Try out some fancy speaker wires??

Coytee

I've always been (and still am) in the camp of simple wires for my needs. Works for me and sounds find.

I just read an old thread that popped up and had the same thoughts/giggles that I usually have.....then I thought... what if someone out there has a length or two that are currently unused that might allow me to try them?

I'd be willing to be honest with my thoughts and would have to say that my little apartment here in FL might not be the best listening environment. I'd have to do a mono left verses a mono right (since I'm biamping and would otherwise need four runs to go stereo)

If I cover shipping both ways, does someone have a pair of speaker wires that you are confident would open my eyes to the 'wow' factor of expensive wires?

Your current standard of performance is Carrol Cable brand, 12v outdoor low voltage wire. From what I've read, this should not be a difficult standard to blow to smithereens.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take you up on this. pm me with your address. send me a list of all the wires in your signal path (xlr or rca). lenths of speaker wires and # of runs. Type of termination on each end of the speaker wires.

For what it is worth? and this maybe very little...... I recently had some cables made by a gentleman in california that builds studios and has worked for and with over one hundred major recording artists. He boasted that his mogami cables which are nothing fancy or expensive, bested a pair of 10,000 dollar cables in a test performed at one of the studios he was working on. Everyone in the room agreed that his cables were better. I tried 3 pairs of his 2549 unbalanced interconnects with one of my systems. After I ran through about 5 of my favorite recordings they were yanked. Although the bass was a little tighter,and cleaner, the top end was to shrill, and my horns were vibrating more than I had ever heard. I spoke with one of my techs and he said that the cables need to burn in for at least 200 hours. I spoke with another tech and he said that is B- - - S- - -!!!!! It is interesting to note after receiving these cables I did a little research, and another site that builds cables described the 2549 as sounding very similar to what I was hearing. Once I dampen the horns it will be interesting to try these cables again.

Just so it's got a public reference point:

I'm referring to speaker wires, between amp/speaker.

I've got a mix of RCA/RCA and RCA/XLR in the system as patch cords. Those are now comprised of:

Mogami Neglex 2534 Quad cable http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Between my DVD, CD and DTV sources, the wires have Neutrik "Profi" ends http://www2.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_19991/NF2C-B_2_detail.aspx

These ends are connected + to + on each tip and the negative and sheath sections are joined on one end so the sheath can act as a drain. The joined/drained end of each wire is plugged into my Peach. This will allow the Peach to serve as a quasi 'star-ground' and ALL of the wires are setup so that all of the grounded ends are attached to the Peach. (I cheated and used the red end of each wire as 'ground' so that all I have to do is put the red end in the Peach and know which end it is)

From the Peach output to the Dx38 input, I have another Mogami run of wire. This time (and I'll admit I don't remember the specific mechanics to how it's soldered) I have the same Neutrik RCA ends but on the other end I have the Neutrik NC3FXX-B http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xx-series/nc3fxx-b

Going from the Dx38 output to the Crown K2 input I have the same Neutrik NC3FXX-B (male/female of course) on either end of yet more Mogami 2534.

From the outputs if the Crown's is where I have the Carroll Cable outdoor low voltage wire and frankly, that would be the easiest for me to fool with.

I have gone from some of the simple/cheesy patch cords that come with a DVD/CD type purchase and if there IS a difference, it's small....it certainly is not an "omg" type difference to my ears in my system in my house yada....yada.....yada.....

HA... I just remembered something.... and found it!

Several years ago, I sold something on Ebay. A guy who makes reeds for professional musicians bought the item I was selling and we ended up chatting several times.

Long story short, he sent me a length of his special speaker wire. I just now found it buried in the pile of stuff I brought down.

No name on the jacket that I can see but to describe this wire... it looks to be about 8g. There is a stranded "wire" as a center wire. Surrounding this center wire and twisted to boot, are what appear to be four more stranded wires. Combined these are about 8g in size. I'm basing this ONLY on memory of working with 12/2 type house wire as well as 10/3 house wire. These appear to be larger so I'm presuming they are 8g.

So the black/white wires are twisted... and then there is a woven sheath around them and a white vinyl/plastic cover.

He absolutely swore by these and sent me 15/20 feet as a gift. I'll have to get ends for them. I can (and will) play around with those now that I've found them.

If anyone around here (Jacksonville) wants to have a Saturday of boredom, you're welcome by and have you listen as well. John... Wade... are you reading?

Again, to be clear.... unless you have FOUR wires, each about 15' in length, I'm going to be restricted to doing a mono left verses a mono right. My electronics are on the left wall so I have logistic issues reaching the right speaker. Since I'm biamping, I'd perhaps need a pair of them or, if you feel it's better, I'll use a single wire on the bass bin OR put it on the tweeter. Matters not to me. Tell me where it works best.

What I would hope someone to do is say 'here's the wire.... and after installing it you should hear ____________________ difference in the sound"

Perhaps I shouldn't look at it that way but sometimes I need a nudge to see something it it's not hanging off my nose (obvious). Besides.... it would seem to me that the performance/sound of these wires should be predictable and repeatable, no?

so if we're all on the same page, I'd rather shy away from patch cords right now.

Fritz.... PM on way. Lemme know what/how to reimburse you and I'll PP it if that's acceptable.

I think it's a good idea, how else you'gonna be convinced? I'm in the camp that thinks there is a difference in cables but, that difference is from original unaltered to worse.I believe you can damage a signal but not make it better than original unaltered. Poor shielding on IC's or exotic/unusual metals in speaker cable can be a bad thing, but still, it can't be made better than it is by cables.I will be interested to see results, happy listening.

I'm still waiting for that guy to send me a pair of coat hangers to test. I'm not sure where to get 10 foot long hangers?

I have some 10 ga magnet wire which is just as good......once you go magnet wire...you wont go back

Find something better for your ears to do. Maybe somebody can send you some magic marbles.

the cables I will send him will be dusted with vintage tube dust for the very best in audio performance...shiped only in NOS newspaper.

Honest question to the 'wires do make a difference' crowd.....

I've pointed out that I've got some issues with length since my electronics are on the left.

Would you feel that a mono left speaker verses a mono right (left speaker having the fancy wire and right speaker staying with Carroll Cable) would be acceptable or must it be a stereo/stereo situation?

Asking to try to air out some legit circumstances and give anyone a fair chance before this happens to tell me the 3.593 reasons why using mono/mono is a bad (or fantastic) idea. I'd rather discuss that idea/shortcoming now instead of after I ship something back and then be told that my method was terribly (verses miserably) flawed.

There will be nothing scientific about this, just me here alone messing around trying to be open minded.

Right now, I've just finished replacing the tweeter wire (K402) and pulled out the Carroll Cable 12g in lieu of the 'fancy' 8g wire that was given to me and described above.

The left bass bin is using the original Carroll Cable so out of four connections, I'm this very minute, using three Carroll Cable and one 8g wire. I've just finished the tweeter wire and don't want to wrestle this wire so soon for the bass bin. Maybe tomorrow.

That said.... I'm not yet noticing any noticable difference in sound (listening to news however, I did go through a couple quick songs in stereo, not mono / mono)

Just mentioning this so that I can be better guided & corrected as to how to better do a side by side given the constraints I have (no double blind, mono/mono, solid state amps....)

Just so it's got a public reference point:

I'm referring to speaker wires, between amp/speaker.

I've got a mix of RCA/RCA and RCA/XLR in the system as patch cords. Those are now comprised of:

Mogami Neglex 2534 Quad cable http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Between my DVD, CD and DTV sources, the wires have Neutrik "Profi" ends http://www2.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_19991/NF2C-B_2_detail.aspx

These ends are connected + to + on each tip and the negative and sheath sections are joined on one end so the sheath can act as a drain. The joined/drained end of each wire is plugged into my Peach. This will allow the Peach to serve as a quasi 'star-ground' and ALL of the wires are setup so that all of the grounded ends are attached to the Peach. (I cheated and used the red end of each wire as 'ground' so that all I have to do is put the red end in the Peach and know which end it is)

From the Peach output to the Dx38 input, I have another Mogami run of wire. This time (and I'll admit I don't remember the specific mechanics to how it's soldered) I have the same Neutrik RCA ends but on the other end I have the Neutrik NC3FXX-B http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xx-series/nc3fxx-b

Going from the Dx38 output to the Crown K2 input I have the same Neutrik NC3FXX-B (male/female of course) on either end of yet more Mogami 2534.

From the outputs if the Crown's is where I have the Carroll Cable outdoor low voltage wire and frankly, that would be the easiest for me to fool with.

I have gone from some of the simple/cheesy patch cords that come with a DVD/CD type purchase and if there IS a difference, it's small....it certainly is not an "omg" type difference to my ears in my system in my house yada....yada.....yada.....

HA... I just remembered something.... and found it!

Several years ago, I sold something on Ebay. A guy who makes reeds for professional musicians bought the item I was selling and we ended up chatting several times.

Long story short, he sent me a length of his special speaker wire. I just now found it buried in the pile of stuff I brought down.

No name on the jacket that I can see but to describe this wire... it looks to be about 8g. There is a stranded "wire" as a center wire. Surrounding this center wire and twisted to boot, are what appear to be four more stranded wires. Combined these are about 8g in size. I'm basing this ONLY on memory of working with 12/2 type house wire as well as 10/3 house wire. These appear to be larger so I'm presuming they are 8g.

So the black/white wires are twisted... and then there is a woven sheath around them and a white vinyl/plastic cover.

He absolutely swore by these and sent me 15/20 feet as a gift. I'll have to get ends for them. I can (and will) play around with those now that I've found them.

If anyone around here (Jacksonville) wants to have a Saturday of boredom, you're welcome by and have you listen as well. John... Wade... are you reading?

Again, to be clear.... unless you have FOUR wires, each about 15' in length, I'm going to be restricted to doing a mono left verses a mono right. My electronics are on the left wall so I have logistic issues reaching the right speaker. Since I'm biamping, I'd perhaps need a pair of them or, if you feel it's better, I'll use a single wire on the bass bin OR put it on the tweeter. Matters not to me. Tell me where it works best.

What I would hope someone to do is say 'here's the wire.... and after installing it you should hear ____________________ difference in the sound"

Perhaps I shouldn't look at it that way but sometimes I need a nudge to see something it it's not hanging off my nose (obvious). Besides.... it would seem to me that the performance/sound of these wires should be predictable and repeatable, no?

so if we're all on the same page, I'd rather shy away from patch cords right now.

Fritz.... PM on way. Lemme know what/how to reimburse you and I'll PP it if that's acceptable.

so far...I got out of this.....4 pairs 15ft in lenth. Need to know what type of connectors are involved on both ends.

on your interconnects...can you do straigh rca or straight xlr? I don't have any xlr convertd to rca and vs versa.

do you want to try a balanced power transformer while you are at it? how many watts/amps does your system draw?