RE: Where to retire?

merkin

My wife and I have a week of vacation in may with no plans. She suggested looking at places that we might want to retire too. There are a few stipulations that we have on the area. Needs to have easy and affordable golf, has to have a walking and /or bike paths that are somewhat interesting, has to be south where golf and out door walking can happen year round, inexpensive taxes, easy access to a variety of moderate dinning( don't need fine dining just good eats in comfortable surroundings) lake and or ocean would be nice, some cultural things like movies, shows , concerts. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated since people on this forum are from all over. I'd just like to hear some suggestions and why.

we are planning on retiring in a couple of years, we will be relatively young late fifties and plan on spending late fall winter and early spring there.

Corpus Christi, Texas, area. Big enough for the finer things, excellent climate, and almost nobody has discovered it yet.

Dave

so we just wait out hurricane season then head down there every year? I hadn't thought of it maybe I'll mapquest it and see how far it is from here. Thanks for the idea.

since money is not an object....Huntington Beach, California (except for today--it's raining) and the state really screws us tax wise; but, it's a great place. oh yeah, golfing ain't too cheap either, and i got ran over by a truck while walking across the street; but we have a lot of places to eat.

• Moderators

Nowhere on a fault zone and/or near nuclear power plants, or tornado alley. Hurricanes are bad but at least you get a warning.

Not making fun of Japan but just something to think about. I don't think you can go anywhere where there are no natural disasters ?

I have not been there but hear Austin Tx is nice ?

since money is not an object....Huntington Beach, California (except for today--it's raining) and the state really screws us tax wise; but, it's a great place. oh yeah, golfing ain't too cheap either, and i got ran over by a truck while walking across the street; but we have a lot of places to eat.

Well I didn't say money wass no object. thats why I need inexpensive golf. I spent a week in San Diego once and really loved the La Jolla area but that is a little out of my league. Also the California taxes and the whole left coast attitude kind of puts me off. Beutiful place to visit but don't think I would fit in there.

• Moderators

Knoxville/Oakridge/Maryville, Tennessee.

http://www.greatplacestoretire.com/oak-ridge.php

Mild winters with some cold and little snow.

Hot/humid summers mostly, mild in nearby mountains.

Low taxes

Lakes, and more lakes

Good affordable golf.

Bill

That is a really nice area, have gone through there alot, very pretty. good choice. Also North Alabama and Northern Georgia have some really nice areas.

Twinsburg. Ohio.

No Huricanes

No tsunamis

No big earthquakes

Affordable housing

Lots of scenic paths

Lots of golf courses

Lots of old folks homes and condos

No rattlesnakes.

No alligators

No crocodiles

No poisen frogs

Low humidity

Lots of air conditioning

Four distinct seasons

Lake Erie

Small bugs

Lots of hobbies

Water up the you know what

Tax's--as much as anybody

JJK

...has to be south where golf and out door walking can happen year round..

CC [Y]

...inexpensive taxes...

Texas = no state income taxes = more hi-fi gear/year...

Housing is extremely reasonable vis-a-vis left or right coast...

...easy access to a variety of moderate dining (don't need fine dining just good eats in comfortable surroundings)...

Tex-Mex, barbecue, and seafood [Y]

...lake and or ocean would be nice...

[Y] The best, most consistent wind I've ever experienced for sailing...

...some cultural things like...shows, concerts...

...you can always drive to San Antonio or Austin if you can't get it in CC...stay the night and enjoy the sights.

Hurricanes can be an issue, but the trick is to live just a little further back from the beach.

Chris

Okies, in the Corpus Christi area, let's talk a few places I like.

Rockport - I consider it the "the other Rockport where you don't freeze your pazootie off." Very artsy, great food, outstanding music, festivals, and only a few thousand permanent residents. Shielded by a barrier island that's like a huge sea wall. Hardly surge proof, but only the very big ones do much here. Lots of fine old homes to prove it. Probably the highest prices in the area, but that is by Texas standards and your milage may vary.

Victoria - inland about 35 miles and rarely gets any damage from even the big hurricanes. About a 100,000 people, but with things only much larger cities usually have because it's the business center for a large area without bigger metro areas to compete with. Focetti's is the oldest saloon in texas, though I can't recall its exact age. Outstanding draft beer and brats, with German sides. Yum.

Port Lavaca is sort of Victorias port town. Fine old railroad station that was the end of the line way back. 10k pop or so right on Lavaca Bay which is quite pretty, and also behind the barrier island. Very low priced housing. Superb food.

About a half hour past Port Lavaca on the coast road and on the eastern shore of the very shallow Hynes Bay (I like three feet deep a quarter mile from shore) is Seadrift, overgrown village that is extremely arts and crafts driven. We priced an old two story white house right on the bay near downtown about 15 years ago at 250k. Rather doubt anything like that around now, but still a bargain.

Across from Seadrift on the other side of the bay is the very biggest secret on the Texas coast if complete isolation, low costs, zero crime and QUIET is what you want. Austwell, which I refer to as "Lostwell," as it is over 7 miles off the coast road (35) and has maybe 200 souls on about 6 by 8 streets. This town sits on a bluff over the bay that is at least 25 feet high and no surge has entered it in living memory. Houses are dirt cheap WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE...which is when one of the few locals left dies or one of those who've retire there decides it's just too quiet.

Sheesh, there is more. I'd recommend starting at Galveston and simply hugging the coast. Almost ANYBODY is going to find something to love on that 600 miles of coastline.

BTW, the HEB at Rockport may be the finest grocery store on the planet...but that is another story.

Dave

Knoxville/Oakridge/Maryville, Tennessee.

http://www.greatplacestoretire.com/oak-ridge.php

Mild winters with some cold and little snow.

Hot/humid summers mostly, mild in nearby mountains.

Low taxes

Lakes, and more lakes

Good affordable golf.

Bill

That is a really nice area, have gone through there alot, very pretty. good choice. Also North Alabama and Northern Georgia have some really nice areas.

Then you could visit coytee and listen to his "plug uglies"...

It seems like a lot of you are pushing the Corpus Cristi area. Maybe we should take a week and cruise the coast there and see what we think of it. It sounds nice. I've have also seen some brochures about that area of Tennesee also and have driven through there before.

I'm sorry I don't think Harlem will work. Heck Clinton is even leaving there and moving his office to wall street. I think he ran out of young "stuff" there and needs to move on to better hunting grounds.

Even if you don't find "home," a couple of weeks driving down the Texas coast aimlessly will be rewarding. Stop and speak to the locals, enjoy the open country. And have a Shiner. Texas is from the word "Tejas," meaning "friends."

Dave

Even if you don't find "home," a couple of weeks driving down the Texas coast aimlessly will be rewarding. Stop and speak to the locals, enjoy the open country. And have a Shiner. Texas is from the word "Tejas," meaning "friends."

Dave

I'll come down someday and have a Shiner with you. Because, we both remember Shiner, before it became Shiner Bock... lol...