Movie Sleepers?

DizRotus

This is great! Exactly the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I just put holds on The Game, ****** & Galaxy Quest from the local library. I've made a list of a dozen of the fiilms recommended. I'll work my way through.

No one has commented yay or nay regarding The Spanish Prisoner. If you've never seen it, give it a look. Get it from your local library and you risk nothing. If you've already seen it, or watch it now, please share your reaction.

.....If you like Akira Kurosawa's films, the iconic classic, "Seven Samurai" is a great "sleeper". It's a long movie however, but well worth it.

It's also the storyline for the Magnificent Seven (but I'm sure you knew that.)

Heres a good list of [Y] titles in no particular order:

Proof

The Straight Story

One Week

Vanishing Point (the '70s cult classic)

25th Hour (the film with Ed Norton not the other one with the same title)

Saint Ralph

Simon Birch

The Road Home (Chinese film with Zhang Ziyi)

Children of Heaven (beautiful Iranian film)

The Color of Paradise (another beautiful Iranian film)

Paris Texas

Tender Mercies

Never Cry Wolf

The Grey Fox

Tom Horn

In the Valley of Elah

Aurora Borealis

American History X

Also: the new digital reissue of To Kill a Mockingbird

On ******, the menu is kinda cool. There is a subtitle setting for Pikey/Come Again? that is whenever Brad Pitt is speaking his 'Pikey' dialect (kind of thick Irish/British) it gives you subtitles, kind of like the Ozzy Translator on The Osbornes. Recommend on the first couple go-rounds.

Triangle on blu-ray. Also just watched "They Live" on netflix streaming. " I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ***, and i am all out of bubblegum" ha pretty stupid movie but i am running out of movies i have not seen. The fighter was good if you have not scene that

I recently watched "Saving Private Ryan" in 1080P HD with a pair of LS and a Pair of Cornwall + a pair of SP1 peavey (now distroyed) + a subwoofer 12" JBL and JBL control1 as center ... and WOW...! I thought I was myself in Normandi

If you are into the "Akiro Kurosawa" lone warrior type genre, one of the best is the Zatoichi series that started in the early 1960's. The blind wanderer. There were a total of over 20+ films, all with the same actor as the hero; They even had a TV series in Japan that was one of the most popular. Zatoichi is the quintessential "anti-hero". Rather than a samurai, he's a blind masseur and gambler. But.... his skill with the cane sword is second to none.

[H]

Happy, Texas

Bubba Ho-Tep

Prey for Rock & Roll

watching the detectives

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

RocknRolla (This scene really cuts to the chase. Thandie Newton is the crooked accountant and Gerard Butler is One-Two, the gangster.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpcLL_zzzE0&feature=related

[Y] for Galaxy Quest. It's one of those rare movies that's better than you expect.

Gunless (Western comedy)

Clean (Maggie Cheung is a rockstar's widow and Nick Nolte (shortly after that infamous mugshot) is her father-in-law.)

Johnny English

Shadow of the Vampire

Undercover Brother

In Bruges

Hi Fidelity. John Cusack owns a record store and is remembering his past five girlfriends, trying to figure out what he is doing wrong in relationships.

a clip - be ready for an F-Bomb. The music store scenes throughout the fillm are the greatest.

The Big Lebowski. It was a sleeper for me. First time I thought it was very slow and not going anywhere. Took another viewing a few years later before it grew wings.

I'll second on Galaxy Quest. One of my favorite "spoof" movies, but with a good solid story line.

Cool

...and wonderfully quotable:

"Miners, not minors..."

"At least he's outside"

"Just like my mom used to make"

"I'm just jazzed to be on the show..." , or just about every line delivered by Sam Rockwell's "Guy"

..does the rolling help?

Here's another one: RED

I just watched it tonight.

It's a spy action caper with Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Brian Cox, Helen Mirren, even Ernest Borgnine, plus some good young actors.

The sound is also well mixed.

If you are into the "Akiro Kurosawa" lone warrior type genre, one of the best is the Zatoichi series that started in the early 1960's. The blind wanderer. There were a total of over 20+ films, all with the same actor as the hero; They even had a TV series in Japan that was one of the most popular. Zatoichi is the quintessential "anti-hero". Rather than a samurai, he's a blind masseur and gambler. But.... his skill with the cane sword is second to none.

Cool

Kurosawa's films are always a treat to watch... [Y]
Bruce

Here's another one: RED

That was a fun movie. Jason Bourne x 10 in a tongue in cheek way. My wife thought it was too over the top, but I liked it. "Moldova Sucks!"

Movies like Red, James Bond, hell - just about every action flick - are SUPPOSED to be over the top. That's what makes them so great; what I liked about Red was the humor interwoven without making it feel like a comedy.

Movies like Red, James Bond, hell - just about every action flick - are SUPPOSED to be over the top. That's what makes them so great; what I liked about Red was the humor interwoven without making it feel like a comedy.

Bruce Willis made reference to that very thing after the last Die Hard movie, when he said those stories sort of exist in their own universe, where a bad guy can fall out of a helicopter 60 feet onto pavement and get up without losing his bad attitude.

This clip is from RocknRolla, when our bad guys rob some Russian bad guys. Problem is, these Russians will not give up.

Dude are you effing kidding me. I just literally got done watching this (dead man) and came right to this thread to post (without knowing you had posted this yet). How effing crazy is that? This is one of thoes movies that makes a good home theater worth it to me. Not that the picture was awesome (its a black and white although from 1994) i just loved the movie and the soundtrack was good too (dont expect much just some good western guitar strumming electric style). I liked too how the humor was everywhere but wasnt over the top and did not ruin the feel of the movie.

By the way groom lake do you have any tobacco?