Question about the Lone Star State (better said Waco)

germerikan

My brother has a life time oppertunity to get a new position as head Chef in a to be newly opened resteraunt in Waco.

I know the Ft. Hood and Austin area but know nothing about Waco. Could any one give me some info on cost of living and if known where a nice area is to settle down in or around Waco?

He would be moving in from Pa. and knows nothing about TEXAS.

That's about 80 miles south of me. The city is home to Baylor University, the Texas Rangers Museum (the real Texas Rangers, not the fake ball players), and a whole lot of Southern Baptists, emphasis on Southern. If you're not a Baptist or look or act like one, you might reconsider (...all apologies to Paul in advance...).

The city is extremely conservative, very hot in the summer (same as at my abode), and very mild in the winter (snow maybe once every year or two). Texas A&M University is another 90 minutes down Highway 6.

The cost of living is definitely less than Dallas-Fort Worth, which means the cost of housing is significantly less than most of the Northeast, probably by 25-50%, or perhaps more.

No state income tax...and about 3 hours from Austin City Limits, if you go for that sort of thing.

Chris

My brother has a life time oppertunity to get a new position as head Chef in a to be newly opened resteraunt in Waco.

I know the Ft. Hood and Austin area but know nothing about Waco. Could any one give me some info on cost of living and if known where a nice area is to settle down in or around Waco?

He would be moving in from Pa. and knows nothing about TEXAS.

Waco's a nice city and home of the Baylor Bears. It's got a college town feel (like Brian/College Sta.), but much smaller. And do-west are the rolling hills of the Texas Hill Country. Nothing like your mountains in PA, but equally as scenic. You'll like Waco, I'm quite sure. There is no culture shock in Waco, as someone suggested previously, none what so ever.

Not sure about the best neighborhoods, but use Zillow.com to find yourself a nice house or apartment. Use the City's database to see where most of the crime occurs and stay away from those areas. Based on my limited knowledge about PA, I would assume the cost of living would be relatively low or slightly lower in Waco; But the county taxes, i.e. Property Taxes, are relatively high. If you're buying a house, be sure to compare the County's assessed value (for taxing purposes) versus the selling price.

If you want to know what Culture Shock is, try living in a border town.

Good luck!!

Hey guys, thanks for the input and good information. I appriciate it!! I will forward this to him so he can do some research. The move, if it happens, will probably be in 8 to 10 months.

He is the head Chef at a steak and rib resteraunt now and the owner is expanding. It´s gonna take a guy from Pa. to let you Texans know how to do a great steak and ribs ;)

Hey guys, thanks for the input and good information. I appriciate it!! I will forward this to him so he can do some research. The move, if it happens, will probably be in 8 to 10 months.

He is the head Chef at a steak and rib resteraunt now and the owner is expanding. It´s gonna take a guy from Pa. to let you Texans know how to do a great steak and ribs ;)

I pass through Waco often on my way to Austin. Later, when he gets set up and working, lets us know the name of the restaurant and I'll stop by and give it a try. Thank, Boxx...

@ Boxx, will do the Resteraunt is Quaker Steak and Lube

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/

Quaker Steak & Lube® | Best Wings USA | Over 21 Signature Wing Sauces
Founded in 1974, Quaker Steak & Lube® is a family friendly restaurant with a motorsports-themed atmosphere. Commonly referred to as "The Lube®," the restaurant features a unique blend of great service, award-winning food, supercharged events and eye-popping décor. Today, with over 45 locations, The Lube® serves over 80 million wings annually, sells its bottled sauces around the world, has won the title of "Best Wings USA," and has over hundreds of local, national and international awards for its wings and over 21 signature wing sauces.

They have really good wings (at least the ones I ate in Pa.), All steaks are well aged and my Bro does cook up a mean one!!Only the ribs are roasted and then grilled ( I prefer mine smoked ) but hey cant please everyone.

@ Boxx, will do the Resteraunt is Quaker Steak and Lube

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/

Quaker Steak & Lube® | Best Wings USA | Over 21 Signature Wing Sauces
Founded in 1974, Quaker Steak & Lube® is a family friendly restaurant with a motorsports-themed atmosphere. Commonly referred to as "The Lube®," the restaurant features a unique blend of great service, award-winning food, supercharged events and eye-popping décor. Today, with over 45 locations, The Lube® serves over 80 million wings annually, sells its bottled sauces around the world, has won the title of "Best Wings USA," and has over hundreds of local, national and international awards for its wings and over 21 signature wing sauces.

They have really good wings (at least the ones I ate in Pa.), All steaks are well aged and my Bro does cook up a mean one!!Only the ribs are roasted and then grilled ( I prefer mine smoked ) but hey cant please everyone.

Without a doubt, we will check this place out. Thanks....

• 2 months later...