Turn Table?

Taz

I looked at a Sansui Direct drive with adjustment to set speed with strobe. Non Quartze lock, 45 & 33 rpm. He's asking $300. Its on consignment. Also a Dual CS5000 made in Germany? which has 33, 45, & 78, belt drive I believe. They are asking $250. Came down from $300. Exellent return policy for me from this business. Comments anyone? Have not had turntable since I was a kid. Just a phone call and either or can be mine.

I can’t speak to the Sansui as I have never owned one but If I had to make that choice it would be the Dual table without hesitation. I’m a big fan of Dual turntables having owned several over the years. Every one I had was just a good solid performer.

There is a guy in Iowa that runs a business doing nothing but restoring and repairing Dual turntables. His web site is: http://www.fixmydual.com/ I have not yet used his services but from everything I’ve read his work is top notch. As soon as I can afford it I plan to buy a fully restored table from him. I read about a lot of folks who buy a Dual table and ship it straight to him for restoration without ever hooking it up.

Good luck...

P.S. If you decide to pass on the Dual table please drop me a PM. I’ve been looking for a good example of one of those for a while now. THANX!

I can’t speak to the Sansui as I have never owned one but If I had to make that choice it would be the Dual table without hesitation. I’m a big fan of Dual turntables having owned several over the years. Every one I had was just a good solid performer.

There is a guy in Iowa that runs a business doing nothing but restoring and repairing Dual turntables. His web site is: http://www.fixmydual.com/ I have not yet used his services but from everything I’ve read his work is top notch. As soon as I can afford it I plan to buy a fully restored table from him. I read about a lot of folks who buy a Dual table and ship it straight to him for restoration without ever hooking it up.

Good luck...

P.S. If you decide to pass on the Dual table please drop me a PM. I’ve been looking for a good example of one of those for a while now. THANX!

Thanks for posting the Dual turntable repair site. I have a Dual TT, that was my fathers, and I would love to bring it back up to speed.

Good luck...

Thanks to both you and Boxx, I called and Linda at the little stereo store has put my name on the Dual. Looks like I'll be shopping for Vinyl.[:D] By the way, a Sameless plug for Thompsons Electronics in Eugene OR. They have treated me great over the years.

I sent my Dual 601 to Bill Neumann (fixmydual) a couple of years back to get the motor exchanged per an old upgrade bulletin. Nice job, quick turnaround, and reasonable rates. Don't use it that much, but everything functions like a champ. You won't go wrong with Bill, tell him what you have, and he will let you know what he can do. He has a very good line on parts.

Here's my secret if you want to save money. Get the best CDs, (SHM if affordable) download them to iTunes in RAW format on your computer. (It uses more memory but the sound quality is worth it, IMHO.) Synch your iPhone to your computer. Get a Y wire from Radio shack--2 RCA connected to a 1/8 in. headphone jack. Plug it in to your iPhone or whatever you use. Play it through any input on your receiver. (I use tape input because my integrated amp. is vintage Sansui.) Very convenient and you never have to look for a missing or lost CD.

That's funny. Don't forget staying up all night doing that stuff because you have only have "one more thing" to do--wife yelling, "When are you coming to bed." Me yelling back, "If you didn't stay up so late, you wouldn't know I wasn't in bed." That's why I'm divorced.

But seriously, I played The Allman Brothers Live at The Fillmore East yesterday. That album is a perfect example of how good records can get. No CD that I've ever heard can reproduce the full sound on the vinyl recording. "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is a masterpiece of improvisation, IMHO. Imagine being there for that concert!

Here's my secret if you want to save money. Get the best CDs, (SHM if affordable) download them to iTunes in RAW format on your computer. (It uses more memory but the sound quality is worth it, IMHO.) Synch your iPhone to your computer. Get a Y wire from Radio shack--2 RCA connected to a 1/8 in. headphone jack. Plug it in to your iPhone or whatever you use. Play it through any input on your receiver. (I use tape input because my integrated amp. is vintage Sansui.) Very convenient and you never have to look for a missing or lost CD.

iPhone! I'm still in the stone age here. Does this require a cell phone signal? Don't get one of those at home. If it does, does it count against the minutes used on my plan? Have small amout of minutes as when talking on cell it will be short conversation. iTunes? Have to admit my ignorance here. Have several "Y" wires though and I have considered a seperate hard drive for music only. Some of the external hard drives look awful big (small size, store lots of info). Would these be compatible with a lap top? Would I need another computer if I wanted to look at the forum while listening to music? I do have my hooks in a Dual turntable. So much to learn, so little time. I buy speaker wire by the roll. Can never have enough.

Thanks! John

Well I picked up the Dual truntable the other day. Then hit the Goodwill store. Picked thru 2/3rd of their stock. Paid 10 and got change. 99 cents a record, any record. Got home and tried it out. OMG I like it. Running it into old Marantz quad reciever, Unfortunately one of the rear speakers took a dump. Now I just need to go to the closet of speakers and get another pair. Long walk downstairs. Won't fit on the bookshelf either. [8]

Congrats...nothing to do now but start buying some good quality vinyl. Carefull of the goodwill and sally anne stuff, you don't want to mess up your stylus now do ya.

Don't get me wrong, lots of good deals to be had at those places...just be sure to hold back on less than acceptable disks.

So...

Buy, Clean, Organize, Catalog and ENJOY.

Oh...where are the PICS??

Dual.

Direct drive turntables in general and in particular from that era, with very few exceptions, SUCK. Weighted rumble figures that hide all the low frequency artifacts they produce.

Gee, I guess late model Technics are among the few DD turntables that don't suck. I don't hear any low frequency artifacts coming through my JubScalas and Paradigm sub. I do hear lots of detail from top to bottom, along with really solid bass, more detail and solid bass than I got from my older turntable.

Congrats...nothing to do now but start buying some good quality vinyl. Carefull of the goodwill and sally anne stuff, you don't want to mess up your stylus now do ya.

Don't get me wrong, lots of good deals to be had at those places...just be sure to hold back on less than acceptable disks.

So...

Good advice! I'll take with THANKS. Unfortunally the speaker issue seem to be a problem with the Marantz Quad. Guess It's time to bring the 9090 and 9090DB up for a while. Or maybe just the Fisher???

So...

[^o)]

It has nothing to do with the phone or minutes. You're just using its memory to hold and play music files. The same thing can be done with an iPod or any media player that uses flash memory.

Like I said, I feel like I'm in the stone age with this tech stuff. Can't even post pictures by following the directions. Maybe if I take Pic with cell phone they will post. Anyhow I bought new 2 TB external hard drive for music and maybe pictures. Now I just have to learn to use it. The old stuff, plug reciever into speakers I understand. Have learned to plug computer into TV for movies for one of the older Gentlemen that live with us.

I see you're on west coast also. No wonder you're up this time of morning.