Favorite Vinyl Titles and.....

Boy, Shapeshifter...this will be one very long thread!!

Try out Kenny Loggins with Jim Messina Sittin' In...their first album...song: House at Pooh Corner..really shows off the horns.

Any of Joni Mitchell's early albums with her on piano or guitar....For the Roses, Blue, Ladies of the Canyon, etc...

Ten Years After, album: A Space in Time...song on this to show off the horns is "I'd love to Change the World"...probably the cleanest recording of Alvin Lee on lead guitar ever done.

Steve Miller Band, album: Fly Like an Eagle...nuff said!

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young...album: Deja Vu...again, nuff said!

Stephen Stills, album: Manassas...again, nuff said!

pretty much any old Judy Collins...her studio version of "Amazing Grace" is to die for...really shows off the horns.

Duane Allman Anthology...a triple album...has almost all of his stuff on it...alot of Motown session work by him too...one of the best slide guitarists who ever lived...dobro too...nuff said!

Terry Williams...he had only two albums, the second released after he died so young a death of cancer...he was an artist out of Hot Springs, AR...sponsored somewhat by Klipsch...if you go to the advertising section of this website and look at the vintage adds, it is him on the side of the road with his foot on a heresy slant stage monitor at the Hope city limits...with his guitar...wonderful bass/baritone voice...great recordings!!

Santana, album: Caravanserai...nuff said!

The James Gang, album: Thirds.....song "Midnite Man" sure shows off Joe Walsh on a 12 string guitar!

Nicollete Larson, album: Nicolette...just a great album!

Maria Muldaur, album: Maria Muldaur...her first...has "Midnite at the Oasis" on it...but whole album is a tribute to her ability to be a sultry Cajun singer!!...great recording!..makes you think you have walked into a jazz club in New Orleans!! Her rendition of "Tennessee Mountain Home" (an old blue-grass favorite)on this album is fantastic...in true blue-grass fashion!!!

Juice Newton, album: Juice...nuff said!

Eagles, albums: Hotel California and The Long Run...hard to beat three excellent guitarists(one of em Joe Walsh) on classic rock albums that often have more than six guitars going at the same time(thanks to Joe on his overdubs)!!

Lionel Ritchie, album: Can't Slow Down...nuff said!

ANY Moody Blues...nuff said!

Electric Light Orchestra...any of their stuff!!

The Who, album: Who's Next...nuff said!

The list goes on and on.....time for somebody else to chime in here. Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-12-2002 at 10:46 AM

Builder,

We have alot of tastes in common. Just got a Nitty Gritty record cleaner and have cruising the thrift stores. Yesterday I cleaned:

Loggins & Messina, Full Sail - very nice

Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark - a true allstar backup lineup

Steve Miller, The Joker - My 17yo daughter loved it.

Jackson Brown, For Everyman & Late For The Sky - classic

Allman Brothers, Eat A Peach - fantastic

Emmylou Harris, Profile - THE voice imho

Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees - great arrangments

E,L,&P, Lucky Man - really puts your system through the paces

Steely Dan, Aja - classic

Big Brother & the Holding Company, Cheap Thrills - My daughter and her friends said "she can really sing". Oh really?

Totally agree with you on Maria Muldaur album. Once again my daughter immediately went AudioGalaxy looking to download.

Greatful Dead, Europe '72 - one of my all timers, also some Dead stuff with Maria Muldaur on it.

I could go on and on. Having an amazingly great time with my new turntable.

Chris

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Accuphase T-101 Tuner

Clearaudio Champion TT

Rega RB300 arm (quint wire)

Benz Micro Cartridge

EAR Phono Stage

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR7000 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCRs>

Builder,

One more thing, I grew up in the Los Gatos/Saratoga part of Silicon Valley. Juice Newton played at my 21st birthday party at a bar in Los Gatos, Ca. Back then she was in a band fronted by her husband Otha. They were awesome.

Chris

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Accuphase T-101 Tuner

Clearaudio Champion TT

Benz Micro Cartridge

EAR Phono Stage

HT

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR7000 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCRs>

quote:

Originally posted by HDBRbuilder:

Boy, Shapeshifter...this will be one very long thread!!

I hope to receive a lot....Hey I still play my Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy" and Andreas Vollenweider "Down to The Moon" LP's.

Thanks guys. Please keep them coming.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Chris,

On that first Maria Muldaur album....the little girl in the pics is her daughter, Jenny Muldaur. Maria went onto gospel, but her daughter is now recording pop...pretty good, too!

Yep, little EmmyLou Harris, has a sweet voice...almost like an angel is singing! (Kris Kristofferson sure messed up when he let her get away from him!!!)

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-12-2002 at 03:21 PM

My favorite LP's would be a lot.

The 1956 stereo recording of the Gabrieli festival certainly stands out, as well as Biggs/Tarr/Boys Choir Columbia of same in 1967. Certainly Sgt. Pepper, Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon."

But shellac sounds great as well!

Spent yesterday listening to 78's on my Empire/Grado TT. Elvis "Good Rockin' Tonight," Benny Goodman "Oh, Baby," Duke Ellington "The Mooche" (about 1929!), Yank Rachel's "38 Pistol Blues" and many more.

Yeah, pretty eclectic. But I like ALL KINDS MUSIC played, recorded, and reproduced well.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: 21rst Century

cjk1026,

This is a little off the vinyl titles but, who wired(rewired) your RB300 tonearm. I would like to rewire my RB300 arm to get away from the present fixed tonearm to phone section wire connect, before mounting on my new VPI TT. Everyone so far has said it is a formidable task. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Klipsch out.

Jazman,

Quint wiring is an option offered when you buy a Clearaudio Champion TT. It may have something to do with their US Distributor (Musical Surroundings). As a matter of fact, I believe MS is located in either Oakland or Berkeley. Maybe 45 min. from Antioch? They can probably help you (www.musicalsurroundings.com). If not, I hear The Analog Room in San Jose is the place to go.

Good Luck,

Chris

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Accuphase T-101 Tuner

Clearaudio Champion TT

Benz Micro Cartridge

EAR Phono Stage

HT

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR7000 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCRs>

GOLDEN EARRING - Moontan (1973)

The well-known classic with Radar Love, which broke G.E. into the american mainstream. (Still together today !) You can get this and most of their other output on the 2002 CD remasters, which sound very good.

MIDNIGHT OIL - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (1983)

The recording which broke the Aussies in America. Didn't hit big til Diesel & Dust, but you can't go wrong with aggressive vocals, great guitar, bass, & drums throughout. Guaranteed to raise your blood pressure and cause excessive sweating.

MOTLEY CRUE - Too Fast For Love (1982)

A great sounding LP, which was their first. Pick up the recent autobiography from your local library for an interesting read.

QUEEN - Queen II (1974)

I hated this LP the first time I heard it back in 74. Probably ahead of it's time - this album is chock full of great tunes and can really rock out.

SCREAMING BLUE MESSIAHS - Gun-Shy (1986)

15 years ago I heard that David Bowie thought this was 86's best release of the year. Rockabilly punk with drums, bass, and lead. Big hit was "I Wanna Be a Flintstone" on 87's "Bikini Red". I am still bummed that they broke up after 3 LP's.

SUICIDAL TENDENCIES - Debut (1982)

Independent Frontier Records release - hilarious speed punk/thrash that was just dying to get out.

THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND - Collection (1986)

Double LP containing 20 of their greatest hits from the early 70's. A lyrical delight from the bizarro world of Alex Harvey. 2002 CD remasters have just been issued and should be purchased immediately.

I don't buy vinyl much anymore, but i did pick up 15 Columbia 1/2 speed and Mfsl lp's at a rummage sale. Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, Kenny Rogers, LRB, & Jim Croce, etc. (No rock n roll stuff, tho - darn!). My metro area of 150,000 people has 1 record shop and they are not doing well.

Shapeshifter,

I don't buy many albums these days,but you might try thrift stores,consignment shops,pawn shops. I live in a military town and all of these places are overflowing with vinyl. there is a shop here called "The Music Hut", he stocks more used vinyl than cd's. You might look for something like that in your area. Hope this helps. Too many likes to mention, I like all genres.

Bigdnfay

Pink Floyd's:

Dark Side of the Moon, 1973

Wish You Were Here, 1975

The Wall, 1979

The Division Bell, 1993

You guessed it, I am unhealthily obsessed with Pink Floyd......

David Gilmour = Breath-taking

------------------

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings.....-Pink Floyd, Learning To Fly

cjk1026(Chris),

Thanks for the 411. I've been to the Analog Room, didn't know about Musical Surroundings. I'll check out both. I like your Champion TT, it was on my short list.

The Benz Micro is also on my short list for cartridges.

Wes,

I see you're about to stock the shelves with vinyl. How's the MMF and CJ phono pre combo?

Klipsch out.

Well my absolute favorite Album/song to listen to when someone new stops by to hear my Tubes and Heresy's is Elton John, Honky Chateau especially "Honky Cat". When the horns kick in this song really shows what Klipsch speaker excell at. Its nothing short of amazing !!!! Oh its was released in 1972.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 05-13-2002 at 07:48 AM

jazman,

I'm entering the suggested titles into a database file. I will be able to sort by genre and print listings with artist names in alphabetical sequence. Should help me during my searches for good LP's.

I'm very pleased with the CJ Phono, it's really a good match for CJ PV-14L. After near 15 hours of play, the MMF-7 is beginning to sound more musical, the bass is improving, and the soundstage is starting to blossom. I'm discovering what others have reported; there's a musical presence from a good vinyl and tube setup that CD's can't match or deliver. The SACD/DVD player I got a few weeks does an admirable job of delivering this presence, but it still falls short (imo) in total envelopment vs. vinyl. I will continue to buy and listen to all three formats, but for those times when I really want to become one with the music, vinyl gets the nod.

Thanks for the alert on the CJ phono!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-13-2002 at 08:12 AM

Wes,

Glad to hear everything is working well together and to see that good deal on the pre go to you. Speaking as a vinyl junkie, the fun is really just beginning for you. I wish record companies allowed a buyer the option of CD or vinyl for releases of the last 10 years or so. Oh well.........Enjoy the music!

Klipsch out.

If I had to pick only five, this is what I would pick today--it would surely be different tomorrow:

1) Art Pepper Meets the Rythym Section-Art Pepper

Contemporary Records--1956 (released 1957)

2) 2 Degrees East and 3 Degrees West

Bill Perkins / John Lewis

Pacific Jazz--1956

3) Teddy's Ready-- Teddy Edwards

Contemporary Records--1959

4) The Steamer--Stan Getz

Verve (1958)

5) King of the Tenors--Ben Webster

Norgran (Verve) (1954)

Tomorrow's list would probably have Coltrane, Miles,

Harold Land, Curtis Counce and a DIFFERENT Art Pepper LP!!

4)

The finest recording of anything I have in any format is The Beatles - Abbey Road, an "Original Master Recording" by mobile fidelity sound lab. I've never heard anything like it.

A favorite classical is "The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli". It features the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble, The Cleveland Brass Ensemble, and

The Chicago Brass Ensemble.

In addition: anything by Weather Report, Passport, Eric Gale, Lee Ritenour, Tom Scott (with or without the L.A. Express), Tower of Power, Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago, Pat Methey, Lyle Mays, Deodato, The Crusaders, Grover Washington Jr.

Also, and don't laugh, the original soundtrack albums of Mission Impossible and Mannix by Lalo Schifrin; the other tunes on these are nice.

I could go on forever but these are some of my top picks.

Regards,

Mark

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

TV - RCA 31"

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10 (LOL, soon to be replaced)

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

This could be a very long list. Aside from classical stuff, which is an entire post in itself, I would go for:

The Who - Tommy and Quadrophenia.

The Beetles - Sargeant Pepper, Hey Jude, Rubber Soul, The White Album, and the 2 compilation albums - Red and Blue.

Pink Floyd - just about all of them - expecially DSOTM and the Wall but also their "Collection of Dance songs"

Most Soul music (Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, The Commodores, Arethra Franklin, Marvyn Gaye....)

Queen - Night at the Opera, News of the World, Sheer Heart Attack, Jazz....

Paul Simon Live in the Park

A direct to disk version of Wild Child Butler (blues and astonishing - the first vinyl I ever owned with a lower noise floor than CD!!)

Janice Joplin - Pearl

Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits

And various albums I own but cannot remember the titles:

The Communards

Sade

Bob Marley

Suzanne Vega

There is so much more but I cannot think right now and I am not in front of my collection...

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm