OT: THEIR tv shows

fini

Me: "Honey? Just WHY do you have to watch Bristol Palin dancing with some star?"

I was in the kitchen last night, paying bills and heard a scream from the living room. I threw down my pen and almost fell over the chair on my way to the living room to see what was wrong. "What's the matter, what happened" I asked? My daughter replied, "They kept Bristol, she's terrible!!!!".

how can anyone watch dancing with the stars when jersey shore is on? my condolences to the fish, clams, seaweed, sand, and even the litter that is on the actual jersey shore for mentioning them in the same sentence as the tv show. but, wasn't snookie on letterman or leno recently? maybe a mollusk would have provided a more interesting conversation. oh well, i'm sure it's just that east coast/west coast rivalry talking now. this post is probably rather silly; but, i wanted to get in on the conversation and my mind isn't quite right anyways....so this is what you get. Steve

The second and more drastic solution is to live by yourself. It has its downsides, but it's much quieter and much less stressful. You can come and go as you wish, listen to or watch what you want, when you want. You can even set down an open magazine on a table and find it still there and still open the next day.

Well, that is my option.

I can watch all the Mythbusters, Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch, Ax Men, MegaMahines, How Its Made, Universe, Modern Marvels, Storm Chasers, and Dirty Jobs that I want. Throw in the occasional Steelers or Penguins game, or a movie with plenty of spaceships, stuff getting blown up, or guys swinging big swords and killing off orcs and goblins, and I am all set as far as the TV is concerned. I see these shows like "Kate and 8", or "A Dating Story" when going through the on-screen guide, and I am thinking "who actually watches that crap?". Apparently plenty of folks do, as they keep showing those shows all the time.

I guess I like my independence to much to have bothered getting married.

wasn't snookie on letterman or leno recently? maybe a mollusk would have provided a more interesting conversation.

Hmm, I'm picturing Snookie and a mollusk debating what to look for in a guido... Small cap, since it's a stereotype, not a person.

She's actually got a book coming out. TV Week recently pointed out how amazing it was for a person who's never read a book to be "writing" one. The poor girl gets no respect.

fini: Are you certain the dog's not the only one who's been neutered? [;)] - Glenn

Verna and I tend to agree on which shows we view together in the evenings.

The shows we try to catch together (in no particular order). We DVR just about everything and watch if we get time:

NHL Hockey, MLB Baseball, General Hospital (yes, I've been hooked since back when I was a firefighter), Live with Regis & Kelly (Kelly's easy on the eyes), Desparate Housewives, Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Roads (Trucker Lisa Kelly of IRT is in this show, too), Deadliest Catch, King of Queens (reruns), How I met Your Mother, Friends (Reruns), 2-1/2 Men, Castle, Glenn Beck Show, Survivor, The Big Bang Theory, Medium, Flashpoint, No Ordinary Family, Blue Bloods, S#*! My Dad Says, Hawaii Five-O, The Mentalist, Parenthood, Mike & Molly, Detroit 1-8-7, The Good Wife, The Whole Truth & The Defenders.

Shows Verna watches without me:

Grey's Anatomy, Dexter, Oprah, All My Children, One Life To Live, Private Practice, The Good Guys, House, Monk, Brothers & Sisters, GAC-TV Weekly Top 50 videos and The Doctors.

Unfortunately my wife enjoys watching the Jersey Shore. However, thats grade A quality programming next to her other favorite: The Bad Girls Club. Picture a bunch of girls in a house together trying to figure out how they can be the biggest beeootch. A little piece of me dies inside when that crapfest comes on.

When you see the kind of role models girls and women have, it's no wonder that some of them grow up to have unpleasant personality traits. Apart from shows that glorify nasty behaviour, you have ads that encourage lying, like some deodorant or laundry detergent ads that show how to borrow your friend or daughter's clothes, and after stinking them up or staining them, being able to remove the stink or stain, and then being able to get away with lying about what you did.

Borrowing someone's top without permission is no big deal, it's the legitimizing of lying about it that strikes me as a really bad message for impressionable teens and young adults.

There's also a tooth-whitening ad where the aspiring actress is told by her agent to keep her teeth white for an upcoming audition by avoiding tea, coffee, red wine, and so on. She ignores what's she's told, because the marvelous tooth product makes it all okay, and acts as if she has outsmarted her agent by lying about following her instructions.

I'd like to see good behaviour portrayed as the way to act, instead of trickyness and bitchyness being shown as cool.