Fine Food and Music

Boxx

• Moderators

Pork loin question for the Qers.  I am smoking some ribs tomorrow and also have a pork loin.  I have never smoked a loin before since it is lean.  Does anyone have any recipes and/or tips?  It has been soaking in apple juice like the ribs.

I know I am late to answer this and it's more on the cooking not the seasoning. I always cook pork loin to a internal temp of 135 degrees however you cook it and then remove from heat. 

It will be juicy and tender, like a good steak,  if cooked more it will only become more dry and tough like you see most pork cooked, which has that white color, if it's white all the way through it's over cooked. At 135 its very slightly pink in the center, kind of medium well at most, it's safe look it up.

Most people cooked pork way to much in the past, it's not needed, we have been doing this for a long time now and never have a problem, it's a completely different texture and taste. 

We cook pork loin a lot, because we like it and because most of the time we get it cheaper than chicken.

Ignore if you do this already, but if you do you know what I'm saying.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Eating pork?  All the poor guy wanted to do was grow up and go to pig college and maybe make it into the cartoons someday, and he ends up in your smoker ... oh the humanity.

Yes he does, and we appreciate him, I :wub: smoked pork, the ribs, butt and loin.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Something different to try is stuffed pork loin.

Cut the pork loin about 1/3 it's thickness the length of the loin but not all the way through, then cut the last part in half so it lays open like a equally thick flat sheet of pork.

Somewhat cook what ever you want to stuff it with so you don't have to over cook the loin to have the stuffing cooked. I think we stuffed this one with some pineapple, bell peppers and some hot sausage. 

Add the stuffing to the top and roll it up and cook, it may need a few toothpics or string to hold it together while it cooks. Season with whatever you like or what would go with the stuffing ?

post-9700-0-80600000-1436334195_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-60880000-1436334211_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-02640000-1436334224_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• Moderators

I didn't make this up, I just copied it. It's called a fatty, if you were to look it up

Depending on the ingredients used (you will see why) start with ground pork the little tubes like breakfast sausage works fine for breakfast flavored Fattys. If it's not breakfast flavored just use ground pork, it also comes in tubes like breakfast sausage but without that flavor.

Use a big piece of aluminum foil to put it on, it will be cooked on it anyway. Shape the ground pork similar to the stuffed loin, a flat rectangle shape about 1/2" thick and whatever size you like.  

The stuffing, this is the part that can vary greatly depending on whatever flavor you want, I have heard of dozens of different stuffing's that sound good. Just for a couple of ideas, if it's breakfast flavor add cooked hashbrowns or potatoes, eggs or whatever you like. some ideas other than breakfast flavors are like pizza Fattys, use whatever you like on your pizza. This is the part that's only limited by what combination you can think would taste good together. 

Adding the stuffing to the center you roll up all the edges to form a complete shell around stuffing sealing it in. This is why you want the stuffing cooked first.

Not required but always good is to now wrap the outside with uncooked bacon, the one pictured is my first attempt with the bacon it was not pretty but worked.

Now smoke or cook until the pork is done along with the bacon, leave it cool a little and cut it up. I don't remember what is in this one but it looks like bell peppers and cheese and something else ? 

post-9700-0-10200000-1436335610_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-74240000-1436335668_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-12720000-1436335682_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-44960000-1436335695_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Pork on the smoker.  Put a nice browning on the loin, then coated in molasses, wrapped in an eight piece basket weave of bacon and dusted with my home made essence of Emeril without the salt.  Ribs are done the usual way with salt, essence and brown sugar.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like that browning part, it's adds a great taste when some of the fatty side of the loin burns a little, never tried the molasses, sounds good.

It's also raining so it is kind of fun to see the steam coming off the smoker as the drops hit.

:D It's a lot easier this time of the year if it rains, if it's 80-90 degrees it's nothing to keep it 225 or a little more.

I like everything about smoking, it even makes it smell great outside.

What kind of wood do you like ? I don't have much choice, it's usually oak and a little hickory if I can find it, with a little pecan or fruit wood on occasion.    

I didn't make this up, I just copied it. It's called a fatty, if you were to look it up

Depending on the ingredients used (you will see why) start with ground pork the little tubes like breakfast sausage works fine for breakfast flavored Fattys. If it's not breakfast flavored just use ground pork, it also comes in tubes like breakfast sausage but without that flavor.

Use a big piece of aluminum foil to put it on, it will be cooked on it anyway. Shape the ground pork similar to the stuffed loin, a flat rectangle shape about 1/2" thick and whatever size you like.  

The stuffing, this is the part that can vary greatly depending on whatever flavor you want, I have heard of dozens of different stuffing's that sound good. Just for a couple of ideas, if it's breakfast flavor add cooked hashbrowns or potatoes, eggs or whatever you like. some ideas other than breakfast flavors are like pizza Fattys, use whatever you like on your pizza. This is the part that's only limited by what combination you can think would taste good together. 

Adding the stuffing to the center you roll up all the edges to form a complete shell around stuffing sealing it in. This is why you want the stuffing cooked first.

Not required but always good is to now wrap the outside with uncooked bacon, the one pictured is my first attempt with the bacon it was not pretty but worked.

Now smoke or cook until the pork is done along with the bacon, leave it cool a little and cut it up. I don't remember what is in this one but it looks like bell peppers and cheese and something else ? 

I enjoy rolling up a fatty from time to time.  Most of the time I take a short cut and start with something like the Jimmy Dean original flavor fresh sausage.  While I see that many people use the thick sliced bacon, I tend to use the regular sliced because it seems to crisp up better for me.  I don't get too crazy for the inside and will often use a variety of cheeses; such as provolone, parmesan, romano, fontina and asiago.

Slice up and stacked on fresh baked biscuits with eggs, dice up and fry the smoked potatoes on the side, add some breakfast music to the mix and it doesn't seem to get much better than this. Of course, I'm now thinking about a mix where I can use some of the Hawaiian Firecracker hot sauce. 

Smoked Bacon Fatty.jpg

Something different to try is stuffed pork loin.

Cut the pork loin about 1/3 it's thickness the length of the loin but not all the way through, then cut the last part in half so it lays open like a equally thick flat sheet of pork.

Somewhat cook what ever you want to stuff it with so you don't have to over cook the loin to have the stuffing cooked. I think we stuffed this one with some pineapple, bell peppers and some hot sausage. 

Add the stuffing to the top and roll it up and cook, it may need a few toothpics or string to hold it together while it cooks. Season with whatever you like or what would go with the stuffing ?

These look AWESOME!  I can't wait to try this. :P

• Moderators

Same here.  I buy hickory, and get oak from the yard, and a little bit of fruit wood.  My pecans are getting bigger, someday I should get some pecan as well.

Always have Oak because we heat the house with a wood burning stove and buy it by the cord.

The good and bad things about pecans is they tend to lose branches pretty easily, which is good for smoking. there are a pretty good bit of pecan groves here and if you ask they will let you pick up branches that fall off. Problem is I'm not crazy about pecan, hickory is by far my favorite and usually kind of hard to find because everyone is using it.

I wonder if you could use pecan shells on the fire to add flavor ?

Edited by dtel