Fine Food and Music

Boxx

Neighborhood party on Saturday that my wife and I put together every year, and everyone local to us is invited....PM me and I'll send the address. Starts at 4PM. Tons of food and tunes. Really great people here, we are lucky to have found this place.

Got 30lbs of pork butt ready for the smoker. Half is coated with my wife's apple butter and Corky's Rub, the other half with yellow mustard and Strawberry's BBQ rub. Also cooking 8 full racks of ribs, Italian sausage/peppers/onions, hot dogs, and burgers for the kiddies....Shelly is making mango mojitos, and mulberry margaritas....Should be a great time, and I'll take pics of the music setup.

Photos of the pork butt after prep:

attachicon.gifIMG_2014.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2015.JPG

you dont leave them in any kind of tray when smoking do you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you referring to the pork belly, or the butts?  The belly I just placed on a sheet of foil in the smoker until it hit 160, then wrapped with foil and placed in a tray to contain any runaway juices.....  The butts go directly on the grates for 7 hours or so, then I wrap them with foil, put them in a tray and cook until 190.  Then will again put in a cooler for an hour or two.  30 lbs of butt went on at 7:30am....wow it smells great outside.  Beautiful day here.

• Like 2

Here are the butts after 9 hours at about 225 degrees.  Just hit 160 internal temp, wrapped them in foil, and back on for about another 3 hours until 190 temp, and the bone slides out easily.  Look good to me....

attachicon.gifIMG_2022.JPG

I've only used these for pulled pork sandwiches.  Are you doing the same, or using them differently?  I can't see them slicing like brisket.  I pretty much can only envision pulling them apart for pulled pork or to stock beans, stews or soups.

• Like 1

Here are the butts after 9 hours at about 225 degrees.  Just hit 160 internal temp, wrapped them in foil, and back on for about another 3 hours until 190 temp, and the bone slides out easily.  Look good to me....

Is that an ugly drum smoker, I have one and love it.  Even at 225 things seem to cook a little bit faster, but they still come out great.  Some of the best food I have smoked is on something so simple.

I can't see them slicing like brisket.

I have pulled them at 175-180 and was able to slice it nicely like brisket, and it is very good that way as well.

I want to make pulled pork mines going on 6 hrs at 225 and just hit 145 internal temp

Sometimes it will stall out at between that and 160,  give it about an hour and wrap it in foil.  Once it hits 185-190, you can remove it and let it set for 15-20 mins to let the juices flow through out.  Then it should pull apart nicely. 

I haven't used one of these but I have read they work great.

http://www.amazon.com/Shredder-Pulled-Chicken-Potato-Masher/dp/B00890L4HG/ref=sr_1_11?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440197405&sr=1-11&keywords=pull+pork+puller

• Like 2

I want to make pulled pork mines going on 6 hrs at 225 and just hit 145 internal temp

Sometimes it will stall out at between that and 160,  give it about an hour and wrap it in foil.  Once it hits 185-190, you can remove it and let it set for 15-20 mins to let the juices flow through out.  Then it should pull apart nicely. 

I haven't used one of these but I have read they work great.

http://www.amazon.com/Shredder-Pulled-Chicken-Potato-Masher/dp/B00890L4HG/ref=sr_1_11?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440197405&sr=1-11&keywords=pull+pork+puller

I saw one of those being used once worked good , 8.5 pounds with bone and this is been cooking since noon . I just checked it again and its at 165 now , might be a long night 

• Like 1

Here are the butts after 9 hours at about 225 degrees. Just hit 160 internal temp, wrapped them in foil, and back on for about another 3 hours until 190 temp, and the bone slides out easily. Look good to me....

Is that an ugly drum smoker, I have one and love it. Even at 225 things seem to cook a little bit faster, but they still come out great. Some of the best food I have smoked is on something so simple.

I have pulled them at 175-180 and was able to slice it nicely like brisket, and it is very good that way as well.

Yes it is an ugly drum smoker. Once you figure out how to use it properly, it is totally reliable and sticks at 225° or thereabouts…I built it about eight years ago and it works like a charm

• Like 2

speaker setup for tomorrow.  My refurbed La Scala's, my refurb LSI split, Def Tech sub, Yamaha THX receiver, Schiit Bifrost DAC, my laptop streaming a mix I've put together over the last few weeks to try and satisfy most of the neighbors music preferences....tough to do....but hey, it's a party...should be a beautiful day.  Hope you all are not tired of seeing this...Kind of funny, my wife usually doesn't make many comments regarding my gear, but tonight she said...You know, that sounds so good, even Country music isn't  bad.......I love her.

post-12530-0-76920000-1440208876_thumb.j

post-12530-0-93720000-1440208888_thumb.j

• Like 3

Here are the butts after 9 hours at about 225 degrees. Just hit 160 internal temp, wrapped them in foil, and back on for about another 3 hours until 190 temp, and the bone slides out easily. Look good to me....

Is that an ugly drum smoker, I have one and love it. Even at 225 things seem to cook a little bit faster, but they still come out great. Some of the best food I have smoked is on something so simple.

Yes it is an ugly drum smoker. Once you figure out how to use it properly, it is totally reliable and sticks at 225° or thereabouts…I built it about eight years ago and it works like a charm

Lots of folks have heard of the Pinion method for heating a smoker, but if you haven't, let me know.  Definitely the way to do it.

• Like 1

I haven't used one of these but I have read they work great. http://www.amazon.co...ull pork puller

I have done pulled pork about 5 times in the last year or so.  Every time, it pulls apart with 2 forks.  It just falls apart like buttering toast with warm butter.  That tool is not necessary. 

I haven't need one either, but the videos look cool seeing people use them.

• Like 1