Yes "Fragile" Album

gagelle

I just listened to the remastered "Fragile" album (Japanese SHM pressing) through my Emotiva Amp and Cornwall 3 speakers. I was simply blown away by this beautiful production. In most of the remastered CDs, the extra tracks are usually mediocre. Not on this album. Their version of Simon and Garfunkel's "America" is exquisite, with every note slowly rendered to extract its beautiful essence. The second extra track is an outtake of "Roundabout" with some mistakes, but what wonderful mistakes! and experimental harmonies, that in my opinion, sound better than the original.

This album probably could not fit on a single LP with the extra tracts, but it leads me to wonder if there was a vinyl version ever made. It's perhaps a neglected, but not forgotten rock masterpiece.

I have not seen a remastered version of Fragile yet (180 gram pressing). However, I would not be surprised if they do a two vinyl LP set so as to get all of the extra material on it. This was done with the 180 pressing of Band on the Run. There is lots of good stuff on that 2 record set.

I have not seen a remastered version of Fragile yet (180 gram pressing). However, I would not be surprised if they do a two vinyl LP set so as to get all of the extra material on it. This was done with the 180 pressing of Band on the Run. There is lots of good stuff on that 2 record set.

AcousTech mastering by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman did it on 180g, great cover work too. Catalog number AAPP7211, Analogue Productions, I got it from Acoustic Sounds. The best vinyl version I have heard. It is the original LP, no bonus discs or tracks etc. 2006.

Always glad to speak to a fellow Yes fan! Fragile is a good album; but, my personal favorite, by far, is Close to the Edge. I've met Rick Wakeman and actually got an email from him several months ago (okay, he was just replying to mine; but, still it was an email from my second favorite musician...Brian May is my favorite). No doubt there records are great when you consider that Yes was made up of superstars in a way. Wakeman one of the best, Steve Howe has always been ranked as one of the best guitarist, and Chris Squire is a top notch bass player. Glad you enjoyed it.

AcousTech mastering by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman did it on 180g, great cover work too. Catalog number AAPP7211, Analogue Productions, I got it from Acoustic Sounds. The best vinyl version I have heard. It is the original LP, no bonus discs or tracks etc. 2006.

Thanks oldtimer... I'll see if I can order it tomorrow....

I have both the remastered 180 gram LP and the new CD (the US version I think) with the bonus tracks. I only bought the LP after being SO impressed with the CD. I LOVE the Roundabout "rough outtake" and I also think it blows away the original. The separation of instruments and harmonies is beautiful.

I was really disappointed with the vinyl though. To my ears it was thin and lifeless and my original copy was significantly better. Yes, it's dead quiet and the detail is nice but it has no depth or texture IMO. It got rave reviews so I can only surmise it's one of those recordings that sounds great on some systems and lousy on others...mine being of the latter.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the 180 gram vinyl that's been played once and probably not all the way through, let me know. $17 includes shipping.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/34989/Yes-Fragile-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Interesting Gary. The remastered lp is supposed to be warmer and more airy. I tried every original pressing I could, from US to all of Europe and the UK and was always disappointed by obvious distortion at the same few places. I gave my Italian pressing to a friend after getting the remaster. I'll have to spin it again soon and give an updated opinion, it's been a while anyway.

Interesting Gary. The remastered lp is supposed to be warmer and more airy. I tried every original pressing I could, from US to all of Europe and the UK and was always disappointed by obvious distortion at the same few places. I gave my Italian pressing to a friend after getting the remaster. I'll have to spin it again soon and give an updated opinion, it's been a while anyway.

Please let me know what you think. There have been a couple LPs that never sounded good on my system but sounded terrific on others. One that always comes to mind is a Japanese pressing of Jethro Tull's first album. Same deal.

Fragile is one of very few albums I prefer on CD. The original is not all that great either but sounds much warmer and more musical to my ears.

Maybe warm is not a good term since we have differing ideas on it. I think the remaster is warmer, the original of whatever pressing I ever heard was too bright and grating, even causing cringing at times. I definitely see (hear) where you are coming from about the remaster. It doesn't have the immediate presence of the original, and may seem muted especially depending on one's set up. I wish there were a more happy medium but I still prefer the remaster because all the cringing is gone. It does seem to blossom better at moderate volumes and louder. This probably helps compensate for the less bright presentation. I also hear more detail in some places that I never remember hearing on the original. Keep in mind to all concerned that I wore out my first copy of Fragile way back when so I have listened to it a lot over the years. For example, Cans and Brahms on the original always seemed embarrassingly flawed with what sounded like levels set too high that it overloaded the high frequencies. On the remaster it sounds delightful, as it should.

Perhaps depending on one's set up this is a pick your poison decision, as far as which to listen to. Due to the nature of the lp's musical design each tune should probably get special treatment and i'm not entirely sure that happened. I have not heard the cd you prefer, maybe we can make a deal for a copy?

I have not heard the cd you prefer, maybe we can make a deal for a copy?

Will a burned copy sound as good as the real thing? If it's close enough, I'll send you one. You really should hear the alternate Roundabout version if nothing else.

I suppose I should listen to the LP again. Its been about a year.

Thanks for taking the time to review the LP.

I have a track of America on a live cd, not bad for a cover, but I am not especially a fan of the original Simon version either.

I've had several younger friends headed to buy this disc after hearing the dvd audio version.The studio version of America on the dvd -a disc is one of the best surround recordings I've ever heard.The whole album sounds like it was designed for surround sound for that matter.

I

I just listened to the remastered "Fragile" album (Japanese SHM pressing) through my Emotiva Amp and Cornwall 3 speakers. I was simply blown away by this beautiful production. In most of the remastered CDs, the extra tracks are usually mediocre. Not on this album. Their version of Simon and Garfunkel's "America" is exquisite, with every note slowly rendered to extract its beautiful essence. The second extra track is an outtake of "Roundabout" with some mistakes, but what wonderful mistakes! and experimental harmonies, that in my opinion, sound better than the original.

This album probably could not fit on a single LP with the extra tracts, but it leads me to wonder if there was a vinyl version ever made. It's perhaps a neglected, but not forgotten rock masterpiece.

Intriguing, where did you buy it? I found the SHM site, but wonder if there is a US source. Also, have you compared this to the Mobile Fidelity CD? thanks

I was really disappointed with the vinyl though. To my ears it was thin and lifeless and my original copy was significantly better. Yes, it's dead quiet and the detail is nice but it has no depth or texture IMO. It got rave reviews so I can only surmise it's one of those recordings that sounds great on some systems and lousy on others...mine being of the latter.

I have two different turntables set up, one is a high end table with an expensive moving coil cartridge, and the other is a high compliance moving magnet set up. Sometimes one album will sound great on the moving coil set-up, and sometimes I get better sound from the moving magnet setup. It's truly baffling to me why this is, but I guess I'm glad I have both turntables set up for that very reason.

"The Yes album" is far and away my favorite with "Close to the edge" right behind. I still get chills when I listen to Mr. Howe play "The Clap".

I'd give the edge to Close to the Edge with The Yes Album a close second. BTW - The Yes Album 180 gram reissue that came out a couple years ago is amazing. I don't know if it's still available but if you don't have a copy, find one!