Turntable On A Budget

Ironsave

Hey Ironsave, Good to see you and even better to see you're getting back into vinyl. The first thing I did was tell all my friends that I am listening to records again and if you're looking for somewhere to store those OLD records of yours, you can store them at my house and if and when you want them back, come and get them.

With in a week I had a few hundred records that nobody wants back! rockout.gif Sure, it is a "mix" of genres, but you've seen what I listen to....just about anything, so it started a trend. Many of my friends have just gave me their old record collections. None of them will ever have a turntable again, so it works out great for both of us and they can visit anytime and spin their old vinyl if they want!

Vinyl quality can very, even on the same pressing. One copy can sound like crap and another copy sound great. shrug.gif

Congratulations my friend and enjoy the music! [8][8]

Dennie

Mid 70s to early 80s Dual or Phillips belt drive TTs are good entry level.

German made.

I had three Duals before I got my JA Michel.

Yep! I had 2 duals (CS-721, CS-5000) before the Thorens.

Mike

Its that NOS Valves customer's briliant minds think alike thing!

In regard to carts, there are some real nice entry level carts for around $ 100 USD that would never have been found in that price range 20 years ago.

Needle Doctor has a good budget cart selection with user reviews.

If your budget is really tight, it might be better to save up for another month or two and get something better than the absolute minimum.

There's a saying, "cheapskate pays twice", meaning it's false economy to buy something that doesn't do the job, because you'll end up buying what you actually wanted anyway, so the first money spent was thrown away.

There's a saying, "cheapskate pays twice", meaning it's false economy to buy something that doesn't do the job, because you'll end up buying what you actually wanted anyway, so the first money spent was thrown away.

I have been down this road many times.

I need a phono preamp if I want this to go with my AVR 7300.......

I was going to recommend an Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3 for a very clean but very inexpensive phono pre, but the Needle Doctor sold out and A-T has discontinued it. I got one for my Merlin tube preamp, and it is great. Works way better than the $50 or so I paid for it. Yes, there are lots of phono pres out there and the price can be as high as you want, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you find one someplace.

Bruce

So, I have this hooked up to my HK 430 Twin, and Klipsch KG 2 speakers.

It is amazing how much variance there is in the sound.

Some records sound really bad. (In particular, "The Last In Line", By Ronnie James Dio).

Others sound as good as their FLAC counterparts. (Slightly warmer, but sound really great).

Keep in mind, this is a set of Klipsch KG 2s, HK 430 (Turntable) being compared to a set of Klipsch Heresy Is, HK AVR 7300 (FLAC).

I need a phono preamp if I want this to go with my AVR 7300.......

Anyway.... Thanks to all...... This is definitely interesting.....

(Yeah, I can see myself wanting something Audiophile Quality eventually).......

Yeah, records are hit and miss as much as CD's with regard to sound quality.

If the turntable you have connects you with the music and doesn't leave you waning for better sound, then I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a "Audiophile Quality" turntable...unless you really want to.

Sometimes having a low budget TT frees up the choices of the vinyl quality you can play on it. You wouldn't want to listen to a used LP of a favorite band on a expensive turntable with a expensive cartridge. Having a large collection of LP's in excellent condition would be a good reason to purchase a audiophile quality TT.

What you have gives you the option to listen to used vinyl, and a better chance to explore the medium.

I have a couple Dual TT's, and they sound pretty good from what I remember. But they both had pitch problems and need new belts. And I hate a record player with it's pitch bouncing around...

5-6 years ago I found some vintage audio gear from CL. The old timer (Don) had a Japanese idler driver transcription turntable, a K&S Musicmaster "Point One Five". With a Velvet Touch tonearm, and one of the first stereo MM cartridges, a Stanton/Pickering (360?) Fluxvalve. I shelved the dinosaur for about a year, thinking it was a record scraper.

One day I brought it to life out of boredom. I was quite surprised the sound quality and went ahead and tore it down. Cleaned, lubed, went through the tonearm, and put new silicone grease in the unipivot.

I like the Musicmaster over the Dual TTs. Good torque, and with the stroboscope dialed in, is perfect on pitch. Yeah there is some platter growl being a idler drive. But the lively foot tapping sound the TT provides, makes up the difference. Stereo records over 50 years old, can sound rather excellent through this 1959-60 era turntable.

The same with modern LP recordings...provided the LP and the actual recording isn't lousy. The Musicmaster seems to sound fine through cheap SS integrated amplifiers, but much better with tube amplification.

One day I wanted to listen to my small collection of Jazz LP's through a tube phono pre-amp,(a breadboard of JE labs 6SL7 version of the RCA 12AX7 phonostage) a 2A3 stereo SET amplifier, and my Cornwalls. Unfortunately, the Jazz LP's didn't sound all that good. It was enjoyable, but also kinda meh...a bit lifeless.

I then played a Herbie Hancock LP, (Rockit?) and the stereo suddenly leaps to life. The system sounded it's best playing that album, the difference was flat amazing.

The Jazz records sound best through a Scott LK-48B tube integrated.

When I first bought Metallica Kill 'em All it was a record...I wish I still had it. Still have the CD with Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil however.

Mike

Fun stuff in this thread. I saw a reference or to suggesting 100.00 won't by a good TT. Probably not on Ebay, but certainly on CL and even more so through pawn shops, estate and garage sales, and general junk shops. Picked up a Sony whose model number I can't recall at the moment (i am at work and diligently occupied, but it was one I lusted after in the late 70s and was 375.00 or so new at the time and a great sounding table. It featured those really cool touch swtiches that worked great and ensured no vibration to the 'table. Paid 25.00 bucks for it and it's in mint shape. Doesn't fully compare to my VPI, but certainly more than listenable.

Need to clean out my TT stash. I have 5 and outside of my Empire and VPI doubt I have more than 100 bucks or so in the rest. All picked up at junk stores where they didn't bother to check values and all sounding decent or better.

I agree about the low cost of decent entry level carts available today. Shure M97xe is a no brainer in this category getting excellent reviews from audiophiles and Joe Average as well.

Heck, those who've never heard an LP or haven't in many years but have the audio bug should give one a spin at these prices just for grins. If you don't care for it, at least you will know why and have a bit of fun while you learn...

Can't say enough about the source material, though. Whilst the average LP was of higher engineering quality than the average CD of today for a variety of reasons, there was still more crap than cool so you it's possible that you may have 10 or 15 LPs and not get a hit. Good idea to order at least one current audiophile LP with excellent reviews before making a judgement about the medium.

Dave

PS - See USNRET's TD-160 post, same Bat channel...

• 2 weeks later...