Favorite Stogie

jtubbs6117

Having a cigar is much like having a cup of coffee. There are different
types of coffee the roast the origin of the beans. Even how the coffee is
prepared is also in itself important. This applies to having a cigar, country
of origin, the wrapper, the size and even brand.

I was going to stay out of this (and keep my comments to myself) since I don't smoke, nor have any desire to begin. Every once in a great while, I may pour myself something to drink, though, but that is very rare (as I really don't drink either).

With that being said, I have to agree with this. Why can't a guy sit in front of his stereo rig, listening to music and at the same time, perhaps enjoy a fine cigar and/or a fine Scotch?

As far as second-hand smoke, it is not like these guys on here are doing it on the train or in a restaurant or other place with crowds (plus just about every train I've been on or restaurant I've been in these days would not allow it anymore). They are doing it in the privacy of their homes/listening areas.

At the same time, I do recall there used to be a bar with a tabacco shop attached in downtown Fredericksburg, but I don't think it is there anymore. I've been in there once a while ago, looking for cigar boxes to get for my mother (as she used to collect them).

As far as I am concerned, enjoy your cigars and your drinks. Seems to go hand in hand with the fine music on the fine systems everybody here seems to have.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having a cigar is much like having a cup of coffee. There are different types of coffee the roast the origin of the beans. Even how the coffee is prepared is also in itself important. This applies to having a cigar, country of origin, the wrapper, the size and even brand.

I was going to stay out of this (and keep my comments to myself) since I don't smoke, nor have any desire to begin. Every once in a great while, I may pour myself something to drink, though, but that is very rare (as I really don't drink either).

With that being said, I have to agree with this. Why can't a guy sit in front of his stereo rig, listening to music and at the same time, perhaps enjoy a fine cigar and/or a fine Scotch?

As far as second-hand smoke, it is not like these guys on here are doing it on the train or in a restaurant or other place with crowds (plus just about every train I've been on or restaurant I've been in these days would not allow it anymore). They are doing it in the privacy of their homes/listening areas.

At the same time, I do recall there used to be a bar with a tabacco shop attached in downtown Fredericksburg, but I don't think it is there anymore. I've been in there once a while ago, looking for cigar boxes to get for my mother (as she used to collect them).

As far as I am concerned, enjoy your cigars and your drinks. Seems to go hand in hand with the fine music on the fine systems everybody here seems to have.

Hey Steve... Maybe someday we can sit down and have a drink together... (and maybe a smoke) and enjoy the evening with some good music...

Hey Steve... Maybe someday we can sit down and have a drink together... (and maybe a smoke) and enjoy the evening with some good music...

If I am ever Texas-way, I'll have to look you up. [:)]

Would not mind sharing a drink or two over some music with you. Would love to hear your Palladium/Mac setup you go there.

If I am ever Texas-way, I'll have to look you up. Smile

Would not mind sharing a drink or two over some music with you. Would love to hear your Palladium/Mac setup you go there.

Without out a doubt we would crank it up.....

I enjoy a good Swisher Sweet while drinking Old Crow on the back patio, typically while picking off the neighbors cats with my shotgun.

PWK BS Button

I know for a fact you've never fired that gun. :P

If you really look close enough, you may find another untruth or two in that statement.[;)]

• Moderators

I don't smoke enough cigars to know a good one from a bad one.

Although I have to say they have some great cigars in Jamaica, there everywhere. Great taste, they even smell great, there shaped a little strange (kind of cone shaped) but overall seem to be very relaxing especially with an adult beverage and some reggae, on a beach under a palm tree. [ip][D][8]= [:D]

But if my smoke, whatever it may be is bothering you, move, if it's blowing onto your property I will lite a couple of tires on fire so whatever I'm smoking doesn't offend you. [;)]

But I really don't have a problem with anyone who does not want to be around any kind of smoke, it's an individuals choice, just like it's my choice if I want to smoke.

Either of our rights should not affect the others rights, and if it does one has a reason to express themselves, but I really doubt you can smell my smoke ONLINE ! So..........

Okies, I gotta tell this one...but bear in mind we are talking another place, and another time.

Mae Kok river, border of Thailand and Burma, 1988. An occasional denizen of the forum and myself are about to embark on a 4 day trip down the river to the Mekong. Cost, 200.00 total for both of us including building the boat, food...everything. We started from here...the boat at the front is ours. Burma is to the right. The things sticking out on the side are bathrooms. I kid you not!

post-9494-138196902905_thumb.jpg

The second day, we crossed the border. We had to stop at a border station and the Thai soldiers there told us we were nuts if we continued as the next part of the river was under the control of Khun Sa, Burmese warlord and ruler of Shan state. We knew that, and our boatmen were Shan tribesmen. Not a problem...but we didn't tell them that. Then they gave our boatmen total hell in Thai. Of course, they neither understood nor cared. Then we set off past this sign.

post-9494-1381969029201_thumb.jpg

I suppose that it should be stated that I am one of the generally perceived lower class people known as “smokers” and have been for many years.

I make no apologies for my habit although I do endeavor to be a “courteous smoker” at every opportunity. I can go hours or even days without lighting a cigarette when the circumstances call for it. I do not smoke in my house as a courtesy to whatever and whoever guests I may have who are offended by the smell.

On the other hand I have great disdain for the militant “anti-smoking” folks who wish to enforce their version of “what’s right” and what’s healthy” on me. The last time I checked what I do (smoking) while not healthy at all is also NOT illegal in this country. I therefore have (at the moment) the right to do it without concern for the risk of of being jailed.

I am sick to farking death with people trying to dictate to me what is “healthy” and what is not. Where does it stop? Are the “health police” at some point going to place warning labels on the éclairs that I enjoy from time to time because they’re high fat and have a ton of sugar in them? Guess what… I’m still going to enjoy one from time to time. Screw you health police. The éclairs from the local bakery are absolutely worth the hours or days or weeks or even months that one of them may take off of my lifespan.

In my opinion as human “machines” we were never intended or designed to live as long as we do now. I’m 54 and if I were to drop dead tomorrow I’d have died completely fulfilled. I mean I managed to father a perfectly wonderful son who will carry forward the family name. Quite simply what else can one ask for? In my opinion there is no greater “legacy” for any man than great children.

So what does this have to do with memorable stogies? Well, after each evening meal cooked by our intrepid Shan boatmen, we were presented with a hand rolled Burmese cigar that looked similar in size and form to a wood tipped Tampa Sweet cigarillo. However, they were green and had bamboo tips and absolutely perfectly formed. Thing was, while they had some really fine locally grown tobacco they also a quantity of another highly regarded local plant that had been cured with sugar water extract of yet an even stronger local plant.

Fine smoke. There are good reasons I don't have many pictures taken after supper on this trip.

Dave

post-9494-13819690326842_thumb.jpg