How many of you have more than one pair....

Klipschtastic

of speakers in your 2 channel set up so that you can listen to whichever you feel like at the time.

Do you have them A/B so you can listen to whichever may sound best with whatever you are listening to at the time? Or even a seperate system in the same rack with your main syatem.

I am planning to scour the local ads and thrift stores to see what I can find just to satisfy my curisity and expose myself to more gear. I may be setting some things up to compare and then keep/sell whatever I choose to.

Judging by some of the pics I've seen on this forum, it looks like some of you have lot of gear in the same room.

• Moderators

Two separate setups except they share the HTR, the 2 CH has it's own amps it uses the pre-outs from the HTR and just uses it as a pre amp.

It's a good idea connected to A and B to switch between speakers, just remember any differences in efficiency when switching so you don't blast yourself with the higher efficient models.

I have a rotation system when it comes to amps/preamps, but, the Cornwalls are pretty much mainstay for the main two channel system.

I do have a seperate system for dvds and such which is still two channel. It consists of an HK 3480, Pioneer Elite DV-46AV, HK EQ8 equalizer and at the moment ADS L710's. I do switch speakers out from time to time in this system. I have several different makes and models of speakers. No two speakers are the same and they all have something to offer.

Tom

• Moderators

Multiple speakers are not the ideal set-up. You are much better off with a single pair of better quality speakers than 2 pair of lessor speakers.

I agree compleatly, I thought that's what he was talking about, a single pair playing at a time, but could be wrong.

I did try more than one pair at a time before but was not happy with the resuts.

I have marantz 4270 that I use in quad mode. 25 watt per speaker in quad, 70 watt in stereo. Use IMF TLS 80II for front speakers. Beovox S75 for rear speakers. Had to lay them on their side to use as book shelf speakers. Anywhere in the front room is a sweet spot as I hear 2 to 4 speakers. High WAF. Even sitting in dining room that is off front room I can still hear 3 speakers. I don't remember what I paid for it, or what I paid to have it gone through, but it was worth it for me. If you find one for reasonable price, I'd snag it in a heart beat.[8]

We also listen to TV with this system. At less then 25 watts the IMF's will leave you feeling what you can't hear. Spec's say they go down to 20 htz. Beovox look like 4 way speakers as the little Beovox has 4 different size speakers in the cabinet.

I also use this set up for listening to computer instead of dinky computer speakers. I can wake everyone in the house if I'm not careful.[6]

Must be careful of SHMBO and her Broom. She does not wake in a good mood if woken for no good reason. [:@]

good plan, for a while when I first set up my 2 channel listening room I had a 6 channel Niles box hooked up to .. Khorns, CWIII, Jamo Concert 8, F2, Heresy II. It's fun to do for a while. We also did some comparisons here for a while in my hearth room with LS, Chorus II, CF3, RB5, RB3, H - using a selector box with volume knobs allowed us to take the efficiencies out of the equation and listen for the quality of the sound. There were some surprising results. Right now I have Jubilees and Khorns in the same room, not exactly an A/B box but a Crown DC300IIa powers the Khorns and I have two of the XTI2000 on the Jubilees (that will soon change too). Our systems seem to be constantly morphing, that's part of the fun of it. Comparisons are a necessary evil. You'll want to check out the Wall of Voodoo posts here in 2 CH.

Yeah I meant alternating, not playing simultaniously.

I do both:

Klipschorns front wall with its own stereo preamp and amp.

Chorus II rear wall with its own preamp and amp.

They share a common CD player.

Two subwoofers hooked to the Chorus II's preamp too.

I can listen to them in any combination of:

1) Klipschorns by themselves, 2) or with a sub, 3) or stereo subs.

Move my chair to the font wall and listen to the: 4) Chorus II by themselves, 5) or with sub, 6) or stereo subs.

Or 7) Klipschorns, Chorus II and subs all together. Speakers have their own volume, so can be adjusted for their different efficiencies and for different effects. When I listen in this manner, I usually listen to the Klipschorns as the mains with Chorus II and subs assisting, but sometimes move my chair and use the Chorus II as the mains with subs and Klipschorns assisting them.

I listen to all the above combinations and enjoy them all. I enjoy stereo and my mixes.

I have another stereo system on the side wall that's tube integrated with its own CD player, speakers and can be hooked to one of the subs too. I just move my chair to the other side wall.

I use to have a fourth set of speakers on the other side wall hooked to the B side of the Chorus II's stereo system with subs, but put those speakers in closet for now, but they may come back out again. Four walls all having their own pair of speakers with subs assisting if wanted.

I have more stereo components including more speakers in closet too and bring them out in different combinations some days for a day, days, week or more to enjoy. It's a large room that's idea for Klipschorns, with good acoustics, so all sounds good in it. Friends come over and we have many choices of systems, components and music. We just move our chairs. It's all good in stereo at my house. I enjoy surround, but have stayed with stereo for now.

of speakers in your 2 channel set up so that you can listen to whichever you feel like at the time.

Do you have them A/B so you can listen to whichever may sound best with whatever you are listening to at the time? Or even a seperate system in the same rack with your main syatem.

In my family room, I have RF-63's, Fortes, and Quartets. The 63's are hooked up to my NAD/Acurus combo and the Fortes and Quartets are A and B speakers hooked up to my Denon PMA-1080R. I do A-B(and C) sessions all the time just to keep it interesting. It is a great way to nail down component matching with different speakers, amps, sources, etc.

At one time I had Quartets, Heresys, RB-5's, and Polk Audio RT-25i's mated with Marantz 2252B, Denon PMA-757, and B&K PT-3II/B&K EX4420 combo. A bit obsessive I know but fun also.

The master bedroom(woman cave) "only" gets two setups, completely seperate, one for TV and one for 2-channel.[;)] I don't know how I am getting away with that.[:D]

Bill

I've only set up one pair of speakers at a time and have had the same speaks in my main system for almost 15 years though they've gone through some heavy tweaking and mods over that time. My 2nd system is more conducive to speaker changes and although I still only use one pair at a time, I've gone through quite a few over the last year or so - Cain & Cain, Abbys, Zu Definitions, Altec Brazillias, Tannoy Windsors - I even had some Klipsch Epic C-3's in there a few years back.

Having a few pieces of audio gear laying around to occasionally listen to is cool and collecting can be fun but it can also be additive and without discipline, you can run out of space fast and test the limits of your SO/room mate's relationship so take care. I've found that I have way too much gear that I've either only given a cursory listen or have never even hooked up. These 'things' were brought in gladly with the best of intentions but over time, have become a burden so have fun but take care.

good plan, for a while when I first set up my 2 channel listening room I had a 6 channel Niles box hooked up to .. Khorns, CWIII, Jamo Concert 8, F2, Heresy II. It's fun to do for a while. We also did some comparisons here for a while in my hearth room with LS, Chorus II, CF3, RB5, RB3, H - using a selector box with volume knobs allowed us to take the efficiencies out of the equation and listen for the quality of the sound. There were some surprising results. Right now I have Jubilees and Khorns in the same room, not exactly an A/B box but a Crown DC300IIa powers the Khorns and I have two of the XTI2000 on the Jubilees (that will soon change too). Our systems seem to be constantly morphing, that's part of the fun of it. Comparisons are a necessary evil. You'll want to check out the Wall of Voodoo posts here in 2 CH.

Haha, good memories. Colter's has always been the best place for demoing gear. I would highly recommend listening around to see what flavors of sound you enjoy.

I am planning to scour the local ads and thrift stores to see what I can find just to satisfy my curisity and expose myself to more gear. I may be setting some things up to compare and then keep/sell whatever I choose to.

Judging by some of the pics I've seen on this forum, it looks like some of you have lot of gear in the same room.

I have two SYSTEMS for this reason.

System one is the Peach/VRD/Cornwall system, a testimony in linearity and accuracy, with that smooth liquid power that the big Heritage do sooooo well with. This system is the one you use with the idea of "best recording - best performance", again, linearity being the primary "concern" here.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/154457.aspx?PageIndex=2

And then I get even more "interesting" with the Peach/VRD/Cornwall kit,
because that "chain" is a 2 channel kit within a larger HT setup, so I
have two complete systems in one room on one set of speakers (I just
manually swap the speaker outputs from the two amplifiers involved, only
using one system at a time). So I get multichannel HT sound with high
solid state impact as a "double bonus", and a "smorgasbord" of audio
options that covers any conceivable want or need.

So not only is it typical for some users to use different speakers to
get certain tonal balances/"sound", but it is also normal for people
here to take the same speakers and hook up multiple "system chains" to
them, as the electronics can and will change a Klipsch's sound to impart
just what that gear sounds like. The bigger Klipsch are very much "changelings" in this regard - untold hordes of people over the years gave up on Klipsch because they never heard them on proper electronics for them (and some of those people ended up back here).

System two is a vintage McIntosh system, MX110>MC30s>Belle Klipsch. "Midrangimus Maximus" is the story here, as well as a unique ability to bring older recordings back to LIFE! It imparts a bit of the SET kind of sound, by way of some really pricey capacitors and tubes throughout the audio chain, yet with the testicles of a push pull, and a midrange saturation/fullness that is just downright HOLY. The Belle Klipsch are a great speaker for this purpose/setup.

So yes, we do lots of things to try to get all the best audio combinations.

• Moderators

The Wall of Voodoo. Any individual pair, or any/all pairs in combination, depending on the venue, etc.

I would guess you are one of the very few who could run more than a single pair at once and have good results.