Random rant about black bars when I watch movie!

carbon summit

My buddy recently got a projecto 120", Most of the blu rays were 2.35:1 I find this with most of my blu rays maybe this is why I go with blu rays now. WIth my tv I don't notice it but with the projector i notice it more. For some reason his screen from jamestown seems to not have much of the black bars regardless of the moive aspect ratio.

my 2cents worth.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason his screen from jamestown seems to not have much of the black bars regardless of the moive aspect ratio.

Sounds like his screen is not 2.35:1 or wider. Does he have a standard 16:9 screen?

from what I can tell jametown doesn't give you a option, they claim the way they make there screens fits both very good. When we go to the projector calculator for 120" diag, the deminsions for horizontal and verticale, for both aspect ratio don't match up.

I'm not sure how they can claim that their screens fit both 16:9 and 2.35:1 since it's impossible to do so without masking. That's just simple geometry.

Unless they do something in the middle? (Yuck)

EDIT: Weird, it's not quite 16:9. http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/120_screenDiagonal.html says:

This is a 120 inch viewable custom design Jamestown Home Theater Screen in wide screen format. Viewable area is 59" by 104"

120" 16:9 is 59" x 105" so they are missing an inch in width.

I'm not sure how they can claim that their screens fit both 16:9 and 2.35:1 since it's impossible to do so without masking. That's just simple geometry.

Went to the website this morning and they don't claim, they just don't sell 2.35:1 from what I can tell you might be able to custom order but looks like he might have just ordered what he had seen on the website which is 16.9:1. Sorry for any confusion.

i am so glad i am not the only one. the black bars irritate me! i just deal with them because there is no use. like Youth said, until they standardize it ALL, you will have black bars no matter how much money you spend. i have to simply ignore it because my OCD issues will kick in and i'll try and design a whole new set up!

The yellow pixel thing "supposedly" has been technically bashed as a sales gimmick.

JJK

I have been more than happy with my 70". I have not had to have it calibrated and been very happy with the picture so far. I have seen other brands out of the box with really crappy picture. When I looked at these at costco two side by side one with the yellow and one without. There was a big difference in my opinion. If you do not "need" 3D its pretty good for what it is.

I propose they make TVs wider so that there is no black bars. I realize that 1.85 or 2.35 aspect would change the size of TVs needed so I say they need to standardize which they use to make movies so all movies from now on fit on the screen. I'm tired of 20% of my TV going unused!!!!

OK pointless rant, but it does bug me! Smile

You're right, it is a pointless rant. TV is currently broadcast in 4:3 and 16:9, but it's likely to drop 4:3 within a few years.

Movies, however, will be made in the format that suits the director's vision. Some movies call for a wide format, while others, perhaps for a more intimate atmosphere, work better with a narrower format. That's the nature of the art of making movies. Making them all the same cookie-cutter shape to fit a certain TV screen shape would be a compromise most producers, and even viewers, would not want.

I recently got a 65" HD TV, and when I first watched a 2.35 movie on it, I was glad I had not bought anything smaller. In any case, it was a vast improvement over the 35" 4:3 screen I'd been using up to then. I don't mind the bars on the top and bottom with wide-screen movies, nor the bars on the sides with 4:3 programming.

Movies at the cinema are come in various widths, but nobody complains about part of the screen being unlit, whether it's on the top and bottom, or on the sides.

If letter-boxing bothers you that much, you can:

A) Get a much larger TV and try to ignore the black bars.

B) Get a projector setup with enough screen room for all formats.

I propose they make TVs wider so that there is no black bars. I realize that 1.85 or 2.35 aspect would change the size of TVs needed so I say they need to standardize which they use to make movies so all movies from now on fit on the screen. I'm tired of 20% of my TV going unused!!!!

OK pointless rant, but it does bug me! Smile

You're right, it is a pointless rant. TV is currently broadcast in 4:3 and 16:9, but it's likely to drop 4:3 within a few years.

Movies, however, will be made in the format that suits the director's vision. Some movies call for a wide format, while others, perhaps for a more intimate atmosphere, work better with a narrower format. That's the nature of the art of making movies. Making them all the same cookie-cutter shape to fit a certain TV screen shape would be a compromise most producers, and even viewers, would not want.

I recently got a 65" HD TV, and when I first watched a 2.35 movie on it, I was glad I had not bought anything smaller. In any case, it was a vast improvement over the 35" 4:3 screen I'd been using up to then. I don't mind the bars on the top and bottom with wide-screen movies, nor the bars on the sides with 4:3 programming.

Movies at the cinema are come in various widths, but nobody complains about part of the screen being unlit, whether it's on the top and bottom, or on the sides.

If letter-boxing bothers you that much, you can:

A) Get a much larger TV and try to ignore the black bars.

B) Get a projector setup with enough screen room for all formats.

I think both of your suggestions have been made already, the point of the pointless rant was to stimulate conversation on the forum. Just to see what others think and see if others feel the same frustration I do with the multi sized formats out there. Nothing too serious really was expected to come from it.

The problem with A is that 20% of my screen goes unused regardless of how big I buy and still leaves me with that same feeling of wasted space, and B is a good idea but my current living room doesn't allow for a projector but I can see someday getting one if we buy a different house in a few years. Thats the plan for a few years down the road.

I just live with the bars, you have to decide on a format one way or the other and as has been said, there is no "standard" format for anyting more or less at the moment so we went with a 16x9 screen and live with the black bars on top and bottom of the screen.

About 6 months ago we bought the Sharp 60" Aquos and it has been a great set, awesome picture and in a different opinion from above, we looked specifically for a set with a matt screen as the glossy ones are SO anoying, much more than the black bars ever were. In the HT, the 120" projection set now is suffering from it's age. It is a 720 setup and I am used to the full rez of the Sharp, I setup the Xbox last night and the picture was not as good as I would have liked. OH WELL, when the bulb goes out, I guess it will be time for a new projector rather than just a bulb.

I think both of your suggestions have been made already, the point of the pointless rant was to stimulate conversation on the forum. Just to see what others think and see if others feel the same frustration I do with the multi sized formats out there. Nothing too serious really was expected to come from it.

The problem with A is that 20% of my screen goes unused regardless of how big I buy and still leaves me with that same feeling of wasted space, and B is a good idea but my current living room doesn't allow for a projector but I can see someday getting one if we buy a different house in a few years. Thats the plan for a few years down the road.

Do you watch any TV on your set? That should fill the screen, HD broadcasts anyway.