Is Decatur, Georgia a decent place???

Michael, I know you are looking for specifics and I don't have any stats to share just my own personal preference.

If I have any choice in the matter, I will not move back to Atlanta. Crime is horrible, traffic is worse than horrible, massive local government corruption and those are the positives. I still own a home in Dallas, GA (west of ATL), the wife loves the house and thinks we are going to retire there.....nope no way.

On the other hand, if the job is a deal you can't turn down then I recommend that you get in touch with local forum members, pick a suburb you'd live in and then spend a few days driving the commute. Just don't leave anything valuable visible, lock everything every time all the time, beware the carjackers and be sure you are carrying.

One of my older brothers is in the process of moving away from Atlanta also. He's had enough after almost 30 years. Decatur is naturally much smaller but is still considered "deep south" to me. Again, it's all about perspective when you compare it to where you are now.

Having lived in many places including georgia. I really want to move back to the south. I did not like atl though... I want to get to Nashville or lexington... I would rather live in Georgia or even outside of atl rather than where I'm at now... It's worth the experience... Crime is everywhere and there are many safe areas in atl...

After living in Syracuse for 40 years and moving to Athens, Ga. 11 years ago.............life has been very much improved. Good weather. Warm weather but still change of seasons, short winter, way more land and house for the money, a fraction of the property taxes of NY. Same salary and increases as in the north but a far lower cost of living.

I have a house that is quadruple the value of my last house in NY (11 years ago) and I am paying less taxes now on this house than I was in NY 11 years ago for a house a fraction of the value and cost. Plus I have several acres instead of an 80x180 lot and neighbors 26 ft. away on either side of me.

I talk to my old neighbors in Syracuse area and they told me shortly after I left the taxes doubled. That was a long time ago. I can only imagine how they are now.

Georgia is still 75% undeveloped. You can quickly get into the countryside from anywhere urban like all those suburbs of Atlanta such as Decatur. You don't need to live in a city setting to work in one. Atlanta traffic is no worse than anywhere else. It moves well. I deal with it all the time. Crime is everywhere and luckily has not been a problem for us.

The country around Athens is really nice. I have a brother that's lived there for quite some time. He just retired. I always enjoy going there. I don't remember the name of the addition he lived in but I recall him saying that Kenny Rogers lived back behind him. The weather is nice also as they get a bit more of a change of seasons than we do here in S.E.TX.

• Moderators

Georgia is still 75% undeveloped. You can quickly get into the countryside from anywhere urban like all those suburbs of Atlanta such as Decatur. You don't need to live in a city setting to work in one.

We went to Marks home a couple of years ago, really nice area but not overdeveloped for sure, there were a herd of dear 50' from his house. I really liked the area, we got to see a bunch of it when we got a little lost trying to find the interstate when we were leaving. [:$]

Great looking house Mark and I must say it was really nice to meet Mrs 1101, cool lady and fun to be around. [H]

It has not been the same around here since I picked up those bass bins from you, I have a new favorite.

A job just opened up there and I am thinking about applying for it but I have never been there. I can see that it is east of Atlanta but that is about as much as I know so far.

I would expect to start a family there if I took the job.

Thanks

It's a great place, they have plenty of discount strip clubs and oriental message parlors.

Decatur itself is expensive and beocoming upscale. My nephew and his wife lived just on the south edge, outside of Decatur and the housing was much cheaper. They didn't like the "South", and only stayed a few years (worked for Lithonia Lighting desining light fixtures...)

The whole Atlanta area is too rushed for me. My wife and I live in the Northwest portion of the state, just South of Chattanooga, TN. Way more laid back and lower cost of living.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

A job just opened up there and I am thinking about applying for it but I have never been there. I can see that it is east of Atlanta but that is about as much as I know so far.

I would expect to start a family there if I took the job.

Thanks

lucky dog, you'll be near Spondivits.

I live about 20 minutes north of Decatur and go there often for work and to visit my Dad's office in downtown Decatur. The downtown Decatur area is really nice and trendy since it is home to Emory and Agnes Scott. Tons of great places to eat, bars, and entertainment. Like Mark said, there are lots of suburbs within a decent commute. Home prices in Decatur will be considerably more than you can find just 20-30 minutes away. If you want any suggestions just let me know. I have lived here for 28 years and love it!