World's smallest V-12 engine

Islander

1200 hrs in the making. Great admiration for his work. Just wondering if the engine ran using fuel or was it just turning via an electric motor. didn't see any exhaust smoke or blow by from the 12 pistons that did not have any piston rings. Since he didn't use lock tight on any of the screws, makes me think the motor was just a functional model powered by an electric motor. If it was running off fuel, would love to see that motor on an RC boat, train, etc.

http://www.gizmag.com/spanish-engineer-crafts-the-worlds-smallest-v-12-engine/20636/

“Anyone who appreciates the precision art of engine design ought to get a kick out of this offering from a Spanish engineer named Patelo. Starting with hunks of aluminum, bronze and stainless steel, he spent over 1200 hours designing, milling, turning and drilling what he claims is "probably" the world's smallest V12 engine. Powered by compressed air injection (0.1kg/sq cm), this little marvel boasts a total displacement of 12 cubic centimeters from its twelve 11.3 mm diameter pistons and works like a charm. Best of all, you can see it come together in the detailed video that follows.”

Emphasis added.

Actual real engines do not use loctite on bolt threads. They use precision machined bosses, machined spacers, no lockwashers, and specified torques. They do use anti sieze compound on bolts into aluminum castings. Loctite will prevent disassembly and snap off the bolt heads. There are also different grades of loctite. I personally use Helicoils on aluminum bolt holes. Aircraft engines use safety wires through the bolt heads. Some engines with aluminum blocks are already Helicoiled from the factory on the mains and rocker studs. He didn't construct a complex oiling system but I wonder how he came up with the geometry of the camshafts and crankshafts.

JJK

Loctite brand no-seize compounds are used in many race engines (NHRA, etc.). They are designed to "lock", but the compound is brittle and will release on torwue. Heli-coils are a really good idea for aluminum blocks unless studs are used. Even with studs, heli's are often used as an extra prcaustion as aluminum block alloys can become "friable" or lose their temper and become brittle around the threads after repeated heating and cooling (as in running at power). The machining key to proper torque on cylinder heads is that the "bosses" must be perfectly flat and exactly perpendicular to the axis of the both/ stud. Use of precision blanchard ground washers between the bolt head or stud nut is strongly recommended in those applications.

CECAA850:

Most of the OEM flywheel/faceplate bolts had those non-removable gougy star lock washers. The Nascar use of Loctite on the flywheel bolts is interesting.

Wonder if that was because one bolt came loose because of the wrong torque? Threads stripped? Bolt broke? Cross threaded? Wrong size bolt? Out of spec threads? Flywheel broke? Improper balance and at what rpm? An 8000 RPM power shift on a 454 Chevy does twist t the block for an instant. Machined shoulder bolts on a machined surface just don't come loose, well they are not supposed too but if it was my race car I would probably tac weld them in place. But then again the weld would probably destroy the integrety of the bolt.

JJK

Most of the OEM flywheel/faceplate bolts had those non-removable gougy star lock washers.

I guess that Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram is in the minority then. I can't speak for other manufacturers but everything we take apart has locktite and no washers. Some of the older stuff had washers however.

Cool vid. The music is a little enthusiastic for the video, IMO...

I like the blown mini V8 video. I thought I had found a webpage regarding the construction of this mini V8, but I can't find it. I couldn't tell ya if it's real...but the butterflies open up, it belches gas out the pipes, and sounds like a little nitro burner.

I think those are cooling fans on the back of the engine.

Perfect for a Smurf restoring a '63 split-window, but he may need to fab an injection box...

http://www.gizmag.com/spanish-engineer-crafts-the-worlds-smallest-v-12-engine/20636/

“Anyone who appreciates the precision art of engine design ought to get a kick out of this offering from a Spanish engineer named Patelo. Starting with hunks of aluminum, bronze and stainless steel, he spent over 1200 hours designing, milling, turning and drilling what he claims is "probably" the world's smallest V12 engine. Powered by compressed air injection (0.1kg/sq cm), this little marvel boasts a total displacement of 12 cubic centimeters from its twelve 11.3 mm diameter pistons and works like a charm. Best of all, you can see it come together in the detailed video that follows.”

Emphasis added.

Ah, that would explain the plastic tube then. Thanks for pointing that out. That looks like something that would be fun to do during retirement.

Most of the OEM flywheel/faceplate bolts had those non-removable gougy star lock washers.

I guess that Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram is in the minority then. I can't speak for other manufacturers but everything we take apart has locktite and no washers. Some of the older stuff had washers however.

I was a VW tech for many years.......loctite was always used on flywheel bolts. (if anyone cares)

I'm imagining a Nascar Race like Taladega when a car has a broken flywheel and the race is half over and the mechanics are zipping out the flywheel screws and installing a new flywheel. Do they bother to re-tap the holes to remove the old neversieze so the new bolts will torque properly/ Or do they ram them babies home and get the car back on the track where seconds count. I gotta know. I gotta know. I gotta know.

JJK