Fine Food and Music

Boxx

I must cook a lot lower and slower because a big piece of pork like that takes me a good 15 to 18 hours or so of smoking.  190 is low to me I would go at least 195.  Another thing I have found out is unlike ribs or brisket, it is impossible to put too much smoke into a pork butt.  The dimensions make it hard to get smoke flavor all the way through.  Here's the thing.  throw out the thermo and use the bone wiggle method of doneness.  when that bone is loosy goosy it's ready to rest.  To be fair go ahead and check with a thermo too if you really need to know.  once you get experience you will know the temp from the feel of the bone.  You just started using your smoker.  They all have a learning curve.

• Like 1

I must cook a lot lower and slower because a big piece of pork like that takes me a good 15 to 18 hours or so of smoking. 190 is low to me I would go at least 195. Another thing I have found out is unlike ribs or brisket, it is impossible to put too much smoke into a pork butt. The dimensions make it hard to get smoke flavor all the way through. Here's the thing. throw out the thermo and use the bone wiggle method of doneness. when that bone is loosy goosy it's ready to rest. To be fair go ahead and check with a thermo too if you really need to know. once you get experience you will know the temp from the feel of the bone. You just started using your smoker. They all have a learning curve.

Placement of the probe could have given you a false reading.  If you use a thermo combined with the bone wiggle you will be more certain.  The first time I used my new smoker last fall I ended up putting it in the oven at 200 or so and went to sleep to finish it up.  The alarm from the temp went off at 3 in the morning.  Success!  The next time I started at a different time and was able to do it all on the smoker.  There is a definite learning curve with each smoker.  I probably smoke at closer to 180 to 200 and reach a temp in the meat of 195 to 205.

Edited by oldtimer

• Moderators

Sorry no pic's, I suck

Christy's brother came in this evening from Alaska, will be here for a few days. So we cooked some fried shrimp and fried oysters, nothing special but it was good.

Figured I should post something, I cook everyday but never post anything and rarely take a pic.

But I do love to eat and cook, so that counts for something :)

• Like 3

Chefs presentation to the staff .

IMG_0446.jpg

Fine Food and Mayhem

IMG_0448.jpg

OK that does it. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I have to try something new. When I make the reservation can I request you at that time? Also in my 53 years living here I have never been there so what's the dress? We frequent Oak (cuz I LOVE steak) and when we go earlier(6 o'clockish) it's not uncommon for me to wear nice shorts & button-down oxford.....you know the lowcountry heybo uniform. Is that cool there or is it a bit more formal?

Okay I bought a smoker last year and thought Id try it out for the first time today , I picked up a Pork Loin and set the temp on the smoker to around 220 deg , I smoked the pork loin till inside temp was 160 deg . My question is why is the meat still tough ? I wanted to make pulled pork .

I ended up cutting it up and putting it in a crockpot with a can of beer for 2 hours them used a mixer and broke it up . Any Tips

Try this for pulled pork.  Use a Boston Butt Roast.  This is pork shoulder and has the right fat to lean content.  Rub the meat with your favorite rub the night before cooking. I use Pappy's.  Smoke at about 225 degrees to an internal temp of 190 degrees.  This usually takes around 8 hours doing two 8 to 10 pound chunks of meat.  Wrap the meat in foil and put into an insulated chest for a few hours.  When it is down to a temperature low enough that you can handle it, pull apart using a couple of forks or your hands.  This works every time for me.

I am not sure you could even make pork loin work for pulled pork.  Not sure there is enough fat in the loin.

Totally agree with Bob on this, except for one thing....cooking the same amount at the same temp usually takes me 10-12 hours, so, don't depend on the time in the smoker, depend on the temp of the meat.  Another little trick that I do is that after you've wrapped it in foil, put it in a roasting pan in the chest, because you will have a lot of juice from the meat.  Collect the juice in a large glass bowl or measuring cup, let it sit and let the fat rise to the top.  Skim off the fat (there will be quite a bit).  After you've pulled the pork, sprinkle the juice back on the meat and work it in gently.  Enjoy!

OK that does it. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I have to try something new. When I make the reservation can I request you at that time? Also in my 53 years living here I have never been there so what's the dress? We frequent Oak (cuz I LOVE steak) and when we go earlier(6 o'clockish) it's not uncommon for me to wear nice shorts & button-down oxford.....you know the lowcountry heybo uniform. Is that cool there or is it a bit more formal?

Sure you can request me and as long as you aren't wearing a tank top your fine . 

Do you like fried chicken ?

IMG_0588.jpg

• Like 2

now Willy, I think you know I do BUT my wife and I (and daughter actually) are living it low carb. I have lost 70 lbs, my wife 60 and daughter 30. You won't recognize us!! So that plate is pretty much off limits. I'm sure there's something there we can do though.

I showed her the pictures you posted earlier and she said "LET"S GO".

Hey man if you're on FB friend me. I tried to find you but got no results for sunburnwilly :unsure: