratches and image misalignment (it's a 2 year old LED DLP) I guess caused by their delicate transportation method of shoving it into the trunk of some small car. So......

I get to begin my search for a replacement and quite frankly, I'm shocked at how much the TV industry has progressed in just two years. As I started looking on the internet, I felt almost lost - especially when it came to the various new LED offerings.

We'd like to stay with the same or close to the same size. Actually, we really can't go much larger than 60". Would you guys have any suggestions, tips, comments, opinions (LMAO - this bunch have opinions?? Shyeah right), or recommendations??

TIA!!

Tom

Sorry to hear about your loss of possesions and sense of comfort. Break-ins take a toll on people. I remember coming home from school when I was in 5th grade (latch-key kid), and I was the one who discovered we had been broken into...I had no idea if they were still there. I didn't go inside to use the phone, I just stayed outside a safe distance from my house until my dad came home. But I digress.

Since you had a 61" Samsung LED, I would stick with something similar. I like my samsung. You can probably get a much better LED now for a lot less than you paid 2 years ago. Look for higher refresh rates (at least 120 Hz, 240 is better, after that, it doesn't matter as much). But, let your eyes be the judge. Remember store settings are juiced. When you get it in your home, you don't need it that bright.

EDIT - I overlooked the DLP part of your original post. I would go plasma or LED LCD now, unless you were happy with your DLP, in which case you could stick with it.

Glad it was just Stuff and that no one was hurt.

Unless Insurance is giving you some money, I would just get a Regular LCD TV (as opposed to the LED tv). Prices have come way down in the last two years so you could get a good bargain.

I love Samsung.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305LN55650/Samsung-LN55B650.html?c=16

OR

LED/LCD TV much more expensive............

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30555C6500/Samsung-UN55C6500.html?c=16

I have a 61" Samsung DLP in one one room, and a flat-panel LCD in the bedroom. The flat-screen plasmas and LCD's blow the doors off of DLP. Obviously, they cost more, if you keep the screen size a constant. IMO, I'd buy a smaller flat-screen for the same price as it would take to replace the DLP, or if you want to spend more, spend more. I would not go back with DLP.

Thanks for the kind words and ideas/opinions.

Yeah - the main things are that a) no one was at home (although there is reason to believe they were waiting for the wife to leave for work) and that B) it was mostly just stuff that can be replaced......well, there was a couple of pieces of jewerly that had more sentimental value than $$ value.

To be clear the buggered Samsung is a DLP that uses an LED light engine. And I agree that DLP is out for a replacement unit. It's either LCD or LED. I'm not considering plasma cause I think that technology is on it's way out. HOWEVER - if I come across a really nice looking set with a killer price, I'm not gonna rule it totally out.

I briefly looked at a Samsung 55" LCD at Wal Mart today and honestly, as much as I liked my old Samsung DLP that TV at Wal Mart blew it away. The wife suggested we spend some time at Best Buy, so that may be in store tonight along with a nice Italian dinner to remind ourselves that possessions come & go.

Tom

We purchased our 52" Shapr Aquos from QVC 1 year ago. (Yeah, I know... QVC? But it was $200-$300 cheaper than the local stores for the EXACT MODEL... and we got to make monthly payments)..... It is 120hz refresh, and was just under a grand.

You should be able to find something in the 55" range (maybe even bigger) for similar coin.....

I am sorry for the loss you have experienced; at least they got caught (I assume?) and you can get on with your lives.

They are possessions and no one getting hurt is the silver lining for sure.

Cheers.

Plasma is not out ..it's just not being pimped at the stores. DLP was out 2 years ago and you managed to be happy with it ..

if your focus is more on movies and retaining a bit of cinematic quality - stick with plasma.

if your focus is more on sports, animation, gaming - go with LED LCD.

plasma is not out.. (did i already say that?)

Again - thanks guys for the comments. And based upon that I've stepped back and re-thought the idea of a plasma set. In my short research there seems to be some very good deals out there. Interestingly, even though Best Buy has quite a few plasma's of various screen sizes listed on their website, my local store had NOT ONE plasma TV on display or even on the shelves. Which lends credence to the comment that one of you made about folks not pimping or promoting them. Even more so is the fact that the plasma's on BB's site are new models and not some left over 2009 units or some such.

Tom

Something else you may want to consider , if you have the time and can wait, is the CEDIA show is in Atl next month( last week).

You can get in there and play with all the "toys" and see what is out there .If you're gonna spend the money check out all the manuf at one spot

and see which you like best ... will fit in the area you have .... and that you won't want to "upgrade" in a couple of years.

Lot's of really neat stuff there including Audio / connections / and mounting

Memphis Mike

also ..dont get too hung up on web reviews.i had a meltdown reading every review and forum post for the models in my price range. I ended up picking the plasma in my sig, in spite of some chronic buzzing issues and flawed 'cinesmooth' 24fps implementation. I had the buzz, but unlike most people who experienced and sent it back within a week, i toughed it out and either a) grew numb or B) it went away.

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Glad you and the Missus were not there to be in any harms way if it could have occured.

I do have a website that may be of interest to you and others. It rates the HDTV selection on may counts and can give you the prices from various store.

http://www.retrevo.com/samples/TV.html

You can do searches on size, brands etc.

Hope this helps.

To TomAdams,

I am sorry to hear about your break in. As for the TV replacement I would take a look at http://www.modia.com/ I brought my 40 inch led lcd samsung there two years ago and it was straightforward, no bs. They had a price, I even called them up to make sure I did not have to have a special delivery and the person was very straightforward and said you did not need the fancy delivery and that standard would be just fine. The packing was good, they did not double box but they added all the bells and whistles on the box (They put tip over warning stickers and g force shock stickers to show if the box was dropped or put upside down.) It was all fine and in the future I will do business with them again. My parents were eyeing a 58 inch plasma screen from panasonic and it is very cheap there (300 cheaper than bestbuy)

Hope this helps

Skimmed through and I can't see that anyone mentioned the apparently excellent work of your local law enforcement. Or did they just bring the stuff back and apologize for the inconvenience? Stick out tongue

Dave

Well.....for those that are curious, the story goes like this.

A sheriffs deputy is doing his patrol thing when he comes up to a 4-way stop. Pulling up to the stop sign on his right he sees a small car with 3 guys in it and "a big honking TV hanging out the trunk". The officer, now suspicious, proceeds thru the intersection and notices the three guys kinda doing the head spin thing. As the officer drove away he kept looking back and the car doesn't leave the stop sign. The officer thinks this is too weird and decides to turn around. As he get back the intersection (the car has already pulled away) the officer sees the car pulling off the road. Lights & siren go on, doors on car fly open and two guys flee. He pulls up and the third is starting to run, but he catches him. He asks the suspect why he & his friends are running. The suspect says, "Uhhhh....I dunno". So he asks him where they got the TV and the suspect says, "Uhhhh.....from a friend?" And the friends name is what? "Uhhhh.....well.....actually.....we took it from a house." What house? "Uhhhhh......I dunno, but I can take you to it."

As an aside, when the detective gave my wife the initial report (remember - the wife works in the DA's office) it has the name of the guy they picked up (the other two are at large as of today). She thinks the name sounds familiar so she runs it through her system. Sure enough, this 21 year old had been charged two years ago with burglary WITH HIS DAD (how nice......a father & son team) and was out on parole.

Tom