Taco bell almost vegetarian

dtel

Right, this is what fast food is.

How about the artist who photographed her open exposed McDonald's meal every morning for a year? Photo 1 and 365 are identical.

I read about that...incredible.

no mold...no nothing.

Interesting story. My grandmother was moved to a nursing home over 9 years ago. My dad had her place cleaned up at that point and turned the power off.....winterized.

In this process.....the refridgerator was cleaned out before the power was cut off. Well....my sisters and I recently went through the house to gather things that we would want for hand-me-downs. I opened the fridge door out of curiousity. I then opened the "butter" compartment that is w/in that little door. Low-and-behold.....ther was a stick of margarine (I assume), that was a full stick on a small butter plate with no wrapper. There was an end cut off with a knife....you could still see the ridges from where the knife had cut. No mold no nothin....looked like brand new. So this is after no refridgeration for 9 years.

We no longer buy margarine.

jc

All hamburgers can be done just like Mcdonalds. Others did it with their homemade hamburgers and other with other store made ones, as long as it can dry out there is no mold or fungus growth.

Didn't go back far in this thread, but my two cents: I've lived in Texas all my life, part of it in El Paso. I love my Mex and Tex Mex and while I have a keen appreciation for the finest I can eat just about anything...except Taco Bell and the like.

About 5 years ago I had the munchies and saw a 5 for a buck or something sign at a Taco Bell. I had not been into one in many years as there are plenty of Mexican roach coaches most of the time with FAR better food. However, I was somewhere that wasn't an option and I thought "Surely, one can't mess up a simple taco."

Bought the bag, and took a bite. One bite. Tasted like Gaines meal with MSG and a bit of comino. I've no idea what they do to their "meat," but grinding up that disgusting little chihuahua they used to use in their ads would be a huge improvement.

Frankly, I could care less how this works out as I won't ever darken their doors again.

Dave

i used to work for a place that delivered supplies all over the bowels of los angeles. my boss took me to this roach coach in a particularly scary part of town. but i quickly learned it was worth the risk. to this day, i've never had a better taco--and FAR cheaper that at the fast food joints. whod've thunk that a roach coach on the side of the road in a gang ridden area would have some of the best food that i've ever eaten. hmmmm, it's only a 40 minute drive away......

i used to work for a place that delivered supplies all over the bowels of los angeles. my boss took me to this roach coach in a particularly scary part of town.

Houston is rotten with them, and all are good to great. I work in an industrial area on the ship channel and there is one about every couple of 100 yards. Some have Thai and Chinese...

Perhaps this is one of the few things spread to CA from TX instead of vice-versa.

Dave

Back in the early '80s before Seinfeld was on, I was doing my Christmas cross country trip from Edmonton to Ontario and back. I would always return through the US at Detroit and go up 90/94 to North Dakota and back into Canada by turning north at Fargo or Minot.

On one trip, it had been an all night and all morning haul, so about lunch time I pulled into some little Minnesota or Wisconsin town and looked for a restaurant.

I found Taco Bill's which resembled a Taco Bell. I went inside - the place was nice & clean but very empty - with no-one behind the counter. Figuring the staff were busy, I went into the men's room. The stalls didn't have doors and in the first stall there was a guy reading a paper. He said hi.

Respecting one's privacy, I went back out to the lobby. A couple of minutes later, the same guy comes out with the paper, goes behind the counter, puts the paper down, says hi again and asks me what I'd like to order. I was face to face with Taco Bill.

Slainte. Hamish

We have a Del Taco here in the Detroit area. We've tried them and prefer Taco Hell as far as fast-Mexican food goes. Our favorite Mexican restaurant is here in Allen Park; Manuel's Taco Hut, a privately-owned restaurant. Of course there are probably a thousand other Mexican restaurants throughout our area that are also good, especially over in Detroit's Mexican Town. But, in putting all of that aside, we still really enjoy just driving though our local Taco Hell and picking up some hard or soft tacos, a Mexican pizza or a Chalupa (what the heck is that?). It doesn't matter much to me what the content percentage breakdown is, as long as it's safe to eat, tastes good to me and doesn't make anyone sick. My favorites are the Volcano Tacos, Mexican Pizza with Lava Sauce added to it, the Steak Baja Chalupas and the beef & cheese Quesadillas. We enjoy their Fire Roasted (Chipotle), Fire & Verde sauces. With me currently being laid off, it's one of the few places we can afford to buy a meal out for a change and I truly believe it tastes better than the cheap burgers at McDonald's or Burger King as we can't really afford the more expensive "3rd Pounders" or "Steakhouse Burgers" very often. Those "higher-end" burgers usually aren't worth what they charge any way. We can go to one of our local corner bars, order a soft drink and get an outstanding 1/2 pound bar burger for only a buck! A huge basket of fries we both share is only another buck.

Of course, there is also the dispute over the contents of the beef in White Castle burgers ("sliders") too, that has been going on for years. Whether it's mostly beef or mostly soy, I really don't care as long as when we buy a sack of them, they taste like we expect them too. The bottom line for us is, if you don't like the taste or content of what you are eating, don't sit there and whine about it, simply don't go there anymore!

And, since we are discussing product content....

Things you'll probably never see on a Bose box: "Contents: 100% Real Speakers", "Produces 100% of all music.", "Affordable". -Glenn [;)]