American Chopper vs. The Metric System

MechMan

Metric volumes aren't something that I've had to use much so I don't visualize them as easly. BUT trying to convert the imperial system isn't as easy as moving a decimal point and calling it something else. There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, how many tablespoons is that?

Here is a fun brain teaser that many will get wrong:

Without calculating it, ask how many cubic feet are in a five gallon bucket? 

I've been using the metric system for over thirty years, I've been working on Honda's since 1986. So using "mm" is nothing new for me. No problem to convert from inch's to mm when I have to. All Asian cars use the metric system for measurement.... and I do not know of a car today that doesn't have metric nuts and bolt. But I must say I still use "standard" measurements when I torque fasteners..... ft lbs, in lbs. 

Quick story....

Years ago I had a new customer come to my shop for some work on Acura RL. He was a older guy and very "full" of himself..... retired from Goodyear Rubber Co. He was one of those people "that was the knower of all"....

So after working on his car I was in the front office while my wife was doing the paper work. He was telling me all kinds of crapp.... and most of the time when I have people like that I just shake my head, yea yea yea and go with the flow.... He started telling me about his marvelous Acura RL....... and at this point I've kinda checked out of what his blabbering about...... till he asks me...... "Mark do you know why I bought this Acura RL?" I'm like no.....  He said to me....."I bought this Acura RL because there are no metric nuts or bolts on that car!!" ..... I didn't know how to respond other than...... excuse me..... he says it again... that's right there are no metric bolts on that car!!! and he was 100% convinced that he knew what the he!! he was talking about....

Well now that's a new one for me.... So I asked him how he came about this knowledge...... he says... " the salesman told me when I bought the car" lol lol.... I was really trying not to laugh at him..... even my wife was looking at me..... she new I couldn't let this go...... 

I took a breath and said Tom....... "that salesman lied to you!!" I went on to say.... I can assure you that every single nut and bolt on your Acura is metric......There is not one single standard nut or bolt on your car....... You can point to any nut and bolt on your car and I can tell you not only what size it is but can I tell you the metric thread pitch it has..... and to put the icing on the cake I said ...Tom all I own is metric tools if your car had standard fasteners I couldn't work on it:o.......(I have a fine collection of standard tool, I just had to throw that in there) lol lol

He was like a deer in the headlights.... Needless to say he doesn't come to the shop anymore.... I fired him years ago for some other dome chitt... 

Yea the metric system..... I'm down with that;)

MKP :-)

• Like 1

If you have sockets loose in the toolbox and you want a 12 mm or a 1/2 inch and don't take a close look, you're in for trouble.

When I was building horn units years ago I went metric and converted most everything using a spreadsheet.  Finding, say, 19 plus 5/8th reliably was got difficult but with mm it was not. 

WMcD

• Like 1

I had both and metric and standard tools and sometimes with rusted fasteners one or the other would come in handy. Blaster helped a lot too except for frozen bolts in aluminum threads which at times required an air ratchet to remove without breaking.

JJK

1 hour ago, Weber said:

JJK, you're right. I have capitalized on tools that are similar to being the in between the standard to bring off rusted or rounded off he heads.

I have a couple sets of this style of socket for removing rust or rounded head fasteners... On exhaust systems that have severely rusted fasteners I'll just use a torch and heat up the head to a glowing "red" and use a pair of pliers to loosen it.

I also have a draw full of the sacrificial sockets that comes in handy;)

easy-off-metric-twist-socket-set-access-tools-eo0.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

I have a couple sets of this style of socket for removing rust or rounded head fasteners... On exhaust systems that have severely rusted fasteners I'll just use a torch and heat up the head to a glowing "red" and use a pair of pliers to loosen it.

I also have a draw full of the sacrificial sockets that comes in handy;)

easy-off-metric-twist-socket-set-access-tools-eo0.jpg

Yep, those are a must have.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

On exhaust systems that have severely rusted fasteners I'll just use a torch and heat up the head to a glowing "red" and use a pair of pliers to loosen it.

Also just heat a rusted bolt and let it cool, the swelling and shrinking usually will make where can be removed.

• Like 1