What are the best bluray movies ??

larbo13

Watched the last air bender tonight. Pretty good sound for a family film.

I actually heard that move was horrible. What is your opinion?

I watched that with with the family as well and we all enjoyed it. I wathched TRON again and the sound on that movie is pretty darn good. Image as well.

Watched the last air bender tonight. Pretty good sound for a family film.

I actually heard that move was horrible. What is your opinion?

Reposted from above:I too heard it was awful and had no plans to watch it, but I was pleased! Now, I do have a toddler that watches Disney and Nick on TV, so my expectations were that it would be in that type of children's entertainment. We had the night together, just the two of us, so we sat down and watched and had a grand time. Probably not a movie I would recommend you go out and buy nor one you plan your evening around, but this was free on EPIX HD with 5.1 DTS. The sound of the wind swirling around and water crashing during the "bending" scenes was done quite well! Also some decent LFE.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Gladiator a couple years ago when it first came out on bluray since it is one of my favorite movies. The video was horrible. Massive DNR and an overal cold and uninviting transfer. Well, Paramount remastered it and allowed people who bought the DNR version to mail it in and get the remastered version. Well, I got my remastered version on Friday and what a difference. You can see so much more detail in everything. You can see a hint of film grain and I love it. I don't understand DNR. Movies always look like crap when they use DNR. A little film grain never hurt anybody. The movie also has pretty good audio too. The music sounds great.

I rented gladiator from redbox and when i saw the disc was the old version i would not even put it in my blu-ray player. That deserves a good viewing once my home theater is done. Maybe even wait for a few years from now when i get a projector. I am a big Spartacus fan and watched the whole series in SD through netflix streaming. I bet blu-ray is astounding. If anyone has not seen the series go watch it now! Make sure to watch atleast 2-3 episodes because the first one is a little misleading

Watched the book of Eli , Very good sound in that movie, and a pretty good movie as well.

I also thought Book Of Eli was great. Not only was the sound good but the cinematography was top notch. All in all it's one of my fav's in recent times. I don't buy many movies but Eli was one I had to own.

I dont think i could watch Avatar or book of eli again, although they were both awesome movies i just got bored with them after the second viewing. I have a recommendation for a movie i remember i loved but it is sort of a niche movie. It is called "Triangle" and it has an awesome story (some may not like it) and the sound is really good too. Someone please give it a shot

Well blu-ray has 1080p at 24hz. Also it has the higher high definition codecs. At $4 a pop you might as well start a netflix account with blu-ray access. Plus then you will get streaming videos there. They wont have the movie you want streaming but they have a huge selection, about 1/3 of which is in HD. A few selections are in 5.1 surround. I use redbox for blu-rays quite often

I think Netflix is the plan, but my folks have it and they watch the same movies I watch about 2 months after I've seen them. Our cable company gets 90% of the OD HD movies at the same time or before the Blu-Ray release, so I do enjoy that option. I'm not planning on putting another HC cable box downstairs, so I assume I will be doing Netflix soon...espesically for re-watching great movies in the HT!

• 3 weeks later...

I have Master and Commander on standard DVD, and thought the sound was good, but never blew me away. Since I saw all the glowing reviews on here, I got the blu ray from Netflix and watched last night. Holy cow, what a difference. I felt like I was on the ship, it was very cool. I think I'm ruined for standard dvd for any action type movie.

• Moderators

I have Master and Commander on standard DVD, and thought the sound was good, but never blew me away.

I own the Bluray and haven't yet watched the entire movie. I've just popped it in looking for some demo material but I don't see the hype. Maybe I just need to sit down one evening and watch the entire movie to see if my opinion changes.

I don't know if these have been mentioned yet but I have been using these to demo my new setup because they sound awesome!

Cloverfield - really gets the sub working

2012 - crap movie but sound effects are very good

Blindness - just a great audio production, great atmosphere

Red Hill

Watched TRON on BluRay last night at about -9 from reference and it was phenomenal. Best audio track to date. Amazing surround sound and tons of LFE from start to finish. This movie is a nonstop workout for your HT. Better make sure your sub level is set properly or it will scream in pain if you have it dialed in HOT at all. I really can't say enough about the soundrack of this film. The movie was also enjoyable. FUN FUN FUN.

Yes, Tron is out of this world! The best soundtrack I've heard so far. The LFE is insane once the kid enters the Grid.