Klipsch Heritage Series Owners Informal Poll

1) Five LaScalas--(Impatiently waiting for one of HDBR's cohorts to build them!)

2) 36

3) 36

4) I worked in a 'mid-fi' audio store that sold, among other things, Klipsch!!! No comparison!!

5) I would love to audition the Jubillees, but, without winning the Lottery, not much chance I'd buy 'em anytime soon... see answer #1!

6) Absolutley! PWK had a hand in their design, and I hope the turn out to be all he had hoped!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What Heritage speakers have you owned, currently own, or want to own?

La Scala's

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker?

3. What is your current age?

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model?

I have been an audio nut since I was 15. I first heard the La Scala's ( and other heritage) at the federated group store. I fell in love with them. I took a small loan out to help pay for my La Scala's back in 1981

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why?

I would like to add another La Scala or Belle for my center channel

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK?

Smile.gif

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

1. 1978 Cornwalls

2. My speakers belonged to one of my bestest, oldest buddies when we were roommates back in 1978. He custom ordered them from Klipsch. The had been in "storage" for the last 10-15 years until I resurrected them late last year. We were both in our early 20's.

3. 44

4. I wanted to reproduce musical performances as accurately as possible, hence Klipsch Heritage.

5. With the right room, might consider K-Horns.

6. Sounds like a good idea.

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Accuphase T-101 Tuner

Clearaudio Champion TT

Rega RB250 ST arm (Six Stream wire and cable)

Benz MicroAce Cartridge

EAR Phono Stage

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR7000 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCRs>

1. Have '78 Heresy. Love to get some Cornwalls

2. 21 at Listen Up in Denver

3. 43 years

4. That is all they had at the time. These replaced a set of AR3a's at the time. Still like to hear the 3a's for jazz. Have a really old pair of AR-LST1's that sound great but needs a ton of power to get them sounding right. The Klipsch line really made sense with tubes and turntables. Saw Jean Luc Ponty in Denver and they had Klipsch and JBL stage monitors at the rainbow music hall. Needless to say I was really impressed with the sound.

5.Would like to have K-horns, but would settle on Cornwalls. Heard them at the same time as the Heresy and could not believe the bass that came out of them. They had a set of K-horns in their listening room but could not afford the $2000 price tag at the time. The Cornwalls were going for $1000 and the Heresy was only $630 for the pair.

6.Yes

1. What Heritage speakers have you owned, currently own, or want to own?

I currently own a pair of '76 Heresy's, '86 La Scala's with ALK's on the way and a pair of '89 Chorus I's (just sold my '90 Chorus II's). I'm sure one day I will own the Khorns as well when I have the room for them.

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker?

3. What is your current age?

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model?

I first heard a pair of Belle's in 1979 while serving in the USAF while stationed in Germany. I have always loved the sound of horns but ended up with a pair of Infinity Column II's that I owned for 16 years. In 1995, I bought a brand new pair of Epic CF-2's, which I just recently sold to my sister when I picked up the Chorus's.

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why?

After hearing Q-Man's Khorns, I know I will own a pair one day. Don't know if I will ever be able to afford the Jubilee's. I have also considered some DIY horns using Altec drivers and horns.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK

Absolutely!

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-19-2002 at 02:07 PM

1: '77 LaScalas w/ALK Crossovers

2: Purchased last year (I was 53)

3: Am now 54.

4: Price could not be passed up. Had admired Klipsch since the early 70's. So much so that other speakers were out of the question (I was hooked).

5: KHorns, Belle Klipsch, or another set of LaScalas.

6: Jubilee? Haven't had a chance to listen to them. Can't offer any opinion.

1. Oh, boy. H-700s, Heresies, Cornwalls, Shorthorns, Shorthorn kits, LaScalas, Belles, (yep, they finally got here.) Want to own? K-Horns.

2. Bought the Cornwalls when I was twenty one. Still have them. (Though for some reason, they seem to get heavier every year.)

3. 49

4. When I started there WERE no other Klipsch products.

I've heard some of the current models, and, not to put too fine a point on it, they don't sound to me like the sort of speaker Klipsch would have been proud to place its name on in the old days.

5. If I ever get a house with suitable corners ...

6. You bet.

Capt'n Bobcwm11.gif

1. 79 LaScalas, walnut oil

2. 43

3. 44

4. I started with the Synergy Series, had a chance to get the LaScalas and haven't looked back

5. Khorns, if I had a place to put them, Heresy's for the rear channels

6. Don't know enough about it

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains)

SF-2 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590

SF-1 Mains

1. Currently own 4 pairs of Heresys manufactured from mid 60's to late 70's. Sold off a pair built in 1984 because they were not a good timbre match for the others.

2. 22

3. 52

4. Klipsch had only one line, now called Heritage, when I bought my first Klipsch speakers in 1972. When I was young, I didn't have room for Klipschorns, so I got Heresies. Now, with a good subwoofer and modern SS amplifiers, I don't need either the efficiency or lower frequency response of Klipschorns. No reason to change lines, either, because I like the sound of what I have.

5. More Heresys built before the late 70's to match what I have now.

6. Yes, if they have that Heritage sound.

1. What Heritage speakers have you owned, currently own, or want to own? '87 Cornwall II 70 something Hersey's (serial gouged off of back). I want some Klipschhorns, who doesn't, cause I use to listen to a friends early 70's models 15 years ago.

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker? 39 Had some KLF before that and some kg5.5's before that.

3. What is your current age? 41

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model? The love of my KLF's and the members of this board stating how great the Cornwall is over the KLF.

5. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers(new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why? Older Cornwalls. Because of limited corner availability and because I would like the older horns and the newer crossovers.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK? Not only yes, but hell yes. I think the name should change to the PWK Tribute. I hold PWK directly responsible for my musical enjoyment these last few years.

1. 1992 Klipschorns, walnut oil

2. 54

3. 64

4. I fell in love with the corner horns in 1955/56 when I could not afford them. I bought a new pair in 1992.

5. I want to hear the Jubilee. If it breaks my budget (retired), then I want to add two more Khorns and a center ( Belle ? ) for the new multichannel media.

6. There must be some "politics" behind this question? What I little information I have heard, it seems like the Jubliee will be the "King" of the Klipsch speakers. My answer is "yes".

Regards, Gary

Reading everyones answers there is more in common then just our heritage lines we own...Our ages. If you notice all of us are over 40. If only the young ones new what they are truely missing out on. My daughter has her friends over and I always get the same question when they see the La Scala's...Did you build those? Of course I always give the same answer, I wish!

Then they get a little education on Klipsch and then a listening demonstration. Both 2 channel and 6 channel DVD-A. The look in there face is always the same...Wow!

Couldn't have said it any better myself since that was the first thing I said upon listening to them for the first time, and ever since.

cwm1.gif

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

1. What Heritage speakers have you owned, currently own, or want to own? Heresy's, Cornwalls, Belles.

2. What was your age when you first purchased a Heritage series loudspeaker? 34

3. What is your current age? 49

4. Why did you choose Heritage loudspeakers over another Klipsch model? First Klipsch speakers I heard and fell in love with their sound!

4. If you currently own some Heritage loudspeakers, and could purchase some more Klipsch speakers (new or used), which ones would you purchase? Why? Klipschorns....Love their sound.

6. Do you think the upcoming Jubilee should become part of the "Heritage" line, since it was also designed by PWK? Yes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Owned 4 cornwalls, stepped down for more room!

Will have K-horns, down the road!

What heritage do i currently own,

CHORUS 1s 2 pair, and i see the resentment on these once again!

These are heritage, Either that, or they were a manufactured mistake at the factory, and all of them need to be tossed out!

What is wrong with having a set of herseys with bass anyway?

Age 37

Age started audio 11

Age first time owning Klipsch 26

Give the chorus and forte more credit these sound excellent!

I think these were built as more of an expeirement rather than production, if these series werent meant to be heritage, then they should have not been sold!

As heritage, but more with the KG line, these would be the KG6, the fortes KG5!

Isnt it very odd, that they are built the same as the KG 4s as far as looks, i think that was the point for these back then!

Im not even sure if the cornwall 2s were accepted into the heritage line were they?

If so, i have the same drivers, making these chorus heritage!

HDBRbuilder needs to tell us the exact reason for the chorus line, what series, they were meant for!

Like it matters anyway, we all have Klipsch, and thats the real point here!

But these are not to far from the cornwalls, id honestly do admit to that!

I swapped cornwalls for these to have more room, also to have 4 matching Klipsch speakers, the cornwalls were odd balls!

Wood color, and grilles were different!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 06-01-2002 at 09:04 AM

OK...Heritage speakers are the ones DESIGNED by PWK!!..Pretty simple...there are others that have been built over the years, but PWK did not design them, he may have had a hand in the design of some of them in some way or the other, but they weren't HIS designs, alone....hope that explains what "heritage" means....and why I have asked whether the Jubilee should be designated a "heritage model", since PWK designed it, too!

In no way does this thread mean to take anything away from Chorus, Forte, etc...but those were not PWK's designs...I am sure PWK helped the designers to overcome some obstacles in the designs of them, but those and other non-heritage speakers were designed by a team of engineers working for Klipsch...with the exception of the Kg series which began as a "bookshelf speaker" design collaboration of PWK and Gary Gillum, primarily. But, most of the speakers that came out after the heritage series were primarily designed by Roy Delgado, Jim Hunter, and the rest of the engineers at the company...with some input here and there from PWK.

PWK's designs that saw the most production are:

Heresy

Cornwall

LaScala

Belle Klipsch

Klipschorn.....

With the Jubilee the last of his designs!

Does that clear up your questions about "heritage" speakers?

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-01-2002 at 10:08 AM

Here are my own answers to the poll questions:

When I left Italy in June of 1976 to come home a civilian from the Army, I sold my JBL 4311 studio monitors(basically a studio version of the JBL Century 100 model 3 way system), but I kept the JBL Decade L-36 speakers I had been using as my rear channel speakers for my quad system. (Even then I believed Bose were crap!!!...LOL!) I also purchased another pair of L-36 speakers prior to leaving Italy and had them drop-shipped to my stateside address...that way I could have four identical speakers for my quad system when I got home, and still have the cash to get some more speakers later on.

Within a month after I arrived home in 1976, I was hired on at Klipsch. A few months after I was hired on, I compared the Heresys to the JBL L-36's I already had...hell...I couldn't even HEAR the JBL's because the Heresys were so efficient!!!...and the Heresys sounded better too...ALOT BETTER!!!

I traded a pair of the JBL's to a buddy of mine for a Pickup truck camper shell, and sold the other pair to a gal who lived in Hope...let em have em for alot less than I had paid for em, too...that gave me enough money to purchase a pair of Heresys after I got my first quarterly bonus at Klipsch in January of 1978.

In those days, Klipsch employees who had worked for the company at least 6 months, were allowed to buy a pair of speakers at 40% of MSRP, but had to keep them at least one year...and could only buy ONE pair each year. Employees generally purchased Heresys first, then the next year would upgrade to Cornwalls or LaScalas by selling the Heresys...then the next year would upgrade to K-horns or Belles by selling the Cornwalls or LaScalas....happened all the time!!!

Employees normally got more for their speakers when they sold them than the current MSRP at the time, because the ones built for employees were normally pretty fancy in one way or another...this allowed them to use the money from that sale to cover the 40% cost of the upgrade...and seldom have to add anymore money to what they received for the speakers they had just sold, in order to pay for the "upgrade" models they intended to purchase!!

I have had the Heresys (HDBL models)since day one...I never bought anymore speakers for myself while working there because I needed all my money to pay for college courses I was taking at nite. I always wanted some LaScalas, tho...and finally got some just recently off eBay...and I am currently trying to doctor them up cosmetically. Someday I hope to get a pair of K-horns when I have a place to put them...I doubt I will ever be able to afford Jubilees, though!!

I was 24 when I bought those Heresys...and am 49 now!!

I personally believe that "heritage" doesn't mean old, but instead means "designed by PWK"...who was the heritage of the company...therefore I believe the Jubilee should either become the flagship of the heritage line...or be in a class by itself, since it IS a two-way, unlike any of the other "heritage" models!! Too bad it can't be called a "Legacy" speaker, because it surely was his FINAL LEGACY to the world of sound reproduction!!

POLL DATA SO FAR:

31 responses with full data

youngest aquisition of first heritage speakers: 18

oldest aquisition of first heritage speakers: 54

youngest "old hornie"`to respond so far: 20

oldest "old hornie" to respond so far: 64

avg. age of respondees when aquired first heritage: 28

average current age of "old hornies" so far: 43

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-01-2002 at 01:48 PM

I definitely would not make the Jubilee the flagship of the Heritage line. Not long before PWK passed away, he was asked what speaker he was most proud of. He said the Klipschorn. I remember asking Mr. Paul many questions about his speakers. I heard Mr. Paul talk about speakers, and it was always about what we now know as the Heritage line. Save your Klipschorns everyone, it was still PWK's favorite.

Just my opinion,

Tony

As SCOOTERDOG has mentioned, the data on the first members responding to this poll is interesting. Thirty-one respondants represent 480 years of listening to Klipsch "heritage series" speakers. Average age for first purchase is 29 years and current average age is 44 years. Average years with Klipsch speakers is 15 years per person.

This is my favorite forum for interesting discussions and valuable information.

Gary

Tony Reed,

Of course PWK would be proudest of the K-horn...what designer wouldn't? What other speaker in the world has virtually remained in production for 57 years and been considered by many to be the finest home loudspeaker ever designed since its first inception?

As a matter of fact, just name one other ANYTHING in the world of audio that has remained in production that long and has been considered the finest of its class the entire time by many!!!

And, consider that it was his VERY FIRST COMMERCIAL VENTURE in loudspeakers, geez!!!

Hell, when PWK first designed it and built it, the k-horn had more damned accurate frequency response than any commercially available amplifier he could find to power it!!! Its debut FORCED the world of audio to play catch-up from day one!!! And even some of the most expensive NEW equipment made today, 57 years later, doesn't perform well enough to be a viable power source or component to play through a k-horn!!!

I well imagine that it may be many years(if ever) before anything else the company designs will be the reference it uses to compare its own models in development to!!!

Dontcha Think?

P.S. Henry Ford, Sr. believed the best automobile engine ever made was the "Model T", but it didn't remain in production half as long as the K-horn has...think about it!! The k-horn has already remained in production longer than half the American population will live!!...It is already considered a true heirloom to be passed down through the generations, as some of the forum members already have seen!!

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-01-2002 at 02:26 PM