I just got my new Sharp Quattron TV setup-and I am loving it

substance-p

First things first-I am a plasma guy. I have a Panasonic plasma in the bedroom and an LG in the theater. I have been unwilling to buy an LCD until now. Not that I haven't seen some nice LCDs, they just looked different enough to my eye to not to do it for me.

I had to replace the 40 inch HD Sony XBR in the family room (it was too big in the new house and was obstructing an A/C vent. This killed me because the tube TV in 1080i had my favorite picture (granted in 16:9 mode it was like 35 inches of screen).

This room can get a lot of sunlight and my Wife loves to keep the window shades open so I was reluctant to purchase a 3rd plasma as the replacement for the Sony. I went and looked at LCD, LCD/LED, etc. options for a few days-watching TV until I got a headache at Best Buy and HH Gregg. I almost bought an LG 5400 just because Fry's had a sick deal on it and I like the online options on my LG plasma-but I couldn't fall in love with the picture.

Anyway, then I saw the Quattron. At first, it was hard to tell if it was a plasma or an LCD/LED. I went home, read some articles, and decided to take advantage of a sale and get a 40le810un.

I set the TV up today and adjusted the picture with setting posted in a pretty thorough review of the 810.

First things first-out of the box the picture was REALLY good. Secondly, after doing the tweaks referenced above, I find the picture AMAZING.

I'll post some more feedback after I get some miles on this; however, I feel like this was $899 well spent.

Now it's time for some small speakers to compliment it and replace the old school PS3 with a Blu ray....

I really wish I had waited to get a TV before I decided on my Mistubishi DLP. Its a nice TV but after seeing friends with LCD/plasma sets I do like the look of them much better.

Sounds like you're really happy with your TV which is a great thing!

Keep in mind that 99.9% of the banding you see OTA is being transmitted by the tv station and is not the fault of your set. You can easily tell by showing a Bluray movie if you have that capability. The movie will be perfect with no visable banding.

JJK

Wow those pictures look amazing! Is that a calibrated picture or are you using the out of the box settings? If the pic isn't calibrated then it will look even better once you do that using a calibration disc such as Avia II or Spears and Munsil (which is on blu ray. Avia is on DVD) Don't get me wrong the picture looks great as is but if it isn't calibrated then you're not getting the best picture and I see that TV has some amazing capabilities in it. I've never honestly been a Sharp fan....I'm a Samsung guy with Sony coming in a close second but with the new generation Quattron TVs looking this good I will probably have to consider them when I start looking for another TV. Is the TV LED backlit? Do you know if it's edge lit? I know you said you're a plasma guy so I have to ask. Forgive me if you've already stated this but would you rate the blacks on this tv as being "plasma black" or fairly close to it?

I calibrated the picture based on a review wherein the reviewer had calibrated off a disc. Picture out of the box was very good but a bit too bright for my eye. The calibration led to, in my opinion, very good flesh tones and a good looking picture; however, I did sacrifice a bit in the black department when I did the calibration-I think the slight loss in black levels was a good tradeoff for the overall effect.

In terms of out of the box black levels compared to a plasma, they were not plasma like (at least not as good as a higher end plasma); however, it does a great job providing realistic image reproduction of flesh tones and other images it reminds of a plasma in that respect.

This is my first Sharp (and my first LED/LCD). I have been a Panasonic and LG fan of late and a Sony fan before that (as evidenced by the gigantic Sony CRT I have listed. Having said that, I like this TV so far.

It is an edge lit LED in answer to your other question (or UltraBrilliant edge-lit LED backlight as they call it).