Share Your Son's First 2ch Setup vs Your First 2ch Setup

Youthman

• Moderators

I thought it would be fun to compare our first 2ch setup with our son (or daughter's) first 2 channel setup. I only wish I had a setup 1/2 the quality of my son's when I was his age.

I'll start it off....

My 13yr old's first 2ch System:
Klipsch RF-7 (Black)
Parasound PLD-1100 Pre-Amp
Rotel RB-960BX (60w x 2) Amplifier
Marantz DV4500 DVD Player

Klipsch-RF7-2Ch-Setup1.jpg

My First 2ch Setup (probably around 12yrs old or so)

Pioneer Dolby Prologic Receiver
Technics 3-way Speaker with 12" woofer (can't remember the model).

(Note: the photo below is not my photo...but these look like the ones I had in my first 2ch setup.

technics.jpg

• Moderators

I'm not saying it was bad, but I just know they can't even begin to compare to my son's RF-7's. It's quite unfair...I'm pretty jealous of him. LOL

My technics were good, all I cared about was the bass. Shook my room and that's all I wanted. Then I traded them in at Circuit City for a pair of the DCM 12's and they hit MUCH harder and had better highs. Again, at that time, I really wasn't concerned with sound quality, just what would pound and get the loudest. [;)]

I'm not saying it was bad, but I just know they can't even begin to compare to my son's RF-7's. It's quite unfair...I'm pretty jealous of him. LOL

My technics were good, all I cared about was the bass. Shook my room and that's all I wanted. Then I traded them in at Circuit City for a pair of the DCM 12's and they hit MUCH harder and had better highs. Again, at that time, I really wasn't concerned with sound quality, just what would pound and get the loudest. Wink

I agree with what you are saying... Lot's of truth there. Interesting, Technics made several models of reel to reels that are highly collectable... I would love to get my hands on one.

I had a DUAL 1229 ?? TT, a pair of Bozak speaks similar in size to the large Advents and a Kenwood integrated amp. I was quite pleased. I earned the money delivering newspapers, mowing lawns etc etc.

I recently bought my daughter a pair of Klipsch KSF 10.5s and a monster Onkyo amp/pre/tuner set up of CL. It sounds pretty darn good and the prices were idiotically low. I held up a quicky mart for that one.

Pfff, even a blind man could see no evidence of male occupancy in that room above. [:|]That's a picture only a mom could be proud of.

I don't have kids, but if I was blessed with a son and he wanted sound, he'd be getting a pair of torn 6x9's stuffed into OSB shoe boxes powered by whatever the local metal yard salvages from its electronics pile.

If he ever grew tired of that, he could run downstairs and listen to Dad's system.

• Moderators

One of the main reasons my son has such nice gear is he actually takes care of his stuff. the way you see how organized his audio gear is exactly like the rest of his room. neat, orderly and everything has a certain place it goes

... I don't have kids, but if I was blessed with a son and he wanted sound, he'd be getting a pair of torn 6x9's stuffed into OSB shoe boxes powered by whatever the local metal yard salvages from its electronics pile.

If he ever grew tired of that, he could run downstairs and listen to Dad's system.

+1

I think my first stereo system was some all-in-one unit from JCP. No tuner, but a wood base with a turntable, and an amplifier built in. The cheap speakers that came with it must have been 16 ohm, because I got some other speakers from some place, and played music pretty loud (loud for our home, anyway). It quit one day, so my dad drove it over to a repair shop. The guy didn't want to fix it under warranty, because he was sure I had messed with it. Turns out, the output transistors had so much currrent going through them that the solder melted and they fell off the PCB.

My first good system was a JVC integrated, Teac RTR, Philips GA 212 turntable and JBL 4311s. I still have the JBLs.

My oldest just used ours at home, but his first that he bought was a Yamaha receiver and some JBL L36 speakers he picked up (We had my JBL 4311s at home at the time).

The youngest has one of my HK430 receivers and the L36s now, since the oldest has some franken heresy speakers.

Neither had their own system until they left the house. I had saved up money from my paper route.

Bruce

Well Youth, I got my first system at 11 from my older brother who sent me his first system he bought while stationed in Germany in 1968. It consisted of a Grundig stereo shortwave with those purdy glowing things in it;-) It had a pair of two way mains with 10" woofs. I saved all my pennies and went to a local audio store in downtown San Antonio and they put a real nice DIN plug on my Dual table I bought from them second hand with what may have been the first run Shure V15's and as they say the rest is history!

Fast forward to this last Christmas when my wife finally allowed me to set my now 11 and 9 year old boys up with their first system. '89 HK 670 twin receiver, a pair of late 80's Vandersteen 2C's, Nakamichi CDC 200 5-Disc Changer and an RCA to mini for iPod connection. Not the best but they sure like shaking the foundation with it when allowed[:o]

post-18681-13819736555288_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819767225868_thumb.jpg

post-18681-1381979419957_thumb.jpg

Man oh man, your son is a lucky guy to get such a sweet setup at a young age! But that 's cool he takes care of his things, I would be hard pressed to let someone have such a sweet system as the rf-7's unless they took immaculate care of them. What type of music does he listen to?

• Moderators

Great looking setup for your son Kaiser. Just curious, you mention they shake the foundation. Do they have large drivers in them? Very thin speaker. I'm not familiar with them.

I would be hard pressed to let someone have such a sweet system
as the rf-7's unless they took immaculate care of them. What type of
music does he listen to?

Honestly, he hasn't put a scratch or dent on them and I trust him to take care of them and know he will as he does with all of his stuff. As far as his listening preference, he loves anything with a beat (hip/hop, rap and now he's getting into dubstep).

Well I have one son and 3 daughters. My girls could care less about a sweet stereo (phew!). LOL

The audio rigs will cost less than the weddings... I'm just sayin' Confused

Bruce

That is hilarious Bruce[:o]

THX Youthman, both my boys love music already, go figure[8-|] Here's Richard's site info on them http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2ce_rv.html considered a fine speaker for the price by many an audiophool[:P] I picked this pair up for 3 bones[Y]

My son isn't old enough to take care of things like this when he is and is ready he will have a system, but my 9 year old daughter received some 45s from a friend of mine. Now she has a technics tt sourced to a Sansui receiver I picked up off cl with CD player and cabinet all for 10 dollars. My father in law gave me his yamahas from the 80s that house some 15s. She thinks she can shake the house until dad kicks on his system[:D].

My first two channel system was some no name speakers and a pioneer receiver that I kick my self in the head for giving to my cousin that just threw it away when it quit working. It was replaced by a another Pioneer receiver I bought 15 years ago when I was 15 with money I saved from my paper route that I bought from circuit city as well. Funny how some others kind of have the same story, Pioneer, Circuit City, paper routes.

I still have that same receiver in the garage I am currently repairing for my work. I also am currently using the 6 disc CD changer I bought and my dad is using the tape deck I bought. Funny back then I had a better system in my room then my parents did(but then again they didn't even have a system). Now that my mom is out of the house my dad does[6].