My jubilee setup

bracurrie

This may not be the best setup but it works for me.

Tony Ham - Jubilee Cabs with Bob Crites drivers.

Tony Ham - Tractrix wooden horns with JBL 2435 drivers (towels on top of bass cabs help)

AR SP-6 Pre -

DBX Driverack PA+ -

Adcom GFA 535L for tweeters 535 for bass cabs

Sunfire True Subwoofer

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe Bob has woofers for the Jubilee cabs. There are readily available drivers that will work, though.

I'll also show my ignorance and ask...who is Tony Ham?

He offers those 12" for the Heresies, I don't know if they will work but i guess its worth a try.

sounds like fun any way.

I don't believe Bob has woofers for the Jubilee cabs. There are readily available drivers that will work, though.

BEC does have some woofers that he feels will work. Unfortunately there are not many alternative drivers out there. The Pioneer's that JC used in his original build are no longer available. Those had a good match on the T/S specs and were also dirt cheap.

I am curious whether the drivers used were close or identical to what was called for. Otherwise some adjustments (if possible) would need to be made to the throat size and back volume. Whether they had sufficient bandwidth is another issue.

With some of the Jub-clone cabinets made using alternative drivers, those adjustments were not made. The builder(s) may have been ignorant of the issues or simply tried to "do it by ear". I hope that is not the case here.

I spoke with Bob and he enthusiastically recommended his woofers that would replace the original Klipsch K-22 or K-24 or K-31 woofers. I believe he has a set of Jubilee clone cabs he is playing with. He recommended some settings but as he had not finished his testing he was unsure just how to guide me. I forget what horn recommendation he made but I believe it was the same as his Cornscala.

Tony Ham built the cabinets. He has been building them for years and has many Hope contacts. Lives in OK now.
His builds are not cheap but he will dress them up.

BEC does have some woofers that he feels will work. Unfortunately there are not many alternative drivers out there. The Pioneer's that JC used in his original build are no longer available. Those had a good match on the T/S specs and were also dirt cheap.

I am curious whether the drivers used were close or identical to what was called for. Otherwise some adjustments (if possible) would need to be made to the throat size and back volume. Whether they had sufficient bandwidth is another issue.

With some of the Jub-clone cabinets made using alternative drivers, those adjustments were not made. The builder(s) may have been ignorant of the issues or simply tried to "do it by ear". I hope that is not the case here.

That makes me nervous, but the results are very pleasing. What are the drivers that Klipsch makes for Jubilees?

"...

That makes me nervous, but the results are very pleasing. What are the drivers that Klipsch makes for Jubilees?

...."

The woofers in the Jubilee are the K-31's. These were also used in the KLF-30 cabinets.

IMO, if BEC said his driver was appropriate or close to the K-31, I would trust his word. But you may want to find out if his recommendation also included any adjustments on the cabinet's back volume or throat size.

I am curious as to your choice of the HF driver and horn. Could you tell us about the horn's design and what your strategy was in choosing them? For instance, are there any data on their efficiency and how well they control dispersion, or how the crossover is set up?

Good luck,

-Tom

How do they sound? Show us some pics?

Please see photos in thread.

They
sound amazing after I used the features of the DBX Driverack to setup the
crossover, biamp levels and used the EQ auto level feature to make corrections.
Everything from jazz acoustic bass to Pink Floyd and modern dance synth is
clean tight and powerful. I can hear subtleties of bass lines at lower volumes
that I used to only hear at near performance levels. Some of the correction
does indicate either a room problem or speaker problem as three bands from 125
to 225 are attenuated 6db. I'll figure that out later when I can try this setup
either outdoors or in an auditorium with good acoustics.

I am crossing over (if I am using the vernacular properly) at 600
hz with a 12db slope on both ends. This seems to be working fine as the male
vocals sound perfect.

The
JBL 2435 drivers are really accurate, but so efficient I am attenuating them 12
db before EQ. Elevating the horns worked
wonders and the towels on top of the cabs fixed some nasty reflection problems
that was causing the high end to sound somewhat distorted.

This
is my first pass on using a subwoofer.
My 16 yr old son made the suggestion and he may be onto something. Any ideas on subwoofer crossover points,
levels and placement?

Golly, it may be quite a stretch to call those Jubilees. While they may sound good, they are certainly very different from Jubilees.

You have a knock-off, home-made bass bin vs the Jubilee engineered bass bin. Not the same.

You have Crites woofers vs the K-31's. Not the same.

You have JBL hf drivers vs the K/69. Not the same.

You have a home-made wooden tractrix flare hf horn vs an engineered K402 (or K-510). Not the same.

I don't, for a second, suggest that your speakers don't sound good. All your components may be quite good in and of themselves. It's just that the system is not a Jubilee.

If we put a Chevy body on a Ford chassis with a Chrysler engine and a Honda interior (all good components), we are not driving a Mercedes.

Comments? Suggestions?

1) I'd try removing the wheels from under the lf (bass) bins.

2) I'd also try moving the hf horns down to the top of the lf bins.

3) I'd toe-in your lf/hf horns to aim at your listening position (i.e., keeping each hf and lf horn aimed together in the same direction).

Then I'd listen again...

Additionally, I'd think about placing something on the outside of the speakers to act as false corners: these type of speakers like to be in corners and it will significantly extend the lf performance of the bass bins.

I believe that your dbx DriveRack will allow you to dial-in some delay on your hf horns: are you using delay, and if so, what value (milliseconds or microseconds) are you using?

Chris

This is my first pass on using a subwoofer

I was going to make a wise (smart a**) comment about noticing the sub between the two and then I read this...so it's actually in use?

I don't know anything about that sub and not much about them in general however, I've got to wonder if it even begins to be able to keep up with these things?

Have you seen the size of some of the subs associated with the Jubilees?? I don't have one (any sub at all) so I'm in no place to give solid advice...I would just wonder if that one is really up to the task with output and furthermore, would the output that it does have, be up to the quality of sound of your bass bins?

How did you mount the horns on the wall? At first I thought that was an illusion.

They look nice! Even if they are not real!

Bob Crites said his driver measured the same as the k31 in this lf bin.

You might look into putting them in corners if available for better response and imaging.

Setting the top horns on the lf bins. I'm not sure how the high horns change the sound.

As far as a subwoofer goes you'll need a powerful one or two depending on placement.

There are some nice sounding DIY subwoofer plans out there that are not too hard to build.

Also this is a great bass bin for playing around with.

Try not to be put off by some of the negative comments you will hear for some poeple here about you're clones[:)]

Golly, it may be quite a stretch to call those Jubilees. While they may sound good, they are certainly very different from Jubilees.

If we put a Chevy body on a Ford chassis with a Chrysler engine and a Honda interior (all good components), we are not driving a Mercedes.

bhendrix,

Yes you are correct. Please forgive me I should have labeled the post according to the fact these speakers are clones. However, I am told these cabs are identical as to the wood/dimensions and I believe the bottom end result is probably very close.

I just wish:that factory jubs were available in something other than black then that would be an option.

Why does the factory spec a three way jubilee?

What are the recommended crossover specs?

I have learned so much more about Klipsch and jubilees because of the path I have chosen.

Please also understand I am now the proud owner of some very nice Heresy Is and a set of Forte IIs so I don't feel as guilty of playing in this sandbox.

I am a thirty year fan and former owner of many Mercedes Benz vehicles your rebuke hits a sore spot as I always felt staying original except for tune tweaks was important.