salvation in solid state...

UFObuster

...to those like me who wring out 2 channel from their HT systems, a quick note: I just replaced my Rotel RSP -1068 pre/pro with the new Marantz AV7005.

The technology just leaps ahead. I use a 2 channel Rotel RB-1080 (200w) to RF7 speakers for exclusive 2-channel (with added support for HT otherwise).

...Like many of my breathren, I will always be on a budget combining HT with 2 channel (budget=oxymoron, right?)...But, the AV7005 with Audyssey room

correction tames so many of my problems I am in audio bliss (without Heritage stuff). Best component I've owned in ages. I'm not touting Marantz because there are so many good

affordable pre/pros around; the new stuff just reeks with better sound stage, detail, etc....

...yes, sublime 2 channel can be done in solid state without heritage speakers and not give up all the other goodies....hang in there, my solid state buddies...

For daily non-critical listening, a good modern AVR is hard to beat. Especially with "one button" turn-on etc., for my wife and son. Ease of operation, instead of running around with frazzled hair, in a lab coat carrying a SPL meter, multi-meter, and fiddling with buttons and knobs every time the next commercial airs on DTV....

[:D]

instead of running around with frazzled hair, in a lab coat carrying a SPL meter, multi-meter, and fiddling with buttons and knobs

Groomlakearea51 speaks the truth. I have witnessed this very spectacle [:D] I don't remember the "lab coat" though... [;)]

...I enjoyed the mental image of the frazzled hair, lab coat, and SPL meter....I did it myself trying to tweak my Rotel processor.

.. but my point may be more serious...I don't want to start another debate on tubes vs solid state. So, let me stipulate that tubes + heritage is the

2 channel nirvanna.....but advances in solid state pre/pros + solid state amps...are getting into the "critical" listening mode for 2 channel using reference standard

speakers. Time + technology keeps closing the gap if you believe there is one. I'm encouraging all the s/s + reference speaker owners like me that they are not

really that far off the mark of "critical listening" in 2 channel and they may be saving a lot of $$ and a lot of trouble. The newer technology is nearly a paradigm shift. A "critical" listener would be well served to take note.

I have heritage linked to a modern Pioneer. to be honest, I couldn't be happier. I am SURE there are much better set ups, but for my room, 25x20 it's has a wonderful image and outstanding levels.

Specially at the price point, I am not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination, so being "all in" at about $1600 via discreet shopping and Criagslist finds this is my most rewarding set up to date.

5944542035_a23864de22_z.jpg

I found that Crites interview eye opening when he said that Paul Klipsch used SS amps.

• Moderators

Ease of operation, instead of running around with frazzled hair, in a lab coat carrying a SPL meter, multi-meter, and fiddling with buttons and knobs every time the next commercial airs on DTV....

I had to laugh at that, I could just picture Groomlake running around in a lab coat, little cigar in one hand and a Sam Adams in the other with that Hunter S Thompsom look in his eyes making adjustments. [:|] [H] Very funny and a little scary. [;)]

But he's right !

post-11804-13819659182174_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

SS and no Heritage in the living room for me also, and happy like this.

Heritage in the bedroom but no tubes, I'm not saying never to tubes but it may be that long ?

I do love Heritage, and they sure can sound great with SS, especialy vintage or great pieces like some McIntosh. [Y]

Probably the greatest advance in this topology is the built-in room correction which eliminates, most, but hardly all, of the problems any room brings to the listening experience. To my ears even superbly executed executed solid state still imparts a steely graininess to the music, which I find irritating over a long listening session.

Early s/s McIntosh sounds very close to tubes, are very affordable, and once reworked have been extremely reliable for me. I get a very close to tube sound with no maintenance nor cost of tubes.

As mentioned above, some modern class D can do the same thing.

Maybe the next Audessy upgrade will offer a "tube sound" DSP mode.

It's all what you are after. You can find it somewhere.