Japan Earthquake

artto

An update from the source:

My wife is North American operations manager for Japanese manufacturer NSK-Nakanishi. Their manufacturing facilities are located in Kanuma-shi Tochgi, about 300KM/190mi south east from the quake epicenter.

She recieved an email from company CEO and president this morning describing the event. He said they felt a "very, very big shake at our factory.
"Actually I have never experienced such a big quake as this time
in my life." "Fortunately we had no damage at our factory and no
injury among our people."
"all CNC machines at the factory stopped automatically due to the activation of
the shake sensors and it will take one or two days to restore the machines to
the normal condition" "Right after the earthquake, we let our workers go
back to home because some of the workers were so scared to work and also they
were worrying about their family
" "Even now we have still medium-sized earthquake from
time to time".

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 26, 2004 00:58 off west coast northern Sumatra, Indonesia

see 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
3.30 95.87 230,000 9.4 Mw (USGS)
January 12, 2010 21:53 Haiti (14 miles west of Port-au-Prince)

see 2010 Haiti earthquake
18.451 -72.445 316,000 7.0 Mw (HRV, USGS). Worst quake in region in 200 years. Death toll at 316,000, 3rd deadliest on record.

March 11, 2011 05:46 Japan Region

see 2011 Sendai earthquake
38.322 142.369 at least 288 8.9

Mw (USGS) Centred closest to Enoshima, Miyagi, at a depth of 24.4 kilometres. Most damage occurred in Sendai. Damage occurred in Fukushima and Miyagi due to

tsunamis.

The diference in strength 7.0 is 474 kilotons of dynamite (474,000 tons), 8.9 is 336 megatons of dynamite (336,000,000 tons), 9.4 is 1.34 gigatons (1,340,000,000 tons)

America's largest thermal nuclear weapon - 15 megatons (15,000,000 tons) which is a bomb not nuclear icbm cause its too heavy.

i had thought that watching the twin towers fall on 9-11 would be the most horrific thing that i'd ever see; but, watching that tsunami last night surpassed that. we often marvel at the destructive force of nature, than shamefully point fingers of blame at companies or political figures for allowing it to happen. The news helo was following the path of water as it destroyed villages...when it reached this road, i saw people running through the fields. While i'm sitting safely in my living room in southern california, i'm watching people literallly running for their lives. that brings the human perspective to the forefront. i've worked a few plane crashes while in the coast guard--one a major airline. it's very impactful when they find something with some form of identification, and i can then link that to a person that was alive moments before.

Our tsunami sirens began blaring at around 4am here in Eureka, Ca. All local fisherman got their boats out of the harbor and into deep ocean. We are now expecting something in the range of 2 feet to 6 feet tsunami waves over the next 4 hours.

I believe the Pacific is the only ocean with a tsunami warning system. The Indian Ocean nations had got absolutely nowhere with implementing one by the Indonesian disaster in 2006, and I don't believe any progress has been made since.

OK, the Indian Ocean is 3rd world, but how about the ATLANTIC Ocean? I don't think there's anything there, either. Oh, well, it's only the East Coast, so maybe the Republicans are blocking it.

I guess the Pacific Ocean is the one to be near. 100' ASL is wise, apparently all that's needed. SL resorts are another story, sadly.

Warning time was very short in Japan because the epicenter was right off the coast.

Ive seen several broadcasts on BBC news yesterday morning and other news network channels at the pub during the afternoon. The horror of seeing water tons of water washing over Japan after devastating earthquake as tsunami consumes the lives of people and their homes swept away off there foundations as if they were made of wooden models, what a sad loss of life yesterday.[:(]

Its a force of nature something we, can not control nor should we even make any attempts to control it! Its not the natural order of life! When an earthquake strikes get out of the way of it, straight away head for high grounds!

Its a good thing the nuclear reactors shut-down otherwise it would be a total disaster with radiation fall out.

It’s a good thing the nuclear reactors shut-down otherwise it would be a total disaster with radiation fall out.

don't speak too soon. just saw this:

LATEST UPDATE: Japan issues a state of emergency at a second nuclear power plant after its cooling system failed as thousands evacuate from the area near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant with radiation levels surging to 1,000 times their normal levels.

It’s a good thing the nuclear reactors shut-down otherwise it would be a total disaster with radiation fall out.

LATEST UPDATE: Japan issues a state of emergency at a second nuclear power plant after its cooling system failed as thousands evacuate from the area near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant with radiation levels surging to 1,000 times their normal levels.

There in lies the problem..... 1000 times their normal levels is still less than what you will get with a transcontinental flight. The limits imposed on nuclear facilities are less than many buildings. Grand Central Station in New York City would fail if they applied for a nuclear permit because the building emits too much radiation (Granite)

Its a good thing the nuclear reactors shut-down otherwise it would be a total disaster with radiation fall out.

There in lies the problem..... 1000 times their normal levels is still less than what you will get with a transcontinental flight. The limits imposed on nuclear facilities are less than many buildings. Grand Central Station in New York City would fail if they applied for a nuclear permit because the building emits too much radiation (Granite)

How was I to know? Is there a higher power at work here? Havent they already gone though a enough! [:(]

Isnt anyone thinking this Nostradamus 2012 might just come true now? I surely hope not. I have no idea what else is in store maybe California would sink into the ocean after 10.0 on the Richter scale hits lasting 5mins?

Get out of California now why you can save yourselves I have strong gut feeling the BIG ONE IS COMING!

I guess some have seen Earthquake (1974) sensurround where the BIG ONE levels Los Angels! The film depicts it lasting just under 10mins! I thought that was Hollywood nonsense! Till I did a search and found under Answers an earthquake lasting 8mins! STUFF THAT!

The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake was an undersea earthquake that occurred at 00:58:53 UTC December 26, 2004, with an epicentre off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The earthquake triggered a series of devastating tsunamis along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing more than 225,000 people in eleven countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 meters (100 feet). It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in history. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand were hardest hit.

With a magnitude of between 9.1 and 9.3, it is the second largest earthquake ever recorded on a seismograph. This earthquake had the longest duration of faulting ever observed, between 8.3 and 10 minutes. It caused the entire planet to vibrate as much as 1 cm (0.5 inches)[1] and triggered other earthquakes as far away as Alaska.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_an_earthquake_last#ixzz1GNoBe0iQ