Purchase of Klipsch Belle or not?

pcarson

All, I need a bit of advice. I have a line on a pair of non-working Klipsch Belle's which I would have to purchase sight unseen. Sight unseen due to distance, lack of time and will have to have them shipped by courier (Size matters and I have no vehicle to move these). The seller has stated that the crossovers are gone, need to be replaced and the speakers have been sitting in a damp garage for the past four years since then untouched. Therefore I have to assume that everything needs to be replaced. Apparently veneered, but unknown with what....and they are as scruffy described as look in photos. The serial numbers are illegible. The seller knows nothing about the speakers except what her ex told her and thats about it. Is it worth the plunge for $500 bucks plus another $300 for shipping? I know the answer, which is "roll the dice" and "fortune favors the brave", but I suppose I'm looking for support.

These would go with my McIntosh MA6100....

Any Words?

Welcome, I would say not worth the chance. Non working could mean most anything. $800 for the cabinets, $300-600 for crossovers plus drivers if needed. You'd have close to $1500- 2000 into 'scruffy' Belles.

I love me some Belles and I will end up with approx $5k in a pair (horns, xovers, drivers and veneer work) that I originally bought for $400 but I think for $2000 you could get a very nice pair of Belles.

Where are you located?

I wouldn't gamble my money on a the deal you describing. For that price, $800, you can get a nice pair of working La Scalas. It took many years for me to locate locally (locally being within sane driving distance) my K-horns and La Scalas. I would pass on this "deal" and be patient. Good luck!

I'd probalby pass too. For my way of thinking, I don't care as much about a blown driver nor crossover issue...(as long as properly disclosed).

I would put a much higher priority on the cabinet being intact and the prettier the better.

Analogy: Would you rather buy a car that works but has rust all over the wheel wells or, buy the same car that has a perfect chassis but a blown engine?

I'd contend the blown engine will cost less in the long run to fix and you'd end up with a nicer car in the end.

Have you even seen pictures of these? In today's age, having no picture available would be a major red flag to me (not saying they are not making them available, just giving my viewpoint)

Where am I located?...Ah, well that is the kicker. I'm an American living overseas and the availability of Klipsch speakers is nil. Unheard of....I sold my Heresy's 10 years ago and "upgraded" to a Klipsch surround-sound solution that after a few years I ripped out and went back to a two-channel solution....I hated it...but the only thing I could find were some JBL-L80T's, which are nice, but the McIntosh wants more. I miss the Klipsch sound and have been looking and looking for LaScala's, Cornwall's, etc...and in the past three years, these are the ONLY big/heritage type K's that I've gotten a line on. Tis why I'm overly tempted.

I'd make an offer of $100 given the facts and circumstances you described, and see if the owner will just simply get rid of them (never hurts to ask), I "latched on to a pair of Belles for ~$700 that I still need to veneer, but what the hey, they were intact, worked fine, etc. Even in their "spray can painted flat black" state, they are worth that much.

On the other hand...... Look for a pair of Cornwalls as they would be far cheaper to fully restore, etc.

Good luck in the "quest"!!

[H]

I love my Belle's, I bought them last March after reading about them on this forum

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/131710.aspx?PageIndex=1

Take a look at the photos on photobucket, the link is posted near the bottom from the link above.

So the bottom line is I went to meet with Vin at his house about an hour away. The speakers were playing as I arrived

facing out of the garage and flooding a couple of acres with "Twist and Shout". Everything worked and they had some cosmetic issues.

The bottom line is

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/131914/1336201.aspx#1336201

If you buy them you are buying blind, if you cant get decent photos then it's a gamble againt moisture I think.

post-42841-13819641546998_thumb.jpg

I have to say that it's the moisture that worries me the most. I own a farm here and KNOW the issues involved. I had a nice Carver CM-1090 that I kept in the barn and it lasted about three years before it crapped. I sent it back to the US for servicing and it worked for another year before it failed again. It's the ribbon cables inside the amp that went bad. I have 10 acres of land and WANT to hear the music from every corner of it..but have realized that I need to have a climate-controlled environment for my kit. The barn is where it all happens...open the big doors up and let her rip. The McIntosh lives inside the house and makes the trip to the barn to power up the system when its nice outside....but I also have an old Rotel that stands-in when I'm too lazy to do that. My plan is to build a stud-wall enclosure with a low-powered heater just to keep the barn hi-fi kit warm and dry....and if I purchase these Belle's, I will build that before touching them. It only makes sense. My JBL L-80T's have suffered as well in the barn....the veneer has started separating from the ply after 8 years....I did everything I could to protect them, but the moisture beats me every time. So...

Have someone in the area check them out for you. Sounds pretty bad and costly. But you never know who had belle parts laying around with no cab.

Well it would be a gamble!

A few questions. How handy are you and does your schedule allow time for a "project"? On the crossovers, are they in need of repair or are they actually missing (is there an inductor and autoformer that can be cleaned up)? If you were to buy replacement parts from BEC or whoever, would you get killed on VAT taxes and duties etc?. Is the cabinet sound enough to be re-veneered or is the bottom shot from sitting in a pool of water? How important are details such as OEM grill cloth and badges?

If you start adding up the prices, this project could sky rocket. It is not clear whether the re-sale price (if you ever decide to ....) would recover the costs.

Hmm, you might be edging into the price range of a Jubilee. I am being serious and they are imported to England, Germany, Canada.

The serial numbers are illegible.

I believe the serial numbers are also stamped into the top piece on the back of the speaker - and that will tell you the year of manufacture and the veneer type.

Well, if you are in the U.K.. Australia, or New Zealand, then this may actually be a good deal (due to import duties). If in Canada, then maybe not. Parts can be had for a reasonable cost - and I'd recommend replacing the crossovers with something from ALK Engineering (universal, etc., or make them yourself from his online plans) if you want to use your McIntosh amp in conventional mode. I'd actually recommend an active crossover and tri-amping if you want to get even more out of them, but that's another subject...

Replacement Klipsch woofers might be available on ebay - but Klipsch can also supply them (albeit at a higher price). The tweeters are probably okay, but I'd recommend replacing with Bob Crite's CT tweeters. The midrange drivers are typically found on ebay or, again, from Klipsch. They may be in good shape.

These are nice-sounding speakers- I must say. I'm tri-amping my center Belle downstairs between my Jubs via an ElectroVoice Dx38 active crossover and using Crown D-75A professional monitor amps to drive them (modified for increase slew rate). Upstairs, I'm using its twin brother between two Khorns in conventional passive crossover mode.

If looks aren't as important to you, then this may be the least expensive way to get into Belles. The real risk: the cabinets are too beat up to salvage/refurbish. Everything else is replaceable at "reasonable cost", i.e., probably less overall than $1400 (US).

Chris

Is say, $1,000 really your budget or are you thinking that because of a perceived value?

If it's your budget then I'd suggest opening up to some LaScalas as well. I would not want my pretty Belle's playing out to the farm (I happen to live on a farm as well). I would not mind LaScalas doing the it though.

I view Belle's as more attractive & less 'industrial' (if you will pardon my word choice) than the LaScala. You might also keep in mind other options, especially if your budget is larger than inferred above.

1. Buy some cinema speakers. I know of some MWM cabinets that would fill your farm with some nice sound. You would however, need to acquire more parts for the HF section and of course, it would be a MAJOR pain to ship something that large.

2. Buy some NEW cinema from Klipsch. Expensive too but, you can get them shipped to your door, depending of course, on where your door is located.

3. Build some LaScalas yourself, or have it done and buy the critical parts & have them shipped (a JubeScala thought arises here)

4. Buy some headphones and pretend [:D]

Coytee, Really no budget per se, just after the sound and power without chasing a bad dream that becomes a nightmare. My first choice would be LaScalas...just thin on the ground here and I get the diff b/t the LS and Belle's. I remember the first time I ever saw/heard the LS...1986, in the USAF...at RAF Lakenheath. Wow. Have never heard a set of Belle's, but I know that they wouldn't disappoint.

I've thought about the self-build many times in the last few days. I have a woodshop that can cut it (so to speak)...and I have the skills to do so. It could actually be the answer...I can build the cabinets and order the hardware in... I've rebuilt (ok, re-capped) a number of amps and rebuilt speaker crossovers as well (soldering/desoldering stations are worth their money), so I'm not intimidated by either refurbishing or actually building. Just trying to figure out the balance that makes the most sense. If I do pass on these Belle's, I WILL build some LS's myself....and I have to admit, previously....I didn't think it was possible...until I discovered this site a few days ago and found the plans and parts available.

If I do pass on these Belle's, I WILL build some LS's myself....and I have to admit, previously....I didn't think it was possible...until I discovered this site a few days ago and found the plans and parts available.

No buget per se'? Good... then listen closely Grasshoppah.... [:D]

If you want to stay in the size/range of a LaScala, build yourself a couple of stout bass bins (1" sidewalls kind of thing) Depending on your budget or asthetics concerns, then look into buying a pair of Klipsch K402 horns (the huge ones) or the smaller K510 horns if you want them to fit inside the tophat.

Nab an EV Dx38 active crossover off Ebay for under $700

Have someone email you the paramaters for your new JubeScalas and on every anniversary after you first hear them, think of us on the forum as you continue to hurt your face muscles from smiling so dam much!

If you are after sound first, that's what I'd do.