Lefties?

oscarsear

According to the Wall Street Journal left handed sorts are predisposed to a number of less than ideal personality traits. They say about 10% of the population is left handed and about 1% is "mixed" in dexterity. The article delves into a number of topics but who cares. How many here are left handed? My brother and I are both lefties although I am more mixed use oriented. I can play ping pong and badminton with paddles/rackets in both hands. Curious indeed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father is a “southpaw”. I think that I was once one too but it got beaten out of me at an early age.

I write equally poorly right or left handed, I shoot a rifle and bow left handed. I shoot a pistol right handed. I throw a baseball right handed but prefer to catch left handed. I swing a golf club equally poorly right or left handed. I currently have the mouse on the right side but I’m just as happy to have it on the left side.

Growing up in the 60s being left handed was seen as a “handicap” so parents and teachers did everything they could to “re-educate” the errant southpaw.

I’m very comfortable and capable using either hand for whatever I’m trying to do. One sort of “funny” thing though is that I’m MUCH better using chopsticks left handed than right handed. I just can’t seem to train my right hand to use them correctly

I'm a bit unusual in that the only thing that I've ever done right-handed is shoot a pistol, and that was because the pistol that I was using had a right-only grip [:@]. Everything else I do is left-handed: I'm the most left-handed person that I know.

My old man's also a south paw, but I'm even more than he is. He says that the smartest people in the world are lefties: they have to be in order to survive in this [bs] right-handed world...

Chris

I'm lefty. I can also do anything with my right hand that I can do with my left hand...just as fast and just as good...BUT..backwards. I can write a full paper with either hands just as fast. To read the paper I write with my right hand....you need to hold it up to a mirror.

There's aconcept of left brain and right brain thinking. Left brain thinkers are logical and proceedural whereas right brain are social, deep feeling, people orentied. It's interesting to note, that most right brined folks when given a test to determine if they are left or right brain'ed...always score low to middle right brain'ed. Whereas aleft brain person can decide in advance if they want to score as a right or a left brain person and if they choose to score as a left brain person..they always score high. Basically, left brain folks are good at taking tests and can see where a test is going and guide the results accordingly.

My grandfather, who was born in 1896, was a leftie. He told me that when he was in "primary" school they tried to force him to be right handed. He was punished anytime he tried to write or draw with his left hand. Ah, the good old days...

My grandfather, who was born in 1896, was a leftie. He told me that when he was in "primary" school they tried to force him to be right handed. He was punished anytime he tried to write or draw with his left hand. Ah, the good old days...

Yup my Dad went through the same thing smacked with a ruler when he tried to right left handed. Likely in the 30's.

I'm in my right mind as well.

I am primarily left handed, with the exception of throwing a baseball/batting, throwing a football, and playing guitar...

Ah... but with what hand do you use your remote control?

You got me there Boxx, I use my remote with my right hand... lol.. [:D]

I'm left-handed, but....

Bat right-handed, Catch right-handed, Throw left-handed, Cut with scissors right-handed, Bowl right-handed. Hold fork left-handed (except when cutting with knife left-handed), Keep wallet in right-rear pocket, Fish right-handed, Hold phone left-handed (to left ear), Use hammer left-handed, Use screwdriver right-handed.

When my son started playing guitar about 6 years ago, I bought an inexpensive left-handed guitar to maybe learn along with him..... Both the left and right hand guitars feel totally foreign in my hands . . .

Welp fellow lefties there does seem to be the commonality that many of us share right and left hand duties. I think it noteworthy that MENSA (the genius organization) has a disproportionate number of lefties amongst their membership. Apparently in olden days the left hand propensity was associated with some degree of demon possession. The wedding ring goes on the left hand to ward off the devil, or so I have read. And then there is the schmearing of the ink on the paper as we write. I solved my problem by adopting script so unreadable that it makes little difference how schmeared the inked up writing gets. My left handed brother (who is an excellent artist) does the wrist-over-upside-down writing approach rendering his left hand into a kinda contorted reverse right hand thus avoiding the schmear altogether. I have dealt with the additional handicap of being blind in my left eye all of my life (not that I am seeking any sympathy here). I do operate the remote with the left hand but the mouse with my right hand (cuz there's no surface to my left). I can type 120 wpm using both hands. I had to learn to type fast because my handwriting was so bad. I do eat using the left hand and gain the advantage of being awarded an end seat at the dining table so as to not conflict with the errant right elbowed eaters. I used to shoot baskets well right handed but had a left handed hook (despite the vision limitation) that nearly always scored. I feel bad for righties. They're just not as unique.