More Ebay madness

Guest " "

It never ceases to amaze me. Had a buyer buy some tubes on a clearly marked no return, no warranty, no refund, no exchange, no adjustment listing which were new and test on my tube tester that has settings for the indicated tube. Buyer emails me and says he tested them on his model XYZ tube tester and they barely passed. I checked the model tester he was using and it did not have settings for the tube in question. I asked him how did he test the tubes and he indicated using a comparable tube method. Problem is there is no tube subsitute for the tube in question. So anyway, I said if the shipping materials indicate the item may have been damaged in shipment lt me know and I will assist in an insurance claim. never hear back from the buyer.

30 days later I get a paypal work it out dispute notice with the buyers comments and instructions to me to respond in 7 days or the case will be decided in the buyers favor. I responded with the same instructions concerning shipping damaged and indicated if the shipping box shows signs of damage, return the orginal item and the orginal shipping materials and I will process the insurance claim. Never hear back from the buyer. And the dispute shows pending buyers response.

day #8 since the buyer did not respond, I esculated the claim requestion it be closed due to lack of buyer action (one of the choices). I get a response back that the dispute was decided in the buyers favor and as soon as tracking shows delivery, he will be given a refund out of my funds.

I get the subject return, and no original shipping materials, not even the original new tubes....buyer sent me back his used old tubes and one was shorted out. Called ebay and they responded that buyers don't do stuff like that, I must be mistaken about what I sent him which explains why he filed a not as discribed claim. Their closing comments were to factor in losses and damages in my pricing structure so I can continue to use ebay successfully while providing customers with the best possible service.

Speakerfritz, sorry to hear your story! Ebay can be lame. I recently started to unload unwanted gear on the bay. I have a 100% satisfaction rating and recently ebay says that they are going to freeze my account for 21 days after sales. Reason, " I have a higher than average refunds" , which in total equals 1. This is after a buyer complained to me that a light was not working on a receiver needle, and I refunded him 60.00 dollars. He was fine with this and so was I. In the ebay photos that I placed it was clearly working. Next I ran into a flake I sold some NOS reals to, and lost money because shipping was over 20.00. He received the items yet kept telling me that he didnt, and was sending me daily messages that made no sense what so ever in broken english. Finally he admitted he had them. I think he was phising, because mysteriously, someone used my paypal account to buy something without permission, Ebay said we must of made the purchase and essentially stick it!!! Then he sends me a Merry X-mass greating!! Ebay is not very friendly to sellers it seems. I closed my account quickly.

and recently ebay says that they are going to freeze my account for 21
days after sales. Reason, " I have a higher than average refunds" ,
which in total equals 1.

oh....so I guess that means the plot will get more interesting.....I have 600 transactions....no negs....no returns...no nothing...so this one incident will problly get my funds frozen for 21 days as well.

I was thinking about listing some items on ebay but you have me a bit worried. Sucks when people don't do the right thing and it's getting worse all the time. I have customers try and stiff me a lot and try and get something for nothing, it's a real shame.

Speakerfritz, after my incident, I did some reading, and it seems that ebay often does things like this. From there standpoint it is brilliant as they hold peoples funds they make money on the interest. I found many blogs where people are very upset with some of there policys, some of the individuals have sold thousands of things with excellent feedback, and out of the blue, have been either restricted from selling items, to holds on accounts, to limits on the number of things they can sell per month. I hope none of this happens to you!!!

I don't use Ebay for any reason any more. I have had too many idiotic issues both buying and selling. I also do not use PayPal for anything, any more for pretty much the same reasons. What I see are systems that recognize that they are in irreversible decline who will snake funds their way regardless of the consequences. In other words any and all of their customers are now considered disposable for a few pennies extra profit.

That is total [bs] I was thinking how that might be avoided...maybe by having pictures for proof of product sent, but from their responses to you, I don't even know if that would have done any good. It sucks that both e-bay and paypal stood up for the buyer without even listening to you. I guess it is sometimes unavoidable in a virtual marketplace, but do not forget who is at fault here...the con-artist who is swapping tubes on you. Unfortunantly Ebay and PayPal have turned into a buyer's marketplace...sellers get screwed, but it is always a "safe place to buy" which means more sellers want to sell there because they get top dollar, and they get more money. Although the ease of click and pay is nice, sometimes I miss the days when you actually had to mail out a money order or check. But most the buyers and sellers were honest in the late 90's when it was not a global industry.

I haven't sold anything on eBay for at least a couple years. But back then I sold some tubes dirt cheap to another eBay seller.

He sent a personal email thanking myself for the tubes. And mentioned a few things to watch out for when listing items.

Years ago, eBay changed it's rules/philosophy to "the buyer is always right" regardless...

He told if you get in a dispute, you best just refund the guy and eat it. Because in the end, it'll be the seller that will get jacked. The buyer always wins... Notice how they defended the buyer when he didn't even ship the original tubes back that you sent him after the dispute/refund, Speakerfritz.

A buyer wouldn't do that sort of thing...Gimme a break... The guy clearly took advantage of the "the buyer is always right" philosophy. And you know other buyers are doing the same thing to other sellers...

I don't think you can leave negative feedback for buyers, anymore?

Don't they release the funds from the 21 day hold after the gheypal payment has been received, and feedback left from the buyer?

I don't think you can leave negative feedback for buyers, anymore?

no you cant,

Don't they release the funds from the 21 day hold after the gheypal payment has been received, and feedback left from the buyer?

they release funds in 21 days or if tracking shows delivery. But the can go in and put funds on hold if the buyer submites a dispute.

That is total PWK BS Button I was thinking how that might be avoided...maybe by having pictures for proof of product sent, but from their responses to you, I don't even know if that would have done any good. .

got plenty of common sense proof....pictures of item, pictures of test results, pictures of test equipment, pictures of manual for item test settings. the real pisser is that I priced the item to blow it out at about half what they normally sell for.

anyway, just sharing the story to put more color to this crazy picture.

It isn't just fleabay and paypal,and it isnt new.

Years ago, my parrents had an RV repair shop. They had a secratery and they had just bought the business and need her. She quit for a higher paying job at another shop. She was then fired from the other shop for not being able to do the job. She then moved to Washington state (from Ca.) and filed for unemployment insurance against my parrents! My folks replied that she had quit and was not fired, they also said they need her and were willing to give her the old job back, with a raise. The case was decided AGAINST my folks and they had to pay for her to not have a job in another state for over a year!

Another time, they had a customer leave their coach for some repair work. The customer was told in clear terms, do not leave anything in the coach espically food as the refers were NOT going to be turned on and that the shop was not going to be responsable for anything left esp. food. This was also on the repair contract in large type just above the line they signed. There was NO food in the coach yet after the customer picked it up after the work was done, they filed a complaint with the consumer affairs board, turned in a recept for food that had supposidly spoiled and they were awarded the claim!

One of their customers had relayed a story to them about the customers company. The customer was a concrete contractor. They were hired to remove a driveway and pour a custom colored concrete one. The customer was home when the new concrete was poured, the customer was told that as this was a custom color, there would be no way to change it after the job was done. The customer approved the color and when the concrete contractor left the customer was happy. A few days later the concrete contractor received a complaint that the color was completely wrong and that the customer wanted a cash settlement in exchange for the wrong color.

The contractor said don't worry, we will fix it. The next day the contractor showed up and started jackhammering out the new concrete that was poured. The customer came running out of the house yelling to stop and what the heck was the contractor doing! The contractor told the customer that it was clear that there was no way that they could make him happy so the contractor was removing the "defective" concrete and told the customer to find a new contractor to pour the driveway as there was no way the origional contractor was going to make the customer happy.

The contractor said he lost a fortune on the job but it was worth it as at least the chissler would not get the discount he so desperatly wanted.... that and good luck explaining to anyone else why the job was removed.

So this STUFF has been around for a long time but it has only bitten you recently. Granted though the internet makes it a bit easier to do now.

It isn't just fleabay and paypal,and it isnt new.

Years ago, my parrents had an RV repair shop. They had a secratery and they had just bought the business and need her. She quit for a higher paying job at another shop. She was then fired from the other shop for not being able to do the job. She then moved to Washington state (from Ca.) and filed for unemployment insurance against my parrents! My folks replied that she had quit and was not fired, they also said they need her and were willing to give her the old job back, with a raise. The case was decided AGAINST my folks and they had to pay for her to not have a job in another state for over a year!

Another time, they had a customer leave their coach for some repair work. The customer was told in clear terms, do not leave anything in the coach espically food as the refers were NOT going to be turned on and that the shop was not going to be responsable for anything left esp. food. This was also on the repair contract in large type just above the line they signed. There was NO food in the coach yet after the customer picked it up after the work was done, they filed a complaint with the consumer affairs board, turned in a recept for food that had supposidly spoiled and they were awarded the claim!

One of their customers had relayed a story to them about the customers company. The customer was a concrete contractor. They were hired to remove a driveway and pour a custom colored concrete one. The customer was home when the new concrete was poured, the customer was told that as this was a custom color, there would be no way to change it after the job was done. The customer approved the color and when the concrete contractor left the customer was happy. A few days later the concrete contractor received a complaint that the color was completely wrong and that the customer wanted a cash settlement in exchange for the wrong color.

The contractor said don't worry, we will fix it. The next day the contractor showed up and started jackhammering out the new concrete that was poured. The customer came running out of the house yelling to stop and what the heck was the contractor doing! The contractor told the customer that it was clear that there was no way that they could make him happy so the contractor was removing the "defective" concrete and told the customer to find a new contractor to pour the driveway as there was no way the origional contractor was going to make the customer happy.

The contractor said he lost a fortune on the job but it was worth it as at least the chissler would not get the discount he so desperatly wanted.... that and good luck explaining to anyone else why the job was removed.

So this STUFF has been around for a long time but it has only bitten you recently. Granted though the internet makes it a bit easier to do now.

great examples

I have been selling some items on ebay from around the house to just thin out my closest for more audio stuff as well. I noticed a charge called a "shipping fee". SO I called ebay, they said it was to encourage sellers to ship for free. I guess buyers were complaining to ebay about high shipping prices, so ebay came back and now charges fees on the fee you charge to ship! CRAZY!!! So if you ship for free, there is no fee. Now when I sell something on ebay, I pay a ebay fee, ebay shipping fee, listing fee (which is waived if you sell less then 50 items per month) and a paypal fee! Gees come on folks, when its all said and done im not really making anything on this!

Had a similar thing happen to me on an older CT-S88R Pioneer cassette deck. Same verbiage as your's in the listing, it seems it does not matter. I had to call and plead my case after he filed the PayPal claim. I kept all his email correspondence and highlighted and forwarded it to arbitrator. The user manual specifically stated no C-120 tapes which is what the idiot was using (recorded talk radio) and the unit kept stopping during the recording process "what a surprise" I got he deck back and it was playing slow because the moron stretched the belts. He got his money, I got mine. eBay ate the rest. I took the deck to the dump and put it in the "reuse" zone. I rarely sell anything on eBay anymore and I have a flawless record after over 10 yrs.

To many scammers and dumb people out there.

I have had 3 issues with eBay after 11+? years selling I started

just after they changed the name to eBay.

No1, Guy had signed for a package he claimed he did not

get. CHARGEBACK no way to argue with eBay.

No2, Sold a R2D2 cookie jar to a guy that claimed it broke

after I shipped it in a box several time the size of the jar with the

lid and jar packed separately surrounded with more bubble wrap taped

to the jar. Near impossible to break, so I asked for a picture and if

it was broken I would refund plus shipping the winning bid price

ASAP. Needless to say there was never a picture sent. CHARGEBACK

no way to argue with eBay.

No3, Sold a NIB laptop to a guy everything was fine till

3months later with no communication what so ever eBay informs me that

the buyers card failed and they won't help getting the laptop back

but they will be happy to keep/seize the proceeds of the NIB PS3 I

listed 10min ago. ALL of the above eBay issues were decided in the

buyers favor after giving eBay anything they asked for in documents

and eBay only EVER sending Boilerplate nondescript emails in return.

eBay is too big to care about YOUR profits or issues.

CHARGEBACK no way to argue with eBay, I

ended that PS3 listing on the spot and never sold again...

I only buy now, and

only if I can't get it anywhere else.

Yes there have been buyer issues too but I won't get into that...