Hasn't it gone quiet in here recently....

maxg

You would think that we have all gone out and bought our tube amps or something!!

What gives guys? Is everyone asleep? Listening to their systems? On holiday?

Come to that it has been weeks since I have seen Mobile on here too.

A few weeks ago it was almost impossible to keep up with the volume of posts - now it is barely a trickle.

Dont tell me everyone has now got their perfect sound?

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Max, you're correct in your observation ... it has gotten a bit quiet. I think the emotional content got a bit too much for a few folks. Cooling off time was required ...

OTOH, many of us are off enjoying our tubes, for sure!

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Well, I don't know about you...but I have been kept pretty doggone busy ever since I entered this forum a week or so ago...mostly answering alot of questions...which I don't mind at all...and having the time of my online life in this learning environment...but, somebody chip in here, please....LOL!

Max:

Yea, I felt that also. I couldn't wait to get home and see what was new in the 2 Channel forum. It certainly has slowed down, but as you say, most of us are probably enjoying our new toys.

I am now enjoying my new tube setup.

In the past 5 months, I have gone from my Fisher 500c, (swtill have) to a pair of Monarchy SM-70 monoblocks (sold) to my current Wright Sound 2A3 monoblocks. I also went from the Monarchy 33 DAC preamp (sold) to my current AMC Tube preamp, and added a Jolida 602a Tube CD player.

I have already rolled the tubes in the AMC and Jolida. (I had a bad 12AX7 in the AMC anyway). (Thanks for the help Jazman!!!)

So now, I am in the "burning in" phase.

The sound with the Wrights is much richer, bigger soundstage and detail. (I do miss the power of the Monarchys though)

Next upgrade will probably be a new preamp. Something with more detail and hopefully a remote. The AMC is OK though, and as a plus, it does have a phono stage.

eanwhile, I am starting to work on cleaning all my vinyl, and getting my Thorens TD-165 set up correctly.

I know Mobile had to many other projects going on to continue his postings here. He has also stopped, (for the most part) on the AA board too. I'm sure he checks in and reads once in a while though.

Mike

Max,

You may be short on sleep, but shouldn't be short on excitement with the new addition to your household!

Interconnects were one of the items in my system awaiting more dollars, so it's taken some time to save the cash and do research. I recently added a new pair of interconnects between my Moondogs and Cary preamp. I did not post this in the Forum because the wire debate gets much too heated, especially for those who don't believe there is a difference between types or brands, and I believe it matters. I know the quality of cable makes a difference when wiring computer networks, and for me it applies to stereo also.

(Please, this is NOT fuel for a wire debate!)

I added a pair of Hyacinth, Solid Silver Air-Litz Interconnects, made by Silver Audio. They are pricey, but make such an audible difference over the generic interconnects I've been using. The one word would be, WOW! The audio stores owner where I purchased them gauranteed they would really make a difference in a SET system, and he was correct. The major improvement was in the soundstage and instrument definition of everything switched through the Cary. Analog and digital input signals sources improved. I had been very "on the fence" with my Rega CD player vs my Tjoeb99. Adding the Hyacinth interconnects has now really put the Rega as my first choice of CD source. Music and frequency response that seemed to be missing or dull on the Rega when compared to the Tjoeb99 in the past, are now present even though I had decent interconnect for the CDP to pre. I'm glad I didn't just sell it off when it seemed to under-perform. The person who built my Moondogs used silver wiring for better conductivity. Reading posts in the Set Asylum seemed to favor solid silver wire for speaker interconnects, and Audioquest's best interconnects use solid silver wire also. It will be quite a while before I can consider solid silver lengths of speaker interconnects so my Audioquest Bedrock speaker cables will have to suffice until then.

I'm still waiting on my new VPI Aries Scout turntable, still deciding which MC cartridge to go with, which hotrod package to use with my Rega RB300 tonearm when mounting it on the VPI, or whether to leave it stock and buy a better arm later. With luck, maybe I'll complete all tweaks, upgrades, & improvements by the end of the year.

A fellow local Forum member(Jobman\Mike B)and I had the oppotunity for him to come by for a visit, swill some freshly brewed beer from the local brewpub, and listen to my 2 channel system. It's always nice to talk audio with a fellow Klipscher. Now if I can just get my hands on his Khorns.........................

That's about it for my system. I don't usually endorse equipment, but for anyone not completely set on interconnects between their amps and preamp, the connects from Silver Audio are KILLER and "worthy" of consideration.

Klipsch out.

PS. Max, I still envy your access to those cheap vinyl prices. Do they have an online catalogue? I'd love to get my hands on some Jazz titles.

This message has been edited by jazman on 04-23-2002 at 03:32 PM

I agree it has gotten pretty quiet around here these day's. In fact I was chatting on the phone the other day with MDeneen and told him it was pretty dead here. I thounght it was just spring fever myself. I know its been a long winter here in Michigan and its finally over !! So I've been wearing myself out enjoying the weather.

Also I have acquired 4 new tubes amps lately that I will restore and of coarse keep you all updated on them. I bought 2 Scott 99D mono intergrated's that utilize the 6L6 output tubes they both work and sound good but need some work for safe operation. I also bought a Knight 935 intergrated that uses 6BM8's its alright but not top of the line by no means. But also will get some updates and upgrades as soon as a find a schematic. Finally I scored a Scott LK-72 that uses 7591 outputs. I've been trying to get one of these for months at a reasonable price and finally did this unit is going to get the complete Mod job and most likely become my main Amp until I score some vintage Mono Blocks and a nice preamp.

I scored some salvation army jewels earlier today. I picked up a JVC Turn Table Model JL-F50. What a score this looks to be a top of the line Professional Turn table real nice tone arm. Hell the whole thing was like brand new and even had the original box and manual. I paid the whopping price of ....... 24.99 LOL !!!!!!

I also picked up a Tape deck in its original box no manual. Its a Sankyo STD-1650 ?? Anyone know anything about it ?? It works great and sounds okay I guess.

Well that's what's up with me ...

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

my tubes are better than your tubescwm35.gif

i just scored some Siemans EL-34's for my Super Amp -- I also have some 6DJ8 Amperex Orange Globes on the way for the drivers and some nifty 6CG7 RCA Cleartops coming to replace the GE's as the current source

i then splurged, and also have an additional 6 Amperex Orange Globes on the way for my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp -- no more Sovteks!

then, to top it all off and completely finish my system upgrades for the next 10 years (yea, right), i sold both my Anthem CD-1 and my LF-10 sub and replaced them with a Sony DVPS9000es and the SVS 20-39 PCi - which should be shipping next week

you can read my review on the Sony 9000es here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/70488.html

I'm done -- you can stick a fork in me -- i am out of money, broke -- but my wife still loves mecwm12.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>c>Super Ampf>s>c>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony DVP-S9000ES

Klipsch RF7f>s>c>'s

SVS 20-39PCf>s>c>ic>

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>c>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-23-2002 at 10:56 PM

Well isn't it nice to see how well people are progressing with their systems. If the communications on here are anything to go by I expect Sony, Yamaha, Denon et. al will be re-introducing tube amps to their line up pretty soon .Biggrin.gif

As for me - there is no change in my basic hardware - the last few weeks have been all about building myself a semi-decent vinyl collection (now 220 records or so).

Yesterday I spent about $400 on some audiophile titles (around 25 or them) - so it looks like I am drifting away from the bargain basement items.

Some of these date back to the 1950's and are original MONO RCA recrodings of classical works (typical stuff - Beethoven Emperor and Pastorale, Rachman's 2nd etc. etc.)

I did manage to get Dvorak's 9th in stereo (woohoo!! - that is what I call multi-channel - more than one!!) and amazingly I got hold of a Sonny Rollins also in stereo.

Anyway I am now planning to slow down a little on the vinyl. There are so many I have not listened to yet!!

Will keep you all posted - to date my best recording is still a direct to disk version of Wild Child Butler - which is staggering.

Dean-Let us know how the Amperex DJ8's work out. If your getting some a bit more noise than you would like and have another CD1 to dumpcwm20.gif, you may want to try a pair of 7308(E188CC)Teles or Siemens. Your 34's ARE better than mine...I have nonecwm36.gif. BTW, I'm curious to know what your impression of the CD1 was and what tubes did you roll into it when you owned it??

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 04-24-2002 at 05:53 AM

Max,

"Well isn't it nice to see how well people are progressing with their systems. If the communications on here are anything to go by I expect Sony, Yamaha, Denon et. al will be re-introducing tube amps to their line up pretty soon ."

Well taken.

Just to re-ask a question I've asked before ... For HT systems (5.1/6.1/7.1), is SS still our only option? I'm using my Denon as a sound processor/pre-amp to my Anthems for driving the front/rear channels, but it still sounds like SS due to the SS pre-amp.

Am I making any sense?

Would be great to have an end-to-end tube solution for HT. My 2-ch system is all-tube and the difference is audible (of course it's through Khorns which is a PhD in "duh", but you get my drift).

Chris,

I have been thinking the same thing about HT. I have enough tube amps now that I could power all my channels with tubes. But no matter what you do I think its going to be impossible to get away from SS preamp you have to have a SS digital processor no matter what because all surround source material is done in DD or DTS. I'd try it but my Sony receiver doesn't have preouts. I really don't think there's much to gain in movies anyway's but multi channel music might really benefit from this I know Eagle Bat out of hell is a toss up for me. It sounds about as good with the Sony or the tube amp just in different way's. Not really a fair comparision 5.1 to 2 channel. I bet the Electric company would love Tube surround to sky rocket in popularity could you amagine the power usage and heat generated from 6 channels of tubes Whew !!!!!

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I saw an ad recently for a 5 channel pre-amp that was tube based - I will search it out if I can.

As an alternative you could run 5 monoblocks connected to 3 tube pre-amps and use the internal decoder on the player (if it has one).

This is essentially what I am doing now but I only run 2 pre-amps (no centre channel - not essential for music IMHO) and the sub running from the mains connected at speaker level (bypassing the bass management which again I consider non-essential for music).

This allows for the "all tube sound" in surround sound although in my case the rear amp is solid state simply because that is what I had to hand.

I play all music going to my Klipschorns through a Dynaco PAS-4 tube preamp (LP and CD stereo and SACD stereo and multichannel)then to the direct inputs of my Outlaw 1050.

This gives me the tube sound I desire for music (an additional tube preamp for the center channel on SACDs would be desirable since a lot of vocals are directed there. I don't think the surrounds are that critical.

DVDs and video tape output goes through the preamp of the 1050 which works just fine for movies. Remember DVD video sound has limitations.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Allen,

Good to hear someone else is using the Silver Audio interconnects. Using the Hyacinth was one of those "revealing" moments when you know you've added something that makes a difference. BTW, do you use the Hyacinth for all interconnects between components or just amp and preamp. I have been undecided whether to replace my CDP to pre interconnect with the Silver Bullet 4.0 or another pair of Hyacinth. What do you rec.? Thanks for the heads up on the Silver Breeze even though it will take a few more months, I know they will be worth the wait. First I have to get my new VPI Aries Scout TT in the house, THEN decide if I should keep my RB300 arm or move to a better tonearm. Once the tonearm is no longer a question mark, I'll get the Silver Breeze tone arm leads.

Klipsch out.

I've been missing the 2 ch posts also. I'll take the time to thank you guys here for sparking my interest in tubes. I'd been interested in getting a 2 ch system up. Wanted to do something more than my 1980 Heresys and 20 yr old Sony 50w/ch VFET amp/preamp I have stored away. Finally after searching area newspaper classifieds for weeks, I found some LaScala's. Vintage 1980 w/AA xovers. VERY good condition and one owner. The guy is about 60 yrs old and retiring to a smaller lake home and didn't have room. Got em for $650. Great deal on lacquer finished birch w/grills. These sound great and got to reading all the flap about tubes here and started looking. I found a Scott 299C amp and 350B tuner from a guy who's father had bought them new in '63. The guy's Dad passed away 6 months ago and he got them. Seems he was a bit skittish of the tube gear and decided to UPGRADE??? to a SS Marantz 1050 from mid 70's. I bought them for a very reasonable price and had him send them directly to a guy many of you surely already know (Ryan Inman) for restoration. He's very respected on the HH Scott forum and has been awesome to work with online, Really honest and informative, as well as, a great deal on quality workmanship. I will be receiving my new additions soon and will post an update on how they sound. I'll be taking my 25 yr old Luxman turntable with vintage AudioTechnica Signet cartridge back out of retirement. Thanks again for your interesting posts here. I think I'm hooked and I don't even have the Scotties yet. P.S. Ryan Inman's email for anyone needing restoration on H.H. Scott products from late 40's to mid 60's vintage is ryancinman@aol.com

Thanks, Gary

• Like 1