Hanna Montana lives!

mike stehr

Cool little amp. Looks to be a EL34 push/pull, not sure about the signal tubes but I'm guessing 12Ax7 or variant. What's the bottle caps on top of those tubes?

I like these little EL34 amps a lot, very sweet sounding, yet still detailed. Not much headroom, but how much do you need to drive Klipsch. Looks like you totally rebuilt the power supply

Console pull?

Oh, whose this Hannah Montana? Sounds like somebody who headed out West in a Conestoga wagon and settled the Prairie.

It's a 6BQ5/EL-84 console amplifier, Marty.

It was pulled from a 1961 Admiral stereo console. The driver tubes were originally 12AU7 in a cathodyne phase inverter arrangement. The stock parts checked out pretty much within spec, except a multicapacitor can. Voltages were a bit higher, and had to compensate for it.

But it was good enough for a first listen with the stock parts/circuit. It used RCA cleartop 12AU7, with RCA 6BQ5's and RCA 5U4 rectifier. Right off I hated it. A ratty sound that would turn into a sibilant mush when pushed ever so slighty...

My old audio friend and I have always conversed about this circuit, and have tried it to no avail with a pair of Eico HF-12 mono integrated amplifiers converted to power amps.

I think I'm pretty sure this is a paraphase inverter driver circuit. I copied the schematic pretty much part for part, except the output transformers. The Admiral OPTs do not have a screen tap, so I'm using the stock screen supply B+. The one Sprague can is NOS, which more or less means borrowed time anyways. But it's nice and quiet.

http://www.forceaudio.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=308&d=1144729820

The driver tubes are Mullard CV4004 with those little top hat dampers on them. EI El-84's, with a GE 5Y3 to drop a bit of voltage.

It sounds 50 times better than it did in stock form. It's actually a nice sounding little 6BQ5 PP console amplifier, with good midrange of course. Not midrange like a SET amp, but nice. I resurrected the amp while pondering over ordering a multicapacitor cap can for my Scott LK48B. Now that's a good sounding 7189/6BQ5 PP integrated amp, to me.

Cool little amp. Looks to be a EL34 push/pull, not sure about the signal tubes but I'm guessing 12Ax7 or variant. What's the bottle caps on top of those tubes?

I like these little EL34 amps a lot, very sweet sounding, yet still detailed. Not much headroom, but how much do you need to drive Klipsch. Looks like you totally rebuilt the power supply

Console pull?

Oh, whose this Hannah Montana? Sounds like somebody who headed out West in a Conestoga wagon and settled the Prairie.

It's his fault...

post-6643-13819615844138_thumb.jpg

post-6643-13819620065434_thumb.jpg

Sorry Mike, a typo. I really did mean to say EL84. I have two of these, a Fisher console amp pull and a little Knight integrated. Now my $50 Marantz 8b, does indeed use EL34's.[:D]

So again, whose this Montana girl, Slim Pickins daughter?

Sorry Mike, a typo. I really did mean to say EL84. I have two of these, a Fisher console amp pull and a little Knight integrated. Now my $50 Marantz 8b, does indeed use EL34's.Big Smile

So again, whose this Montana girl, Slim Pickins daughter?

Billy Ray Cyrus did "Boot Scoot Boogie". Hanna Montana is a kids show on the Disney Channel.

Have you ever listened to the Knight integrated, and what did you think of it?

Fair enough. Might I suggest trying Marilyn Monroe on original 1950's photo paper?

That would be kinda cool. Cover the chassis in Marilyn Monroe stickers...they make 'em.

What I should do is build a wood skirt around the sides and front. It was always a experiment amplifer and I never was concerned about the looks of it.

That would be kinda cool. Cover the chassis in Marilyn Monroe stickers...they make 'em.

What I should do is build a wood skirt around the sides and front.

Be sure that skirt gets blown up...

marilyn-monroe-skirt.jpg

What I should do is build a wood skirt around the sides and front.

Be sure that skirt gets blown up...

marilyn-monroe-skirt.jpg

How did Marilyn get involved in this???