to all klipsch fans

mario jr

to all klipsch fans!!!!!!

I heard that a lot of people say that klipsch speakers sound horny and very harsh but they are full of **** . Ok if you feed these speakers junk meaning cheap equipment then they would sound dull, or with any kind of receiver because to be honest with you, you cant get the true sound of klipsch through any receiver because they just dont let out enough power per channal thats the bottom line. what you need is a high current seperate power amp. 200 watts or more per channal because klipsch need to be fed some power and those horns!! they are killer, on any speaker of klipsch.

ON ANOTHER SUBJECT!

this is to every body that owns klipsch speakers!!

rather just owning the bookshelfs, or the big monsters that kilpsch made, IF you want to hear those kilpsch horns shine then listen to PETER FRAMPTONS, FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE! album. and to track 6 on disk 2 the song is called "do you feel like we do" and hear him playing that talkbox MAN!!!!! It will bring you to tears!

but make sure you play it very loud!

on my RF-7's they sound unbeiveable_

cwm12.gif

If you aren't aware yet, Klipsch speakers are very efficient and require very little power to drive them to unlistenable levels. A number of people on this board use 3w/ch (and less) amps to drive their Heritage speakers. Most of these speakers are rated at over 100db @ 1w/1m (as are the Ref 7's). It's the first watt that counts regarding these speakers. I too have a separate 200w/ch amp driving my Chorus's, but it's really just overkill. BTW, how old are you? Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mario,

Do you have a Rat Shack SPL meter? If you do, turn the volume up until you are hitting peaks of 101db on your RF7's. If you are 3 meters away, it is only using approximately 3 watts of power to generate that sound level. It's pretty loud, isn't it? As a rule, louder than you will listen to the system 95% of the time. That is why a lot of people go for the cleanest 3 watts they can get their hands on, because they know that's all the volume they will ever need. A number of members have done away with Solid State receivers and amps, and have went the low-powered tube route for this very reason...

Mike

While your doing the SPL check also take a volt/ohm meter and put it on an AC 10 volt scale. Connect the gator clips to the speaker's posts while playing them at that 101db SPL and see what happens. Pretty low reading (1 watt = 2.83 AC volts), eh?.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-17-2002 at 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Mario jr.:ON ANOTHER SUBJECT!

this is to every body that owns klipsch speakers!!

rather just owning the bookshelfs, or the big monsters that kilpsch made, IF you want to hear those kilpsch horns shine then listen to PETER FRAMPTONS, FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE! album. and to track 6 on disk 2 the song is called "do you feel like we do" and hear him playing that talkbox MAN!!!!! It will bring you to tears!

DUDE! This classic song sounds good on an AM pocket radio for crying out loud. BTW, I hate you for making me feel old(ok, I'm over it now) because I was 18 when the song was released...YOU SHOULD HAVE HEARD IT IN CONCERT. THERE, got you back, LOLOLOL!

quote:

Originally posted by mario jr:

MIKE are you telling me that you can just use 3 watts to some klipsch speakers and still have that big sound!!

by the way Im 18 years old

Well, mario, I own LaScalas, I'm 24 years old, I listen to rock, techno; electro, jazz, classical, sometimes at horrendously loud levels; for those horrendously loud levels, my 2 x 45 WRMS SS amp is more than enough. I even tried a 2 x 15 W ss amp and still amazed by how loud it goes...

BUT

3 w/channel is enough only with high quality tube amps, because tube amps still sound good when driven hard. Most SS amps don't.

So don't try it with a 3W SS amp (ya know, that old ghettoblaster...), it will go loud, but you won't have bass to talk about and it'll sound awful...

Frans

PS with 200W, take care of your hearing!!!!

The hell with his hearing, I'm more worried about him blowing a woofer!!! Will somebody direct this young man to an understanding of accuracy and efficiency...and how bragging about how many watts you have is like bragging about getting 2 MPG in your car?

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lindsey:

Soundjunkie,

I think I'm the same age as you. I will be 43 on Tuesday. Those were the days, eh?
Smile.gif

Mike

If I take time from my busy, mindless life to give some thought to it, it seems like a lifetime ago. Couldn't be MORE different if it were the moon.

cwm1.gif BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ya OLD FART.

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 05-17-2002 at 06:39 PM

It takes twice the energy to add 6dB as I understand the question. This is particularly appropriate for anticipating subwoofer performance since one great sub may reach 116dB... but it takes another duplicate sub on the same source material to boost it 6dB to reach "reference level" as recorded under the Dolby Digital approach.

The deeper you go... the more air that needs to be moved... with speed and precision... to make those long (30+ feet!) waves. -HornED

24years ago I was shopping for our Heresys. Audio Fidelity did a demo of the low power requirements of Klipsch loudspeakers. They used a pocket transistor radio(does anybody remember these?) not a Walkman. The K-Horns were connected to the earphone jack and the sound was stupendous.

Tom, you're talking about power required to drive a speaker to a SPL, Doug's talking about the measured loss of SPL as you move away from a speaker, and John's talking about SPL added by an additional speaker/pair, I guess?

Keith

EDIT> OOPS, forgot to uncheck sig. HEY! I gotta change that too!

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 05-18-2002 at 11:15 AM

I wonder if anyone has hooked up their pro media to a pair of K horns yet????

Just a thought. I heard the "pocket radio" demo with a pair of Heresey's when I was all of 12- 13 yrs old. It was amazing. The "trick" was to geta GOOD pocket radio to start with.

I, too, saw Peter Frampton in all his glory..."Do you feel like we dooooooo..ahhh thats true.. I want to thank you...." Like everyone...I loved it to. Btw he is back on tour and sounds even better now. I saw the older but better Peter on a demo piece at the local stereo store demo-ing satalite TV.

I recently bought a re release on BMG special promotions disc. Peter Frampton. If you can imagine 16 min of "Do you feel".. Ok over kill, but awesome!!!

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 05-18-2002 at 11:24 AM

Dougdrake,

To answer your question re determining SPL "fall off" with distance, SPL falls off in accordance with the inverse square law. This means for each doubling of distance, the SPL will read 6.02 dB lower than the previous measurement.

Mathematically, you can easily compute this sound pressure level if you start with a known reference (SPLref) and a known distance from your loudspeaker (Dref). The SPL (SPLnew) is . Now for indoor measurements this inverse "law" only applies in the free field of your listening space which lies between the near field and reverberant field. In the non-free field areas, the density of the sound energy is pretty uniform.

Of course, outdoor SPL measurements (away from boundaries), follow the inverse law from the cone of the driver to as far away as you care to measure.

Hope that helps.