klipsch forte II

tommy_q

Hi Tommy. Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, we're glad you're here.

Take some music you are familiar with and a towel. Play the music and give it a good listen, then cover one of the tweeter's with the towel and listen to the mid-range horn. Then cover the mid-range horn and listen to the tweeter. Do that for both speakers. You don't have to turn it up really loud, but loud enough to hear the driver. You are listening for static or distortion or just plain bad sound. Remember, a tweeter really doesn't sound great by itself, but it should sound clean and clear.

Do a good visual inspection of the box and drivers, and open the back if you can. Take a picture and post it here and we'll help you figure out if it is original or not. Oh,yeah, get the serial numbers if you can.

We don't believe in stupid questions, just stupid people who don't ask questions! [;)] So, ask away, if you have any questions at all.

Again, Welcome! [<:o)]

Dennie

Ditto on what Dennie sez.

If the "mechanics" are ok, carefully inspect the cabinets for chips, water damage, etc. You cannot open the backs on the Forte's, but you really do not need to open them up by removing the drivers unless something is obviously "wrong".

Good luck and we hope you are successful in the search!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys;

I am hunting for Forte ii but one pair of forte appears. I will go for it today. the pictures below is posted by seller and looks good. It is asked for $550. I am a little bit worry about it because it is maybe too old (stop produce at 1989) and how long it can still work.

image 1image 0

• Moderators

I am a little bit worry about it because it is maybe too old (stop produce at 1989) and how long it can still work.

A very long time, don't worry about age, go get them. I have 3 pair the same age or older, no problems.

The only thing that may be required later is new caps in the crossover only to bring them back to original sound, they will still work normally. I have yet to do that on any of mine and no problems at all.

I am a little bit worry about it because it is maybe too old (stop produce at 1989) and how long it can still work.

A very long time, don't worry about age, go get them. I have 3 pair the same age or older, no problems.

The only thing that may be required later is new caps in the crossover only to bring them back to original sound, they will still work normally. I have yet to do that on any of mine and no problems at all.

I waited about a year to update the crossovers (capacitors) on my La Scalas and boy was I wrong. What a freakin' huge difference. I only thought they sounded good before the updates. When I asked Bob Crites if it would REALLY make a difference to update the crossovers, he just laughed and said "Yes"! Boy was he right.

Here is the link to Bob and Michael Crites site -----> CLICK HERE (you too Dtel) [;)]

Don't worry Tommy, with updated electronics (simple to do, if I can do it), those Fortes can sound spectacular!!! [<:o)]

Please keep us posted (both of you, LOL)

Dennie

Tommy_q,

Welcome to the forum.

I think $550.00 is on the higher side of the range for Fortes but still if in good condition, it is hard to beat the performance they provide for that $$$. Offer $500.00 and see what happens.

Sound quailty: Fortes vs Forte II's, IMO a tie. Only advantage with Forte II's is with the tractrix horn being less placement specific. Off axis listening is more forgiving with Forte II's. With Fortes placed just right, neither really has advantage IMO.

No need to worry about that, plenty of parts available(if needed) on the used market(woofers, mids, diaphragms, etc.) and new crossover rebuild kits or all new crossovers from Bob Crites.

I just sold(had to) my 1987 OO Fortes and they were still chugging along with no problems at all but were do for a crossover refreshing soon.

Go get them.

Bill

• Moderators

I waited about a year to update the crossovers (capacitors) on my La Scalas and boy was I wrong. What a freakin' huge difference. I only thought they sounded good before the updates. When I asked Bob Crites if it would REALLY make a difference to update the crossovers, he just laughed and said "Yes"! Boy was he right.

Here is the link to Bob and Michael Crites site -----> CLICK HERE (you too Dtel) Wink

Don't worry Tommy, with updated electronics (simple to do, if I can do it), those Fortes can sound spectacular!!! Party!!!

Dennie

Dennie is right, what i was trying to say and didn't really do a good job is, don't worry about crossovers as far as should you get them or not, it's something you can always do later they will still work until then.

New caps alone make a big difference, more than i was expecting to hear on another speaker i have. I would love to do my forte's, at least the front three but will wait a little while. I would like to find another design that is not stacked and hard to work on.

Here is the link to Bob and Michael Crites site -----> CLICK HERE (you too Dtel) Wink

Don't worry Tommy, with updated electronics (simple to do, if I can do it), those Fortes can sound spectacular!!! Party!!!

Dennie

Dennie is right, what i was trying to say and didn't really do a good job is, don't worry about crossovers as far as should you get them or not, it's something you can always do later they will still work until then.

New caps alone make a big difference, more than i was expecting to hear on another speaker i have. I would love to do my forte's, at least the front three but will wait a little while. I would like to find another design that is not stacked and hard to work on.

Well Said!

So Tommy? Any news?

Dennie

Thank your for all your inputs!

I bought that pair of Forte as $550 drive about 100 miles from my home. The speaker looks good and I tested it with the method Dennie told and all high & mid frequency horn working well. There are a scracth on the surfcae of the bottom of the enclosure and it not effect the performance. The speakers comes with origanal package and manual.

After I got them home. I set up the speakers with my pioneer receiver and other speakers. I did full auto MCACC to calibrate the system. There are a message from receiver said that right front speaker has reverse which ask me the check if the positive & negative of the cable connections were wrong. I double checked it and the connection is good so I wonder if the direction of the speaker not pointed to microphone. I go through the MCACC and play the muisc, it sounds good.

When I was back home and check the speakers, I found the labels at the back of the speakers which has inspector information ( as shown in picture below) is gone. There are two staples left but I can't get the series number and other information from that label. I don't know how improtant of this label.

image 2

I will continue test the speaker and will post new results here. Any suggestion and advices are wellcome!

Thank you all for helps!!

Tommy

• Moderators

Glad you got them, it may feel like around the top of the price range for forte's but it is really is cheap in the long run for how much you will use them. [Y]

Good idea, checking the receiver also. If all else fails re-run it and you could always check the inside the speaker?

The labels aren't too terribly important. Basically they'll tell you the year of manufacture, whether or not they were a consecutively serial numbered pair and the finish of the wood. The finish of the wood is easy to tell just by looking at it. The Forte didn't have any changes until it was re-made as a Forte II so year of manufacture isn't really important. Consecutive serial numbers is mainly for anal retentive owners who insist that the veneer is mirrored. My Fortes are a couple dozen numbers apart as far as serial numbers. Doesn't bother me one bit - they still sound amazing.

Got it.

After the tests using different CDs, I can only play it at volumen -10db ~0 db (max is +20db) otherwise everybody at house complained. I feel a lot of bass and still need to get used to it. from reviews, the position of the speakers is crtical for the sound effect. How to decide which position is best for your setting? (only move the speakers around and listen?)

Thanks

Got it.

After the tests using different CDs, I can only play it at volumen -10db ~0 db (max is +20db) otherwise everybody at house complained. I feel a lot of bass and still need to get used to it. from reviews, the position of the speakers is crtical for the sound effect. How to decide which position is best for your setting? (only move the speakers around and listen?)

Thanks

Unless you're upgrading from Klipsch, they're probably much more sensitive than what you had before. Careful with the spl's! Ease into them so the extra detail and dynamics they provide don't overload your senses.

Regarding placement, experimentation is key, as your room has it's own characteristics you have to consider. I get good results using a cross-fire type arrangement (it takes advantage of the inherent directivity of the fortes, allows closer proximity to corners, and, hey, it's how PWK recommended). Play with it. When you have it right, you should get a huge image, balanced low to high freq response, and the "giant cans for the whole room" effect.

Regarding modifications/updates, I found that the various BEC upgrades well worth their cost, new caps being the best bang/buck. To my ears, it results in less distinct "speaker" sound, and more transparency/neutrality. It's not subtle. Don't hesitate to hot-rod your fortes.

Dennie;

You mentioned update the crossover and I went to the Bob and Michael Crites site. It is really helpfulr to know you can get all replacement from there.

How do you decide you need to replace your crossover? using your ear or using some instruments to measure the frequency response?

I see a repair kit and you can DIY the crossover yourself. Do yo DIY yours or ask Bob to do it?

When I check the speaker, I found the screws for K-23 and KD-13 woofers are all rusted but screws on midrange and tweeter look good. Do I need to repalce those rust screws? Do you know how to open the cabinet because I am curious to look inside the speaker and nake sure it is still healthy.

Thanks

Tao