Fine Food and Music

Boxx

Okay I bought a smoker last year and thought Id try it out for the first time today , I picked up a Pork Loin and set the temp on the smoker to around 220 deg , I smoked the pork loin till inside temp was 160 deg . My question is why is the meat still tough ? I wanted to make pulled pork .

I ended up cutting it up and putting it in a crockpot with a can of beer for 2 hours them used a mixer and broke it up . Any Tips

Try this for pulled pork.  Use a Boston Butt Roast.  This is pork shoulder and has the right fat to lean content.  Rub the meat with your favorite rub the night before cooking. I use Pappy's.  Smoke at about 225 degrees to an internal temp of 190 degrees.  This usually takes around 8 hours doing two 8 to 10 pound chunks of meat.  Wrap the meat in foil and put into an insulated chest for a few hours.  When it is down to a temperature low enough that you can handle it, pull apart using a couple of forks or your hands.  This works every time for me.

I am not sure you could even make pork loin work for pulled pork.  Not sure there is enough fat in the loin.

I will try it that way next time , the butcher told me to get the loin   Is the Pappys just the all in one seasoning ? 

Ok cookers.  I would like to know what you guys and gals use to marinate whole racks of ribs.  I always had to cut them in half because of the smoker dimensions but now that I have a larger one I would rather smoke them whole.  My problem is I still have to cut them in half to fit into the food grade containers I have to soak them in the apple cider.  Instead of doing a search I figure there is more wisdom here to glean first.

• Like 1

Okay I bought a smoker last year and thought Id try it out for the first time today , I picked up a Pork Loin and set the temp on the smoker to around 220 deg , I smoked the pork loin till inside temp was 160 deg . My question is why is the meat still tough ? I wanted to make pulled pork .I ended up cutting it up and putting it in a crockpot with a can of beer for 2 hours them used a mixer and broke it up . Any Tips

Try this for pulled pork.  Use a Boston Butt Roast.  This is pork shoulder and has the right fat to lean content.  Rub the meat with your favorite rub the night before cooking. I use Pappy's.  Smoke at about 225 degrees to an internal temp of 190 degrees.  This usually takes around 8 hours doing two 8 to 10 pound chunks of meat.  Wrap the meat in foil and put into an insulated chest for a few hours.  When it is down to a temperature low enough that you can handle it, pull apart using a couple of forks or your hands.  This works every time for me.

I am not sure you could even make pork loin work for pulled pork.  Not sure there is enough fat in the loin.

This to a tee. Pretty much exactly what I do. After a couple of hours in the cooler you won't even need a utensil of any sort. Get some gloves and just pull it apart.

• Like 1

Okay I bought a smoker last year and thought Id try it out for the first time today , I picked up a Pork Loin and set the temp on the smoker to around 220 deg , I smoked the pork loin till inside temp was 160 deg . My question is why is the meat still tough ? I wanted to make pulled pork .I ended up cutting it up and putting it in a crockpot with a can of beer for 2 hours them used a mixer and broke it up . Any Tips

This to a tee. Pretty much exactly what I do. After a couple of hours in the cooler you won't even need a utensil of any sort. Get some gloves and just pull it apart.

I got away from rubbing the night before, they say the salt will draw the moisture out.  But needless to say, it still comes out pretty good which ever way you try.  One thing I will have to try is putting it in the cooler while it sets. 

I would like to know what you guys and gals use to marinate whole racks of ribs

I used to marinate, but lately I just rub them down before putting them on a smoker, then an hour before there done wrap them in foil and some sort of sauce. 

If you guys ever get the chance to read the Salt lick cook book from Texas, do as there methods and recipes work very well.  I have tried many different things, one thing I like to do is keep it simple. 

Okay I bought a smoker last year and thought Id try it out for the first time today , I picked up a Pork Loin and set the temp on the smoker to around 220 deg , I smoked the pork loin till inside temp was 160 deg . My question is why is the meat still tough ? I wanted to make pulled pork .

I ended up cutting it up and putting it in a crockpot with a can of beer for 2 hours them used a mixer and broke it up . Any Tips

I will try it that way next time , the butcher told me to get the loin   Is the Pappys just the all in one seasoning ? 

Here is the seasoning I use.  Seems to work good on everything I smoke from turkey to pork.  This is on Amazon.  I suppose it may be available other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Pappys-Choice-Seasoning-Professional-Pack/dp/B002ODE1PQ

• Like 1

Ok cookers.  I would like to know what you guys and gals use to marinate whole racks of ribs.  I always had to cut them in half because of the smoker dimensions but now that I have a larger one I would rather smoke them whole.  My problem is I still have to cut them in half to fit into the food grade containers I have to soak them in the apple cider.  Instead of doing a search I figure there is more wisdom here to glean first.

I use a dry rub on ribs, chicken, and brisket.  Venison I use a marinade.  

The rub I make for ribs contains paprika, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a little cumin, garlic powder and onion powder.

• Like 1

Here is the seasoning I use.  Seems to work good on everything I smoke from turkey to pork.  This is on Amazon.  I suppose it may be available other places.

If you can find the recipe for amounts you will kill the commercial variety by going to your bulk spice selling store and mixing it yourself.  I have been doing this for years with Emerils essence and for the same price the ingredients are fresher and product kicks the premix store bought butt.

• Like 1

I use a dry rub on ribs, chicken, and brisket.  Venison I use a marinade.  

The rub I make for ribs contains paprika, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a little cumin, garlic powder and onion powder.

I do both with my ribs.  Soak in apple cider then pat dry before smoking and apply a dry rub.  All I really want` is a container for soaking a whole rack or lots of racks.  Once you taste mine, no joint will satisfy.

• Like 2

This is what I use to marinade (Charcoal Companion - two trays in the set; red for raw food, brown for cooked food).  The length will not quite fit a full rack of ribs.  The inside dimensions are 14.5" x 11" x 2.5" deep.  It fits well in the refrigerator with about an inch to spare.

post-12078-0-78820000-1438575276_thumb.j

Edited by Seadog
  • Like 1

You can also do pulled pork in a crockpot.  Just put on low heat for about 7-8 hours.  No need to add water or anything.  Just let it sit and slowly cook.

For the rub, I use a mix of about 1/3 brown sugar, 1/3 Lowry's fajita seasoning and 1/3 Lowry's seasoned salt.  No need to marinate overnight.  Just apply the rub before beginning to cook.  Also, if you rub down the pork butt with mustard first, the rub sticks better.  The mustard does not affect the flavor.

I've been meaning to try pulled pork in the smoker.  Will do soon.  The crockpot method is very easy.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

I grabbed the pappys on eBay 13.00 free shipping along with 120 Hickory pucks again free ship - I don't have a prime account on Amazon so 16.00 shipping was crazy . Im going to locate the right piece of meat and give it another try .

The loin I did turned out good once it soaked in beer in the crock , it broke up easy and had a good flavor with some baby rays 

I used to put sauce on my pulled pork but stopped doing that awhile back.  Seems most of the group I feed that to prefer just the flavor that the smoke and rub add.  So, now I just serve sauce on the side. For sauce, some prefer the tomato based sauce and some prefer mustard based sauce.  Also, without the sauce, any left over pulled pork is excellent seasoning for green beans, pinto beans or baked beans.  Works better than bacon for that in my opinion.

Edited by BEC
  • Like 3

Started a Pork Butt at 7 am lets see how it turns out this time , Is it really that crucial to wrap in foil and let sit a couple hours ? Or can one just set in in a large pot with lid and let it sit ?

Okay Im out of foil and don't want to leave to get some , :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-49590-0-76580000-1439050388_thumb.j

post-49590-0-86220000-1439050396_thumb.j

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 1

An insulated container is best.  You could put the pot in a cooler and wrap the pot in towels, or even just put it in the oven if you are not using it.   The texture will be improved so yes it is important if you have the time.  Instead of foil some top bbq'ers use butcher paper.  The guy behind the meat counter will probably give you enough for a big roast for free If you ask nicely.  Just remember to get some when you buy the meat and you are set.  Butcher paper is said to not soften up the bark too much on a brisket for example, compared to foil.

Cooked to 190 and I went and got foil to wrap , also put towel around it ,its resting in the microwave. Thanks on the tip I will place the temp probe in the side next time . This one was 6 pounds took 6hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk